• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #008: Where's the Light Temple?

(NOTE: Discussion #007 was merged with another similar thread by the fellow moderators, so you can find it in a thread related to the Poe collector)

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. There's six different medallions in Ocarina of Time, and you achive all six of them. But, the first medallion you get is for doing absolutly nothing, the Light Medallion. Why? Let's have a look...

After getting the three Spiritual Stones and retriving the Master Sword in Ocarina of Time, you end up in the Chamber of Sages. The first thing you see is Rauru, the Sage of Light. He then gives you the first medallion before you even do anything. For the rest of the medallions you have to complete a dungeon which is themed on the medallion itself. But then you don't have to complete a dungeon to get the Light Medallion. Maybe because you wouldn't know what to do if Rauru wasn't there, maybe Nintendo did it in purpurse. But for some reason Rauru says that a Light Temple does exist, so why did Nintendo bother putting that if you don't get to see it?!

Perhaps Nintendo did orignally plan there to be a Light Temple, but they ditched the idea because it would take too much time. What would it have even looked like? Or maybe even the Chamber of the Sages IS the Light Temple! Nobody actually knows, the list of speculations is endless. Even in Twilight Princess, you do get to go to the Temple of Time which is a dungeon beyond the Master Sword, so maybe that's the original Light Temple. But places had moved in Hyrule since Ocarina of Time, so that's not really useful.

What do you think? There's lots and lots of ideas, and I've only listed a few. Post what you think below!

- GreenGyser :chu:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The way I always saw it was that The Chamber of the Sages was in the Light Temple. When Link lifts the Master Sword, I think he enters the Sacred Realm and the equivalent location in the Sacred Realm is the Chamber of the Sages in the Light Temple.

In Skyward Sword, Link repeatedly enters the Silent Realm. Each of these is named after one of the Goddesses and Link finds the Triforce in the Silent Realm too, which lends credence to the idea that the Silent Realm is the Sacred Realm. I think this is true. Based on that, I think the Sacred Realm is geographically the same as Hyrule, just existing in a different reality. After all, in A Link To The Past, we are told that Ganondorf entered the Golden Land (the name for the Sacred Realm in that game) and touched the Triforce. He was sealed after The Imprisoning War and turned the Golden Land into the Dark World. Since the Dark World shares an extremely similar geography with Hyrule, I think this is further evidence to support the view that the Sacred Realm is geographically the same as Hyrule.

Working from that, I think what is the Temple of Time in Hyrule is the Light Temple in the Sacred Realm. Rauru explains that the Temple of Time was built to protect the entrance to the Sacred Realm so since the entrance in Hyrule has a Temple protecting it, it seems logical that the Sacred Realm would have a Temple protecting the same place. The Temple of Time also has Rauru's symbol on the floor where you appear when you warp there. This may simply be because Rauru built the Temple but it may also hint that the Temple is linked to the Light Temple. I also think the Triforce may have been housed within the Light Temple as well.

That's my thoughts on the matter. I was worried I had missed Discussion #007 when I saw this thread.

Last edited:
The way I always saw it was that The Chamber of the Sages was in the Light Temple. When Link lifts the Master Sword, I think he enters the Sacred Realm and the equivalent location in the Sacred Realm is the Chamber of the Sages in the Light Temple.

In Skyward Sword, Link repeatedly enters the Silent Realm. Each of these is named after one of the Goddesses and Link finds the Triforce in the Silent Realm too, which lends credence to the idea that the Silent Realm is the Sacred Realm. I think this is true. Based on that, I think the Sacred Realm is geographically the same as Hyrule, just existing in a different reality. After all, in A Link To The Past, we are told that Ganondorf entered the Golden Land (the name for the Sacred Realm in that game) and touched the Triforce. He was sealed after The Imprisoning War and turned the Golden Land into the Dark World. Since the Dark World shares an extremely similar geography with Hyrule, I think this is further evidence to support the view that the Sacred Realm is geographically the same as Hyrule.

Working from that, I think what is the Temple of Time in Hyrule is the Light Temple in the Sacred Realm. Rauru explains that the Temple of Time was built to protect the entrance to the Sacred Realm so since the entrance in Hyrule has a Temple protecting it, it seems logical that the Sacred Realm would have a Temple protecting the same place. The Temple of Time also has Rauru's symbol on the floor where you appear when you warp there. This may simply be because Rauru built the Temple but it may also hint that the Temple is linked to the Light Temple. I also think the Triforce may have been housed within the Light Temple as well.

That's my thoughts on the matter. I was worried I had missed Discussion #007 when I saw this thread.

That's what I think too! :-D ...and Discussion #007 can be found in the comments here: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f31/who-ghost-guy-ocarina-time-20354-3.html

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
Rauru actually does say something about this.

While the Chamber of Sages is not itself the Temple of Light, it is within it.

I never noticed that! Thanks for bringing it up. But what if the chamber of sages is only one room in the light temple? What would the outside and other rooms look like? :thinking:

Garo

Boy Wonder
The Temple of Time is the gateway to the Sacred Realm within the normal realm. Likewise, the Temple of Life is the gateway to the normal realm within the Sacred Realm. That's my take on things, given that Link always enters and then exits the Sacred Realm through the Chamber of the Sages.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
They I thought was that the Chamber of the Sages was in the Light Temple. That's where Rauru, the Light Sage first greets you so that's what I assume.

•The Young Hero Remains Asleep

While Link was able to pull out the Master Sword, his body was too young to be a hero. Hence, the Master Sword sealed Link in the Sacred realm.

The ancient sage Rauru managed to protect the small space called the Chamber of Sages inside the Temple of Light, the pillar of the Sacred Realm. Rauru watched over Link as he remained asleep for 7 years.

Princess Zelda had no other option but to wait for Link’s seal to break. In order to escape from the Demon King, she impersonated a young Sheikah boy and kept her identity hidden under the name of Sheik.

Source: Pg. 87 Ocarina of Time

In a nutshell, the Chamber of Sages rests inside the Temple of Light, which resides within the Sacred Realm. Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought this was made apparent by Rauru in Ocarina of Time. :hmm:

Off-topic, yet related tidbit:

•Hyrule Gets Engulfed in Dark Clouds

The Sacred Realm is a mirror of one’s heart. If someone with an evil heart steps into it, it turns into a demonic world. But if someone with a pure heart enters it, it turns into a paradise. Ganondorf became the Demon King thanks to the triforce of power. With the exception of a few places, the Sacred Realm turned into a demonic world where monsters ran amok.

Hyrule castle and its town fell under the total control of Ganondorf, and the survivors ran away to Kakariko Village.

Source: Pg. 87 Ocarina of Time

The Temple of Time also has Rauru's symbol on the floor where you appear when you warp there. This may simply be because Rauru built the Temple but it may also hint that the Temple is linked to the Light Temple. I also think the Triforce may have been housed within the Light Temple as well.

This is all very interesting! But I just want to throw in the fact that the Ocarina of Time beta did include a temple where you received the triforce in the end. Maybe this was supposed to be the Light Temple? It was removed from the game of course. And I never noticed the fact about the warp pad in the Temple of Time being Rauru's Medallion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom