• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Destructible Environments

An increasingly popular option in videogames which Zelda has yet to integrate is destructible environments. While Link's items can trash some objects around him, most are impervious to damage from his arsenal.

Would you like to use the Ball & Chain once more to crush impediments in Link's path? Or the hammer to break torches? Should bombs be given a greater role aside from those easy to spot cracks in the wall?

Given that the damage caused wouldn't hinder progress to make the game unplayable, for example, tarnishing a bridge Link needs to cross, would you support destructible environments in Zelda? Or given the franchise's dungeon gameplay, is this something that cannot be implemented without ruining the series essence?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes. I remembering replying to a thread where some user's original post had something to do with using the terrain to aid you in defeating foes, but it'd also serve to hinder you in many ways as well. That would allow for a much more engaging layer of combat; there wouldn't be a safe spot when you're in enemy territory since they could topple towers to harm you and this would keep you on your toes (obviously).

And I mean, what harm could this bring to the series? Unless NIntenod warps it to be a boring concept, I do not see wher ethe problems reside.

I don't know, things in Zelda are really pretty, chipping bits off of the Bridge of Eldin in a fight would be a shame, same goes for a lot of other places too. I think i'd prefer Zelda without it.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I'd like to be able to wield my trusty shovel and litter the ground with pitfalls and holes of various sizes and heights enough to turn the forest floor into swiss cheese, and I would like to be able to do this in glorious widescreen. Just saying.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I rather like the level of destruction in Zelda. You can bust up pots... I think it would be nice if more furinture items were bust-able. There would be a touch of realism if you broke your sword (not the Master Sword, for it is special) against walls and stuff - though that could get annoying to have to buy new swords. (One of my habits when I am frustrated on a puzzle is to go to the nearest wall and just whail on it to blow off steam and I know if the game resembled real life, my Link would lose a lot of swords that way)...

Rutella has a point about the pretty scenery and not being allowed to mess it up.

When I saw the title of this topic, I thought about a game I only played partway through as yet - Gungrave - it gives you bonuses for destroying absolutely everything, and even then, there are a few things you can't destroy. (I recall not being able to shoot up the steel elevator platform that's taking you up a building, but you *can,* with enough shooting, make cars explode/catch fire).

It would be kind of funny if Link could bomb some platform or bridge he was on, then immediately fall to his Game Over. It would be cartoonish, Link pulling Wile E. Coyote stuff.

So, I don't know. I think I'm pretty comfortable with the destruction as it stands. Link can destroy some things, but other things are meant to be permenant. Also, going into houses and coming out again makes pots reappear like magic - and that has always amused me.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think it is good idea. I know OoT was going to feature it back when it was on the 64DD. I totally like the idea of piling up rocks to dam lava flows or having my bombs leave craters. It would add a level of fun and interactiveness to the game. I can only imagine what nintendo could do with this.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
In a way I would say Yes because it would definitely make the game feel and play more realistically, having the ability to alter the landscape and structure around you would make for a neat feature. Plus you could see the consequences and true power of your actions.

However I would also No. Zelda games I have never seen as being realistic so by having this feature it would certainly change certain aspects. Also I love the landscapes and structures in the 3D Zelda games, if one was able to just destroy them (even by accident) it would take away from the game. There is also the problem how this would affect the story and specific cut scenes, if we were able to destroy walls then why couldn't we simply break are way through dungeon walls and whatnot.

Clank

Hmm
I would support it, but not to minecraft extent

The way I see it is that some items need to be indestructible(like the landscape, and bridges), and most stuff needs to unbreak when it is reloaded(like pots) aka when you leave then reenter a house.

But that is just my opinion.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Oh man, I though you were talking about level destruction like in Red Faction. That was a fun game.

I'm on the fence on this one, because while it would be really cool to think of alternative paths through something or just blast away at the scenery for ***** and giggles, part of me doesn't want to see the beautiful landscapes scarred by my battles.

Idunno.

I would love to be able to destroy the gorund so i could quickly bury a bomb and watch as a Lizalfos trambles on my improvised mine LOL

But overall no it is too pretty

I think It'd be pretty cool, it'd depend on the engine and the specs.
Dosen't seem like something Nintendo would care about though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom