• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Demises Origins

Where could demise have come from it says he was the source of evil so could it be possible that he started out as a human? He probably wanted the triforce for his evil needs so the gods sent him into a realm that was used as his prison. Which would explain his hatred for the gods his hatred formed the monsters but how he became a demon I don't know.

Well, seeing as it (Demise) "exists outside of time", one can never know for certain where it originated. It is safe to say, however, that it has been there since the very beginning—whenever that was...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Some people believe that Demise is based off Satan (demon king, source of all evil, rival to the goddess). If this is true, then Demise would have started off as an "angel" to the goddess, who decided to turn away from good, and join the dark side. I would be very interested if Nintendo made a game to represent this story, because it would really add depth to Demise's character. It would also prove his title of "demon king" in religious terms.

I don't really see Nintendo doing something like this, though, because it could aggravate a lot of people. It might be cool if they actually decided to do it, though.

Some people believe that Demise is based off Satan (demon king, source of all evil, rival to the goddess). If this is true, then Demise would have started off as an "angel" to the goddess, who decided to turn away from good, and join the dark side. I would be very interested if Nintendo made a game to represent this story, because it would really add depth to Demise's character. It would also prove his title of "demon king" in religious terms.

I don't really see Nintendo doing something like this, though, because it could aggravate a lot of people. It might be cool if they actually decided to do it, though.

Nah. Sounds too "Western mythos", which Skyward Sword isn't. If anything, it is more probable that Nintendo might have drawn inspiration from Amatsu-Mikaboshi, a figure mentioned in the Nihon Shoki as the "god of evil" or "god of the stars." However, said god does not assume a physical form like that of other gods of Japanese myth, such as Amaterasu and Tsukiyomi, but instead takes on a non-corporeal form, much like Demise is described to have done.

Furthermore, it is regarded to have existed since before the dawn of the universe itself. It is essentially evil incarnate—taking on a form that differs depending on how the given individual himself perceives evil—again, much like Demise is described to have done. The attribute of having given birth to all evil seems to eerily draw similarities to Amatsu-Mikaboshi as well, above all else...

What makes things a tad dubious is that, despite its title as "god of evil," Amatsu-Mikaboshi isn't necessarily evil, per se. In other words, he's not "Shinto Satan". If anything, however, he is the quintessential opposing force of all things "positive." This negative force is believed to have manifested in at least the majority of all of The Legend of Zelda's villains, and serves as the driving force behind Ganondorf's actions. (Which is what Nintendo was trying to tell us to begin with, but dumb. 9_9)

To the OP:

If you want to know more, just ask. I have nothing better to do... :u

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I find it tough on were to place Demise when it comes to the mythos of The Legend of Zelda . People seem to think he is the antithesis of the Golden Goddesses or in essence, the God of Darkness/evil or however you want to put it. I don't believe this is the case though, Demise, as stated in Skyward Sword if I recall, was after the Triforce. Now no God/Goddess can wield the Triforce, so why would he be after it, maybe for the same reason why it's protected. The Triforce could be a symbol of power, for whoever has possession over it basically is the figure head of that land, this was the case with Hylia, a Goddess.

I still don't know where to place him regarding the hierarchy of power, would I put him on a level of the Golden Goddesses? well to be honest I think this is rather extreme. If Hylia can seal Demise and his army of Demons, then I think he's on more of a level with Hylia - maybe a demi god of sorts or a guardian figure, that's what I'd label Hylia anyway despite her being referenced to a Goddess.

All in all I would probably just put Demise as the balance of power in Hyrule, this is well known in basic mythology, a darkness to counter light, an evil to counter good, yin and yang etcetera.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
He was a demon that popped up out of the ground. There is no origin but that. He is evil itself, he did not turn that way, he just is what he is.

Demise is the original source of all evil in the Zelda universe, similar to Melkor in the Lord of the Rings. His origin likely lies before the creation of Hyrule, along with that of the three Goddesses.

It's kind of hard to judge how he compares in power with Din Faroe and Nayru, since we rarely see them take any sort of action directly. Considering how the Zelda mythos seems to favor the power of light over darkness (Link always kicks the villain's butt in the end) I'd say he's probably weaker than them, but not to the point that they could ever completely stamp out his influence.

With that said, why is this thread in the Zelda WiiU section. Skyward Sword is A Wii game. ;)

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Naw man, I don't need to go into an origin story, I've seen far too many of those and they're kinda boring me tbh. Demise just is, there's no need to explain his powers, he just has them.

I'd rather see Demise have a stronger role in future Zelda games. Not have him appear in the flesh, mind you, but have his power and hatred more clearly visible in the other antagonists from here on out and have him referenced more in-game.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I always thought he was Zelda's equivalent of the devil. You know, the source of all evil and all that jazz. I don't think he's really meant to have a backstory; he's just there, like the goddesses.

ILU

i luv u
Nah. Sounds too "Western mythos", which Skyward Sword isn't. If anything, it is more probable that Nintendo might have drawn inspiration from Amatsu-Mikaboshi, a figure mentioned in the Nihon Shoki as the "god of evil" or "god of the stars." However, said god does not assume a physical form like that of other gods of Japanese myth, such as Amaterasu and Tsukiyomi, but instead takes on a non-corporeal form, much like Demise is described to have done.

Furthermore, it is regarded to have existed since before the dawn of the universe itself. It is essentially evil incarnate—taking on a form that differs depending on how the given individual himself perceives evil—again, much like Demise is described to have done. The attribute of having given birth to all evil seems to eerily draw similarities to Amatsu-Mikaboshi as well, above all else...

What makes things a tad dubious is that, despite its title as "god of evil," Amatsu-Mikaboshi isn't necessarily evil, per se. In other words, he's not "Shinto Satan". If anything, however, he is the quintessential opposing force of all things "positive." This negative force is believed to have manifested in at least the majority of all of The Legend of Zelda's villains, and serves as the driving force behind Ganondorf's actions. (Which is what Nintendo was trying to tell us to begin with, but dumb. 9_9)

To the OP:

If you want to know more, just ask. I have nothing better to do... :u

I had learned about this at one point, but completely forgot the name of the evil incarnate. I do believe it's very possible (maybe even likely) that this had something to do with Demise's character creation. What's more is that even Zelda's role as a shrine maiden (Benzaiten) and the inclusion of serpentine dragons bestowing gifts (serpent bestowing scales) are more references to a very specific story (Taiheiki), rather than just a few scattered ideas as we've had in the past.

It's also interesting to note that in the same book that Amatsu-Mikaboshi is the rival of Takemikazuchi, WHO WAS ACCOMPANIED BY A GOD THAT WAS A BOAT. *fangirl scream* So it really seems that the story has been referenced before, and it's not unlikely that Demise was based off this idea of evil incarnate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom