• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Deku Nuts Are Underrated

Why does everyone hate Deku Nuts? I find them to be extremely useful almost the entire game. I use them to stun enemies all the time and they even kill some enemies. They're very useful items and deserve more praise!

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I agree! I used them all the time, even for fun. XD I tend to favor the "stunning" or "freezing" items -- I loved Ice Arrows and the Boomerang as well.

K

Kosholts

I don't think there underrated, I just think people forget about them (that's what I do haha). Or people refuse to use them because there cheap. (that's what my friend does)

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I must confess, the Deku Nut isn't really a commonly used item. I suppose the reason why it wasn't really used is because it seems to take up a lot of space. I mean, you had only three items to use, and (at least for me) one of them is going to be occupied by the ocarina, and the other one will be occupied by a weapon. Typically, some fights involve one or two weapons that exclude the sword, so there isn't a lot of room for the Deku Nuts.

However, if you are fast on the fingers, there isn't much a need for the Deku Nuts, for you could easily dodge all attacks. In addition, they don't even work on bosses. (I'm not so certain about mini-bosses though, so correct me if I am wrong) The Deku Nuts would be only truly useful for a person new to the 3D titles in the series and would have no clue how to dodge and all of that fun stuff. I've used them before and they're fine, but it's kinda like a stat modifying move in any title of the Pokemon games: it can make the battle easier, but it doesn't do a lot of damage (unless it's toxic...then, you're going somewhere).

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I'll use them, but just to mix things up during fights and add a little creativity, most commonly with the Gerudo guard fights. I also like using one to wake up both Iron Knuckles at the same time in Ganon's Tower, just to sort of 'taunt' them :D . For challenge purposes I much prefer dealing with them both simultaneously opposed to dropping 1 while the other just sits motionless.

. In addition, they don't even work on bosses. (I'm not so certain about mini-bosses though, so correct me if I am wrong) .

They work on Lizalfos (if you consider them as Dodongo Cavern mini-bosses .. I suppose that could be debatable since they later appear as normal enemies in the Spirit Temple), and on Gohma. They also do have an effect on Ganon ... now they don't freeze him like they do to normal enemies, but they very briefly stun him, making him shake his head a little and giving you a second or 2 to make a move on him without him taking a swing at you with his swords. That actually can come in handy during the 2nd half of the fight when he's quicker if you want to get a tail hit without pegging him with a Light Arrow first.

Last edited:

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
I find them(and other various stunning weapons) extremely useful as well. It appears that Human, "people-like" things, and some monsters are vulnerable to being stunned.

Take the Gerudo fighters in OoT for example. to free the carpenters you have to fight a Gerudo for her to drop a key. Her movements and attacks can be quite fast and unpredictable so Deku Nuts/Hookshot will work nicely and will buy you some time(preferably to set up Link to use a vertical Slash on the enemy for some major damage).

Deku Nuts work nicely against Stalfos(OoT) too. Waiting for them to open up can be a bore and Deku Nuts can hit through their shield more often than your sword. I always try to use deku nuts on tricky enemies so that I can hit them with a vertical slash when it was impossible before they were stunned.

So I say that Deku Nuts are very useful if you use the extra time they give you wisely. :)

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
I find Deku Nuts to be useful especially when I was doing a 3 Heart Run on OoT and that's also w/o using a shield in combat(except when forces you) and using Bottled Fairies,Fairy Fountains, or Red Potion.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I only use The Deku Nuts in the first dungeon. Afterwards I dont need them anymore or if i'm in Deku form in Majora's Mask.

onilink17

onilink17
Im gonna have to say most players dont really pay attention to the deku nut because there are so many other cool items to use...... my favorite haha the stick lol

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Funny thing is, my first time through the game I totally forgot they existed until I watched one of Caleb Simpson's Video Walkthroughs. After that, I used them all the time. Now I use them basically whenever I can in OoT. I don't normally use them in MM however because it just seems harder to get supplies in that game.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
There really was no reason to use them. I don't hate them, but I think they are useless. In OoT, you can only use it as a child, and in MM, I think you can only use it as a Deku (please correct me if I'm wrong). So there wasn't even that much of a chance to use them.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I agree with you and I think the main reason for that is that you get better weapons like the bow and arrow for long distance and the boomerang to sting so they become completely useless.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
There really was no reason to use them. I don't hate them, but I think they are useless. In OoT, you can only use it as a child, and in MM, I think you can only use it as a Deku (please correct me if I'm wrong). So there wasn't even that much of a chance to use them.
In Ocarina of Time you can use them as an adult too and I think you can use them in any for in Majora's Mask.

In Majora's Mask they were pretty much non existent except in the first dungeon, after that I hardly ever found or bought any. Ocarina of Time was when they shined. Especially in Lord Jabu Jabu's belly where they were perfect for killing shaboms and the only way to kill the Biri until you got the boomerang. Deku Nuts can also make the battle with the first three poe sisters faster and easier. When they turn invisible smack them with a Deku Nut then land a jump attack and repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom