• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Demise's Curse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Demise's curse responsible for all of the villains that appear in the games? Is it possible that each Link only fights one incarnation of Demise's hatred? Ganondorf and Malladus definitely seem to be incarnations since they have similar appearances to Demise (dark with orange hair). Other than Four Swords and Minish Cap, every Link fights Ganondorf or Malladus only once. The appearance of Vaati and Ganondorf in FSA also supports the idea that he is not an incarnation of Demise's hatred.

Using the Official Timeline:
OoT(Ganondorf)/MM(Majora/not from Demise) -- TP(Ganondorf) -- FSA(Ganondorf)
| |
| \TWW(Ganondorf)/PH(Bellum/not from Demise) -- ST(Malladus)
|
\ALttP(Ganon)/OoX(Koume and Kotake/not from Demise?)/LA(Nightmare/not from Demise) -- LoZ(Ganon)/AoL(not really anyone since Ganon is not revived)

My theory has a bit of a hole from OoX since that is also Ganon, but it is the same Ganon from ALttP and he does not truly return. The larger hole is from FS and MC, but if you do include Vaati as an incarnation, this problem is solved.

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
I believe the curse is only for Ganondorf and Chancellor Cole, maybe Vatii, because these have a beast form just like demise.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I do believe Malladus is a reincarnation of Demise's hatered.Ganondorf was completly destroyed in wind waker,so like demise said,his hatered would always reincarnate,so its safe to say Malldus is also a reincarnation of demise's hatered.I would also say Agirahim,but he was possessed by Ganon.

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
You got me worried, it's Agahnim not Agirahim, I was like woah, how could I miss this villain? My speculation gear started to turn until I realized you were most likely talking about Agahnim

G

Goddess Sword

In my opinion, only Ganondorf/Ganon, and maybe Vaati, are incarnations of Demise's hatred. Why? Because you need the Master Sword to defeat Demise and Ganondorf, while it isn't needed for other vilains like Majora. The Four Sword is needed to defeat Vaati, and it is shown that it possess the power to repel evil.

Take in consideration that I haven't played the majority of the TLoZ games, so my opinion may not be exact.

Kirino

Tatakae
I'm not sure about the other villians, but i'm positive about Ganondorf. He's the only villian that would make sense, considering he appears in half the games, and I doubt Demise's reincarnation(considering how powerful he is) would be a smaller villian that appears only one or two times. Demise also looks, has the same goals, and is fought similarly to Ganon. Anyways, I think Malladus might also be Demise's reincarnation, but other vilians, like Vaati, are just there for there own things.

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
I do believe now that Vaati is 100% Demises curse. He is in almost half the games as well, all of which are hand held, but meh. I think any villain with 2 forms can be a result of Demises Curse.

The appearance of Vaati and Ganondorf in FSA also supports the idea that he is not an incarnation of Demise's hatred.
Agree

There is no doubt that Ganon is the curse of demise. I haven't played Spirit Tracks, but maybe Malladus can be product of the said curse, because I have heard him begin called The Demon King.

But I just gave a look to the wiki:

He is a powerful demon that once terrorized the land that would eventually be home to the new kingdom of Hyrule, but was locked away beneath the altar of the Tower of Spirits by the Spirits of Good of the land after a prolonged war between them.

I don't know, but it may only be Ganon, plus, I would like it more that way to be honest

Big Octo

=^)
I do believe now that Vaati is 100% Demises curse. He is in almost half the games as well, all of which are hand held, but meh. I think any villain with 2 forms can be a result of Demises Curse.
3 isn't almost half, it's a not even a fourth of the number of official games. All of which are handheld? No, FSA is console-based. And, like the OP said, he Ganon were in FSA at the same time.

Last edited:

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
I'm sorry I got mixed up. I still believe Vaati is. I would actually like it to be more than just Ganon, it gives Nintendo a reason to be creative, as well as Vaati, Vaati sets the example that the 2nd form doesn't have to be a beast, just a monster. It also allows the curse to have 2 incarnations in the world at the same time.

Is it really Demise's curse though? Or was it already in place when he was defeated...
But anyway, the curse does state than an incarnation of his hatred will always live on. It doesn't state that an incarnation will return which implies that it is not limited to just Ganondorf. Neither does it imply that because one incarnation is present, another cannot. However we can't pin all evil to Demise's curse... can we?

I just realized that if Vaati isn't part of Demise's curse, my timeline theory would make more sense (I don't really agree with the "official timeline", I just used it since it is "official).

Instead of a triple split at OoT, there are splits at SS and OoT. In SS, Demise is defeated in the present with the Statue of the Goddess. He does not curse Link and Zelda, so the Four Sword trilogy occurs, where Vaati (who isn't part of the curse) is the villain. While Ganondorf is in FSA, he was not created through the curse, explaining the differences between his backstory in FSA and other games. This would also explain why the Master Sword does not appear in the Four Sword Trilogy. On the other side of the timeline, Demise is revived and defeated in the past, so the curse does happen, leading to the other games.

Note: I haven't actually played FS or FSA, so let me know if my theory doesn't make sense for those games.

..../MC--FS/FSA
SS
....\
......\ ~~~/MM--TP--ALttP/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL
........\OoT
...............\TWW--PH--ST

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Is it really Demise's curse though? Or was it already in place when he was defeated...
But anyway, the curse does state than an incarnation of his hatred will always live on. It doesn't state that an incarnation will return which implies that it is not limited to just Ganondorf. Neither does it imply that because one incarnation is present, another cannot. However we can't pin all evil to Demise's curse... can we?
I don't think Demise initiated the curse by his own power right then and there, but was merely explaining the balance of good and evil. I do however believe that Demise's hate, at least that which is responsible for Demise's hate, is responsible for evil in the world. It has a parallel in Japanese mythology whose name I didn't endeavor to remember...

G

Goddess Sword

I just realized that if Vaati isn't part of Demise's curse, my timeline theory would make more sense (I don't really agree with the "official timeline", I just used it since it is "official).

Instead of a triple split at OoT, there are splits at SS and OoT. In SS, Demise is defeated in the present with the Statue of the Goddess. He does not curse Link and Zelda, so the Four Sword trilogy occurs, where Vaati (who isn't part of the curse) is the villain. While Ganondorf is in FSA, he was not created through the curse, explaining the differences between his backstory in FSA and other games. This would also explain why the Master Sword does not appear in the Four Sword Trilogy. On the other side of the timeline, Demise is revived and defeated in the past, so the curse does happen, leading to the other games.

Note: I haven't actually played FS or FSA, so let me know if my theory doesn't make sense for those games.

..../MC--FS/FSA
SS
....\
......\ ~~~/MM--TP--ALttP/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL
........\OoT
...............\TWW--PH--ST

I myself had the exact same theory (great minds think alike). However, I'm not sure if a split occur in SS be cause there's contradictions in time: it is mutable AND immutable. I assumed it was immutable, but this create a lot of paradoxes, like if it was mutable, the Statue would have never fallen (because Demise is defeated in the past, where the Statue is still in the Sky), but, because of this, Demise would have been resurected, so the Statue would have to fall, etc. So now I think there's a split, because it would be easier to explain why it happens, but I'm not sure (I need to play OoT to know exactly how a split can occur). Another thing: if a split occur, how does the Hylian would come down on the Surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom