• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do the Cursed Bobokoblins Evolve into Redeads?

Actually, it does. Zoras were given the capacity to change and adapt (aka evolve)

They were bestowed that by their Guardian, most likely. Some of the Zoras choose to Evolve, some probably didnt. And those who did would have to get scales from Valoo, to be able to fly.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Isn't it implied in OoT that the ReDeads in Castle Town could correspond to some of the Hylians that were there in the past, or is everyone accounted for in other locations in the future?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
ReDeads are deceased and reanimated humans by my understanding. They are naturally malicious and will serve Ganon as he is the king of all evil, however he is not their creator since they exist in Hyrule before his rise to power.

Cursed Bokoblins are just cursed Bokoblins, The way they assault Link is probably a nod to the way ReDeads attack in OOT rather than it being indicative of them one day becoming ReDeads.

Isn't it implied in OoT that the ReDeads in Castle Town could correspond to some of the Hylians that were there in the past, or is everyone accounted for in other locations in the future?

Save for a couple of characters, almost everyone was accounted for, at least as far as the migration from Castle Town to Kakariko is concerned.

ReDeads are deceased and reanimated humans by my understanding. They are naturally malicious and will serve Ganon as he is the king of all evil, however he is not their creator since they exist in Hyrule before his rise to power.

Cursed Bokoblins are just cursed Bokoblins, The way they assault Link is probably a nod to the way ReDeads attack in OOT rather than it being indicative of them one day becoming ReDeads.

I think you make a good point about that, however, Ganondorf could have very well created those Redeads in the graveyard to spread chaos throughout the kingdom in the Child Link era. Since we'll never really know which if that happened or not, I think it's safer to say that the dead are dead and what's dead can't change into another creature (that is, unless the T/G-Virus from RE invaded Hyrule, but that's another can of worms entirely. :P ).

Now, if we were to bring the Redeads of Ikana into the discussion, I think the same thing applies- like Ganondorf's garden variety, they too are the product of a curse.

Save for a couple of characters, almost everyone was accounted for, at least as far as the migration from Castle Town to Kakariko is concerned.

Except for all the other people that lived there? We didnt get to explore quite everything in the town. Even in the market there were like 10-15 people standing by each market stand.
Theyre dead, all of them ;-;

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
For something to evolve, it has to have the capacity to do so. Since we're dealing with something dead that has been brought to life by a curse or what have you, it doesn't have any capacity to evolve, as it's dead. The only way that it could evolve is if something gave it the ability to do so. Redeads if I recall are little more than constructs of magic created by Ganondorf, and Cursed Bokoblins are, well, cursed.

Aka "No, it can't."

According to the ReDead Trophy in Super Smash Bros Melee ReDeads were conjured up with evil magic, while Cursed Bokoblins are actual zombies of once-living Bokoblins. Having similar attack patterns is not enough of a reason to suggest any relation.

Then wouldn't it be possible that the Redeads are animated by the curse of the (as I like to call them) "Zombokoblins"? Not implying evolution here—rather it has more to do with the natural course of decomposition and/or emaciation as something is dying [from a lack of food]. But both of these creatures appear to be able to elude death as they are undead. They are both enlivened by the "curse", or "evil magic" it has been called, that Demise supposedly passed on to them. Looking at this chronologically, it would make sense that the Cursed Bokoblins are the precedents to Redeads, and that they over time became an emaciated version of the undead Bokoblin.

the_legend_of_zelda_skyward_sword_conceptart_B4jSy.jpg
Zombie1.png

Their complexion, facial composition, and mass are all obviously different (not to mention that the Cursed Bokoblin has bones showing), and the fact that they live underground/indoors for the most part shows that they could have developed a different physique as time went on. The name "Redeads" implies that they were brought back to life, so I believe that the curse of the Zombokoblins is the cause of this. Additionally, since Redeads are found underground, then there should be an evident lack of food; hence why they are shown to have scrawnier builds in later games.

Then wouldn't it be possible that the Redeads are animated by the curse of the (as I like to call them) "Zombokoblins"? Not implying evolution here—rather it has more to do with the natural course of decomposition and/or emaciation as something is dying [from a lack of food]. But both of these creatures appear to be able to elude death as they are undead. They are both enlivened by the "curse", or "evil magic" it has been called, that Demise supposedly passed on to them. Looking at this chronologically, it would make sense that the Cursed Bokoblins are the precedents to Redeads, and that they over time became an emaciated version of the undead Bokoblin.

the_legend_of_zelda_skyward_sword_conceptart_B4jSy.jpg
Zombie1.png

Their complexion, facial composition, and mass are all obviously different (not to mention that the Cursed Bokoblin has bones showing), and the fact that they live underground/indoors for the most part shows that they could have developed a different physique as time went on. The name "Redeads" implies that they were brought back to life, so I believe that the curse of the Zombokoblins is the cause of this. Additionally, since Redeads are found underground, then there should be an evident lack of food; hence why they are shown to have scrawnier builds in later games.

I have no doubt that the curse that created them come from the same source, and that they're two very similar creatures. Both of their forms are heavily decayed or outright emaciated. You bring up a good point that the Cursed Bokoblins likely are the predecessors to the Redead (this wouldn't surprise me at all, actually), but the chances of them changing from one to the other is rather slim. Beyond the idea that they are undead and were created from a curse, I don't really see much of a relation between them.

But both of these creatures appear to be able to elude death as they are undead. They are both enlivened by the "curse", or "evil magic" it has been called.

Ah, of course^-^
This has to be the theory that makes most sense to me; they are simply afflicted by the same curse. Makes Sense.
Its probably not more complicated than that.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Well Fi confirms the cursed bokoblins are boks who return from the dead "through its hatred of this world...and its attachment to outlandish underpants." (source)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Then wouldn't it be possible that the Redeads are animated by the curse of the (as I like to call them) "Zombokoblins"? Not implying evolution here—rather it has more to do with the natural course of decomposition and/or emaciation as something is dying [from a lack of food].

So you think that the ReDeads are the Cursed Bokoblins and that the physical changes are the result of decomposition? That doesn't make much sense.

For one, the ReDeads are taller. Decomposition can't do that. The ReDeads have a totally different physical structure too. Decomposition is a deterioration of the body but for the Cursed Bokoblins to become ReDeads they would need to grow in various ways. That just can't happen over time because they are dead.
Living underground can change an organism's physique over time but getting taller would not be one of those changes. Anyway, that process is evolution which dead things aren't capable of.

As well as that, ReDeads appear in several different forms. The Wind Waker ones are completely different to the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask ones and the Twilight Princess ReDeads are also totally different.

Not all ReDeads live underground either and there are several cows found underground too which means there's not a complete lack of food down there, but now I'm just being facetious.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're saying but it just souds incredibly unlikely that the Cursed Bokoblins could ever actually be the ReDeads.
Yes, both enemies being created as a result of the same or a very similar curse is likely, but for them to actually be the same bodies strikes me as too far-fetched.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I have no doubt that the curse that created them come from the same source, and that they're two very similar creatures. Both of their forms are heavily decayed or outright emaciated. You bring up a good point that the Cursed Bokoblins likely are the predecessors to the Redead (this wouldn't surprise me at all, actually), but the chances of them changing from one to the other is rather slim. Beyond the idea that they are undead and were created from a curse, I don't really see much of a relation between them.

Your concern is essentially answered in the various sections below:

So you think that the ReDeads are the Cursed Bokoblins and that the physical changes are the result of decomposition? That doesn't make much sense.

I was struggling to come up with the right term, but decomposition kept rising to the top. I basically meant the overall decay that time affected as it went from Skyward Sword's era to Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, and so on—cellular deterioration, if you will. The skin of the Cursed Bokoblins became a brown shriveling rug that covered their bones, their faces became "wooden" masks, and the hair and horns fell off, although the eventual Redeads maintained their physical structure.

For one, the ReDeads are taller. Decomposition can't do that. The ReDeads have a totally different physical structure too. Decomposition is a deterioration of the body but for the Cursed Bokoblins to become ReDeads they would need to grow in various ways. That just can't happen over time because they are dead.
Living underground can change an organism's physique over time but getting taller would not be one of those changes. Anyway, that process is evolution which dead things aren't capable of.

To me, this is where the emaciation comes in, although it I could be biologically wrong on this. I'm just thinking about becoming taller as they develop a scrawnier frame; not all things are tall and skinny necessarily, but Redeads are both of those. Another thing is that they're undead. Now, I'm prone to think that this means they're bodies aren't alive in any way which would also stymie cell growth), and that the evil magic is all that's keeping them mobile, but I also like surmising that the "curse" is not only what makes them move, but grow as well.

Both of these are things I can't validate, but I think the hypothetical curse justifies the explanation for them.

As well as that, ReDeads appear in several different forms. The Wind Waker ones are completely different to the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask ones and the Twilight Princess ReDeads are also totally different.

I don't know. Overall, I believe Nintendo has stuck pretty close to how the Redead/Zombokoblin designs correlate.

Wind Waker - Recall that these Redeads are found in coffins in this game. The enclosed space might have caused their bodies to not deteriorate or emaciate, but stay closer to the Bokoblin side of things. Contrary to OoT Redeads, WW's had a gray complexion instead of the original taupe, and they're almost more elephantine—just look at the ears—which tells me that they stuck to the Bokoblin side of things. Their predecessors could also have placed their undead bodies in coffins to ward off unwanted intruders in Dungeons and such.

Twilight Princess - And here the TP Redeads are wrapped in bandages. Now, this is later on down the timeline, so it's possible that the decomposition really begins at this point (as well as the curse's curative effects). They wear bandages so that their bodies don't deteriorate as quickly. That, or they were used to guard the prison known as Arbiter's Ground and were patched up as they lay dying from some huge revolt. I like to think the former suits this explanation better.

Not all ReDeads live underground either and there are several cows found underground too which means there's not a complete lack of food down there, but now I'm just being facetious.

Really can't argue with that.
xd.gif

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're saying but it just souds incredibly unlikely that the Cursed Bokoblins could ever actually be the ReDeads.
Yes, both enemies being created as a result of the same or a very similar curse is likely, but for them to actually be the same bodies strikes me as too far-fetched.

This is really just an attempt at branching this theory out a little more. Original hypotheses happen to be far-fetched a lot, but that's what makes seeking the end results seemingly worthwhile. Already more things came to mind because you prompted me to think about them better. In reality I'm not particularly good at theorizing—or rather, theorizing and backing it up sensibly. So thanks for putting up this challenge. x3

Last edited:
but I also like surmising that the "curse" is not only what makes them move, but grow as well.

Its an interesting theory, I'll give you that, but it seems really far-fetched.
How come we arent finding any giant ReDeads if the curse were to keep them growing?

T

The Lost Link

Cursed Bokoblins are not much different from Redeads gameplay wise. Both attempt to gnaw at Link's head and both grab onto him. The difference is that redead can paralyze Link with there scream whereas Cursed Bokoblins can't. I suppose appearance and movement patterns are different but still. Cursed Bokoblins are also not really zombies and are like the Cursed Keese in the sixth dungeon. Cursed is something else although they do still look pretty dead, and stupid, to me. The two creatures are also different forms of life so I doubt they are related.

Since Demise supposedly created Bokoblins I would imagine that the Cursed ones are those who he or someone else banished into the depths of the earth since they come from the bones piles below the Ancient Cistern. This could be because they defiled the cistern or because they disobeyed Demise in the war against Hylia. None of this can really be confirmed since they didn't really give that much information about the war. I don't really see how any of the other races other than the Gorons and maybe the Ancient Robots could even fight the armies of Demise.

Fi also mentions that the Cursed Bokoblins reanimated after death because of their hatred of this world...

This horrifying Bokoblin reanimates after death. Analysis indicates it fears pure, shiny items and will startle at the sight of a sacred shield.

It is able to reanimate purely through its hatred of this world...and its attachment to outlandish underpants.

(Why Demise made them look the way they do I will never know)

200px-Zombie_Bokoblin[1].jpg

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Redeads and Cursed Bokoblins

I think that Redeads were once living humans witch have been cursed to walk the land forever, never resting (there some form of zombie). They seam to be angry wanting the living to join them, so they scream in anger freezing there victims with fear until they pounce (ether they are hungry or they can only bite to kill). Cursed Bokoblins are probably cursed with the same or a similar dark magic (they were once living Bokoblins) and are meant to do a similar thing. But how knows why they do not scream like Redeads. Redeads and Cursed Bokoblins are not descended from each other because they are corpses of different species but even though we only see Cursed Bokoblins in SS but although unseen technically there could still be Redeads in Hyrule during and before SS takes place. Readead's are probably not seen in SS because the game developers had a Bokoblin theme going on in the game and they wanted to have an enemy to take the place of Redeads for SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom