• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Death Mountain

I think Death Mountain refers to a mountain range as in many games the map of the mountain is quite long and in ALTTP and ALBW Death mountain looks more like 2 mountains which would make sense considering the fact that Death Mountain could refer to a range of mountains sorrounding Hyrule from the north

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I can't say that it's the same mountain, as it's not in the same location. In The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past it is in the north. In Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, it's more in the east. In The Minish Cap, it's absent altogether. And if The Wind Waker is supposed to be after Ocarina, where is Death Mountain there? You'd think one of the islands would be Death Mountain, since it's such a large mountain, but not really. And even if you theorize that Death Mountain became Fire Mountain, the placement is still a bit off.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Death Mountain is likely always the same, since it is a mountain after all and it's not like they will disappear.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I can't say that it's the same mountain, as it's not in the same location. In The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past it is in the north. In Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, it's more in the east. In The Minish Cap, it's absent altogether. And if The Wind Waker is supposed to be after Ocarina, where is Death Mountain there? You'd think one of the islands would be Death Mountain, since it's such a large mountain, but not really. And even if you theorize that Death Mountain became Fire Mountain, the placement is still a bit off.
Hyrule moved, not the mountain. Lot more reasonable imo.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think it's the same mountain. I think TP shows a sort of zoomed out version of the OoT map. If you think about it, SS, OoT and TP essentially use consistent mapping, with small changes that can simply be attributed to retcon and/or for game design and production reasons that don't have much to do with the actual game plot lines. Also, in the real world, borders change all the time in countries. It's possible that the area shrank after the civil war so in OoT, Hyrule's space was limited and encroached upon, much like say Germany after WW1. But by the time TP arrived, Hyrule had managed to recover and grow again during the space between the two games. Essentially, though, the locations of almost everything remain the same, and the mountain is pretty much the central point of that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the first thing they draw on the map every time.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I think the reason Death mountain constantly changes is that mountains shrink over time, due to erosion. And could grow due to eruptions, since some games have large time gaps it could be both.

I think it's the same mountain every time, but since every game is a different legend being told by different people in different times of history, map layouts, shapes, and even distances get all screwed up with the word of mouth kind of storytelling.

Reactions: Aku

Tibari

Rinkuji
Some games have a Death Moutain which can be the same Death Moutain since there is one thing many Death Moutain shares: The Spectale Rock
But it only links LOZ, AOL, ALTTP, and OOT Death Moutains.

The woods have moved around more than anything else game to game. Between ocarina of time and twilight princess the woods crept all the way up to lon lon ranch (this is where the ranch link works at is in TP) its more of a possible explination than anything.

I wrote a theory on the Zelda Amino that covers this pretty well. Basically, we never see all of Hyrule in any one game and the lay of the land can vary from timeline to timeline. The Kingdom migrates from region to another overtime and there is evidence to prove it.

Example, Hyrule Castle is north of the old temple of time in Twilight Princess. This explains why Death Mountain is located in a slightly different spot. The war with the Gerudo could have resulted in the Hylians having to abandon the old Castle Town before ultimately defeating the Gerudo.

Furthermore in Four Swords Adventures the Castle is on the opposite side of Kakariko Village. This indicates yet another migration of the capital, but with such a large unexplained time gap it is hard to pinpoint a reason. However the point is that you are now approaching Death Mountain from a different angle.

So by using the Child Timeline as an example, we can see that the same Death Mountain had been explored from three different spots. My theory is that much like Hyrule itself, Death Mountain is never fully explored in any one game. Throw in the fact that the land can change overtime, and suddenly everything makes sense.

Also remember the rules of one timeline may not exist in another. This is because different events could have affected the land differently and variations can arise from this as well.

So in short, yes Death Mountain is one single mountain that is explored many times through different waypoints.

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
The name "Death Mountain" has been thrown around since the original Legend of Zelda, and ever since it has appeared in eight games. However, the so-called "Death Mountains" are very different, so now I ask: are they all the same mountain?
Or is Death Mountain a traditional Hylian term for volcano?
Just a real short thing, wanna see what people think of it. Deku out

I think they are pretty much the same mountain it's just that they are developed differently.:bomb:

I guess it's just a common name in Hyruke for a mountain that contains death by fire, death by falling rocks, or death by enemies generally.
It is the same people naming them after all. (People as in race, not the same persons)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom