• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Devil May Cry 5. Aka: NINJA THEORY WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO?!

Valexi

Hylian Thief
I'm not sure how many DMC fans there are on this forum, so this thread might die off before it starts, but I felt like sharing anyway.

Devil May Cry 5.
Meet the new Dante:

dmc5-00943.jpg

Trailer:

Destructoid said:
http://www.destructoid.com/tgs-today-s-rebellious-youth-inspired-devil-may-cry-183979.phtml
The newly revealed Devil May Cry game, DmC, is a collaborative effort between Capcom Japan, Capcom USA, and Ninja Theory. This reboot of sorts plays with the tried and true hallmarks of the series, and a lot of the visual changes seem to have come from Ninja Theory. Their Tameen Antoniades, DmC's co-director, took the stage tonight at a pre-TGS Capcom event to reveal where he pulled some inspiration from.

Antoniades said that the original games had a massive impact on him, with their music, fashion sense and overall look, so he wanted to continue with that same level of impact in this new game. He said that DmC pulls inspiration from today's rebellious youth. The development team looked to current fashion, music, street art, and general attitudes while working on the game in an effort to bring some freshness to the series. Despite these changes, he stated that they want to keep the essence of classic Devil May Cry game play intact.

Capcom supervising director Hideaki Itsuno took the stage with Antoniades to support the changes, saying that they brought a "unique sense of cool" to the series, while Capcom brought the know-how and "DNA" of the series. He said that these will combine to make the best Devil May Cry game they possibly can.

PlayStationLifestyle said:
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/09/15/capcom-announces-ninja-theorys-dmc/
When Capcom registered a recent trademark “DMC” it sparked speculation that the next iteration in the Devil May Cry series would be announced during Capcom’s TGS’s presser. Now, the publisher has announced a new Devil May Cry reboot, titled DmC.

Capcom confirmed the reboot is in development by Heavenly Sword creators Ninja Theory. It’s being developed in America. A trailer, showcased to the audience, showed a young and fresh Dante in a red and black coat holding two pistols as well as a sword where he is asked for his name in a mental institution.

The next installment of the multi-million selling Devil May Cry franchise, DmC sees Capcom collaborating with UK based Ninja Theory to explore new frontiers for the series. Capcom said:

“From its debut on PlayStation 2 in 2001, the Devil May Cry series has been synonymous with stylish action, rewarding combat and a brash, smart-talking protagonist. This ‘Devil May Cry DNA’ remains but is now injected with a dark and brutal gameplay that promises to redefine the franchise. A true collaboration, DmC sees the team at Ninja Theory joined by key staff from Capcom’s R&D division. Creative direction for the title will be undertaken by Ninja Theory’s Tameem Antoniades and overseen by Hedeaki Itsuno, who has worked on all previous titles in the series. DmC is being co-produced by Capcom’s Japanese and North American development operations.”

Set against a contemporary backdrop, DmC will depict a duplicitous world where nothing is ever as it seems and the line between good and evil is constantly blurred. Spurred into action by the promises of a trusted relation, Dante bursts into this world intent on revenge at any cost. DmC will retain the series’ signature mix of sword and gunplay but add additional weapons, all new powers and a revitalised gameplay system as players encounter the game’s devilish mix of enemies and navigate the rich, interactive environment. DmC is in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Screenshots:
tgstrailerscreengrabs00.jpg

tgstrailerscreengrabs01q.jpg

tgstrailerscreengrabs01.jpg

tgstrailerscreengrabs02.jpg

Now, THIS IS ALL JUST MY OPINION, but...

The pros:
Wow, awesome new weapons. A sword that changes shape is a pretty neat idea. The action still seems to be there, and personally I like the whole psychotic flare. Seems like one of those games that will leave you wondering if it's really happening or not until the end. New enemies are an improvement. I mean, fighting stuffed scarecrows with blades attached was fun and all, but these guys seem like a decent upgrade. Gameplay and battle system is important to the DMC series, so I hope they keep or even improve upon this factor.

The cons:
WHAT DID YOU DO TO DANTE? THIS GUY ISN'T DANTE. DANTE ISN'T AN ANGSTY HIPSTER WHO SMOKES. Calm down. Anyway, that's my main disagreement with what I'm seeing so far. I've been thinking on ways how it couldn't be Dante. I was thinking maybe this guy is a psychopath who convinced himself he's Dante or something. But, apparently this game is supposed to be a REBOOT. A reboot?! Really?! Why? There was nothing wrong with the series, and I don't see the need to try and fix something that isn't broken.
Another thing is his voice. This is supposed to be a "younger Dante," then why is his voice so low? Are they implying that a mans voice gets higher with age? Anyway, since this is a reboot, maybe it's just....different. Like a spin off sort of thing. But, I just hope they bring back the Dante we all know and love, because I don't think I can bare a repeat of DMC2.

Either way, I'll hold judgment until the game is actually released. I don't believe you can accurately gauge a game until you play it, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But, really, why are they straying away from the good ol' Dante?
Ah well....I shall wait in patience and hope for the best.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Don't tell me I'm the only DMC fan here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
I haven't played all of them, but I have watched most of the DMC cutscenes on Youtube to understand this story. I just don't understand why Capcom is rebooting all of their games. I don't like this Dante either and I hope Reuben Langdon will at least get to play this character.

Why is it though, these little monsters that's he's fighting remind me of Kingdom Hearts?:rolleyes:

D

Dud-a-Chum?

Progression? Innovation? Something NEW?!

How DARE they!!!
-.-

A

Apple of Wisdom

Can't you see his white hair in this? I don't understand why everyone is freaking out.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Well, I'm not really freaking out as much as when I first saw the trailer, but the thing is Dante was born with white hair.

content

But, as mentioned before, this is supposed to be a reboot, so I suppose they're changing things around.
Anyway, the more I watch the trailer the more I'm okay with it.
But smoking is still not really Dantes style.
It's like they're trying too hard to "appeal to western gamers."
Everything else looks fine though. This would be getting a much better reception if it was its own game and didn't have the DMC title attached to it.
People would be loving it, but since DMC does have a reputation to uphold there was a serious backlash with the new design.

A

Apple of Wisdom

But I think you misunderstood what i said. I saw white hair in the trailer.

As for him smoking, I don't know how I feel about that.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
I know that his hair is turning white in the trailer, but what I'm saying is that Dante was born with white hair, so why did it turn black? I'm sure they're going to play off the whole "it turns more white the more he discovers his demonic abilities" thing, but it's just bothering me.

A

Apple of Wisdom

Personally it doesn't bug me. I hope they don't change TOO much. After all, we don't want it to be called "Devil May Cry" for nothing. Is there any information as of such this is a prequel or a reboot?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Well, I've been listening to the music, per Axle's request, and from the names I gather the series to be pretty dark. I would actually like to try this out, but I'd need to get all four other games played before I picked up this one.

Massively infectious bump, Thareous.

Yeah, DMC [not DMC 5] is a prequel of sorts featuring a much younger Dante, who is apparently fighting an inner "angel" and "demon" side this time around, and the game will reportedly explain why his hair turned white [or something to that effect]. Devil Trigger will reportedly be replaced with a new mode in which his hair becomes white for a limited time [along with the usual power-ups], though it has admittedly been a while since I've been updated on the latest news...:yes:

A "bump", in this case, is basically when you wake up a seemingly inactive thread after a long while [usually a week to a month or so], but I think what you did is more like a revival, which is essentially an epic bump... :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Oh... :lol: Well, the majority of the replies before mine were on the 19th, though, so I thought it was fine.

But please, back to the main discussion ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom