• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dead Hand

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I would love to know about this creature but no one knows my own personal theory was that it was a servant of BB in life and when BB was killed as penance for his crime Dead hand was slain alongside him as his accomplice when he was resurrected thanks to his dark master's magic (B:cool: he gained a ton of hands but his actual body had none, this was because as a convicted thief a hand was taken for it, and he now haunts the well and shadow temple in futile service of his master killing any unwise enough to seek a way to Bongo Bongo.

Does any one else have any ideas on this creature?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The main bit of evidence is that we see Dead Hand twice in the game how many time do we see minibosses return in OOT in both child and adult time, other reason is we see dead hand in a place of torture and death ( Well) and a place of death and suffering (Temple) and it seems to have followed bongo bongo out of the well to me, apart from that it is mostly speculation, i ain't a fool to deny it but the main thing that did grab my attention is why would bongo bongo leave the only item that can allow people to see him and if theories to be believed once belonged to him with a monster that is of no relation, and it just seems funny with a bunch of coincidence but i'd love to see someone else's interpretation of Dead hand i haven't had much to base mine on mainly coz no one else does it ^^. One thing i gotta note well in technical terms neither DH or BB have hands but have seperate appendages and in my head it clicks with the word RELATED lol.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
Dead Hand is so creepy. I love it! This was interesting to read, but I've never heard of anything like this before...

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I generally pop up with this kind of stuff from time to time ^^ i tend to connect things totally unrelated or seemingly so and i can create a theory out of nowhere though to be fair morpha and the poe sisters are somewhat of a toughie for me. If ya want something strange and good to read check out explain Arbiter's Grounds thats an excellant theorist's topic mind you so is the temple of time, certain bosses and other things.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Yes but given the fact that BB is found in the same well that hold the tool to defeating him it's kind a given when you think in pschoanalystic terms.

Who was the old man of the well home? Most theories state this is BB and i would agree with them because the Lense of Truth is found there as a child and as an adult BB break out so it makes sense it belongs to him or the LOT is the key that kept him sealed.
Dead Hand is seen twice both in the Well and Shadow Temple, DH is the guardian of two items as well and one is needed for the battle with BB but to progress in the game after you need the other, either Dead Hand is BB's trusted servant who guarded the only thing to find him or he is in fact a reincarnation of BB itself.
Reason i stated that last little bit is BB is only seen after the Dead Hand is dead and the LOT taken from it's resting place and that makes me think each Dead Hand is a part of the shadow that is Bongo Bongo, that or they are both jailers who keep him sealed.

Either way Reptile let me have some fun everyone takes liberties with theories on the whole and it helps to make an idea of a boss or something else.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Bongo Bongo had no relation to the Lens of Truth other than the fact he could only be seen when using it. The only thing we really know about the lens was that it once belonged to an old man whose house stood where the well is now. This indicates the man himself put it there. Dead hand was residing there, but not necessarily guarding the lens.

Perhaps the Dead Hand is the man who once resided where the well stands in Ocarina of Time? The problem with this theory of course is its infinite hands which no human possesses.

Ganon5069 said:
The main bit of evidence is that we see Dead Hand twice in the game how many time do we see minibosses return in OOT in both child and adult time, other reason is we see dead hand in a place of torture and death ( Well) and a place of death and suffering (Temple) and it seems to have followed bongo bongo out of the well to me, apart from that it is mostly speculation, i ain't a fool to deny it but the main thing that did grab my attention is why would bongo bongo leave the only item that can allow people to see him and if theories to be believed once belonged to him with a monster that is of no relation, and it just seems funny with a bunch of coincidence but i'd love to see someone else's interpretation of Dead hand i haven't had much to base mine on mainly coz no one else does it . One thing i gotta note well in technical terms neither DH or BB have hands but have seperate appendages and in my head it clicks with the word RELATED lol.

The number of time the Dead Hand appears in Ocarina of Time suggests nothing for the creature appears the same on both the child and adult time. You do raise a good point of why the Dead Hand lurks in the well though. Perhaps it was positioned as a guardian of the Lens of Truth and like Bongo Bongo that item helps defeat it. While separate appendages on both do little to confirm a relation perhaps they are of the same demonic race? Maybe they are escaped spirits from the Sacred Realm released/revived by Ganondorf in much the same way as Volvagia.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Bongo Bongo was founf in the Spirit Temple. Not at the bottom of the well.

This is merely backing up theory with more theory though. Perhaps if you look deeper into this you may find some actual evidence but for now there's not much reason to assume any of this is true.

Why could he (it) ONLY be one of the roles you presented? Is it not just as possible that there are two dead hands and they are merely there as yet another unimportant enemy? We also have to fight The scorpion boss (the name escapes me) from SS twice, this doesn't indicate anything other than there were two or more of those creatures roaming around though.

Well, yeah. But that's because Dead Hand is a mini-boss and Bongo Bongo is a boss. This doesn't necessarily imply a relationship

Yes it does help to try and get to know a boss better. However you have to realise that just because something makes sense doesn't mean it is true. You need to back it up with in game quotes, situations or events. I would advise you to look at other theory threads to get a jist of how this works but it seems lately there are far too many weak theories. Perhaps that is part of my intolerance for this one.

Bongo Bongo was found escaping from the Bottom of the Well in the same cutscene you learn Nocturne of Shadows, he is then seen in the Shadow Temple, only reason i don't ahve a ton of evidence is because he is never explained in game and there isn't much to allude to him or Death Hand, i'd like to see you make a detailed analysis of why Dark Link exists in the water temple how it got to be there and what was it's duty before link came along.

Perhaps the Dead Hand is the man who once resided where the well stands in Ocarina of Time? The problem with this theory of course is its infinite hands which no human possesses.

The number of time the Dead Hand appears in Ocarina of Time suggests nothing for the creature appears the same on both the child and adult time. You do raise a good point of why the Dead Hand lurks in the well though. Perhaps it was positioned as a guardian of the Lens of Truth and like Bongo Bongo that item helps defeat it. While separate appendages on both do little to confirm a relation perhaps they are of the same demonic race? Maybe they are escaped spirits from the Sacred Realm released/revived by Ganondorf in much the same way as Volvagia.

This is the first foe i have chosen to do a indepth analysis but i doubt i'll ever get anything right ^^, all i do know from the game is Bongo Bongo was an ancient evil sealed by Impa in the Well and it escapes and an adult, we see Dead Hand in both the Well and the Temple, and they both safeguard something which can be used against Dead Hand, why on they did that i dunno other than lack of ingenuity from the makes, and lets face it no one is ever gonna think my work is stella but l like to find out stuff i connect the dots if i can it's just wierd why put a second dead hand in the temple unless it either survived the well encounter or again lack of intrest on the dev's part....... long and short of it i know i don't have enough evidence but i like to theorise over the puzzling creatures and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well there is no evidence so is more of a fanfic than a proper theory. It sounds good though. I would have loved for BB's origins to be explained in SS but they were not. Perhaps if a title takes place during the civil war then we will see his origins.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Just because Bongo Bongo was Shadow Temple and not the Well doesn't mean there's no relation. I actually never thought of this but it's a good theory. It may lack evidence but the two are a bit too similar for it to be an accident. Maybe this was part of the early story and ended up getting cut, or it's just there to get us to have this conversation. Pretty interesting idea anyway :)

** PLUS, the fact the evil that inhabits the Shadow Temple burst out of the well, which was sealed by Link as a child, and flew into the Shadow Temple, it's kind of indicated that maybe Bongo Bongo was like the full scale of the Dead Hand.
Come to think of it, wasn't the root of the evil meant to be the spirit of the man who had the house on the site of the well? I don't remember properly, but that old man in blue tells the story as an adult.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Just because Bongo Bongo was Shadow Temple and not the Well doesn't mean there's no relation. I actually never thought of this but it's a good theory. It may lack evidence but the two are a bit too similar for it to be an accident. Maybe this was part of the early story and ended up getting cut, or it's just there to get us to have this conversation. Pretty interesting idea anyway :)

** PLUS, the fact the evil that inhabits the Shadow Temple burst out of the well, which was sealed by Link as a child, and flew into the Shadow Temple, it's kind of indicated that maybe Bongo Bongo was like the full scale of the Dead Hand.
Come to think of it, wasn't the root of the evil meant to be the spirit of the man who had the house on the site of the well? I don't remember properly, but that old man in blue tells the story as an adult.

When did Link seal the Well? Ever?

DarkLink17

Well then
Very nice theory, been thinkin about that but never thought of posting it. I also never heard or saw in the gameplay anything about Link sealing the well as a child.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Aye Link never seals the well if anything he unseals it, when as a child link drains the well via song of storms which he learns of Guru-Guru as an adult who heard child Link play it (anyone seeing a paradox?), doing so probably weakeaned the seal Impa put on BB in the well, would love it if it turned out the seal is traping BB in the form of DH or the DH is a child form of BB, as for BB being a tortured spirit, it'd have to be one hell of a melevelant ghost to form that, also the Bongo in the boss room of the ST states quite clearly the entire temple was made for BB so maybe it was a place of death giving over the dead to the care of the demonic BB who uses the souls to form it's body, WHO KNOWS, lol i personally would go with the temple was a house of the dead and a place of trial and worship to BB given that it's made to scale for the shadow beast to move about, and the amount of reincarnated dead found throughout, back a few steps i reckon Young Link weakens the Seal of the Well made by Impa when she sealed BB into it's depth's (if your look for evidence for Impa sealing BB look ingame same cutscene the Phantom Shadow Beast escapes) and it takes 7 years for it to weaken sufficiently for BB to shatter it's bondages and flee to the temple it house of worship and power, Link charges into the very depths of the temple searching for Impa and incounters several "torture" rooms and all sorts of other goodies as well, eventually link comes to the final trial of the dungeon the room just before the Boss Door, he successfully navigates it and falls to the bottom of the shadow well ( I dub it this because BB's power flow up and out of it poisoning Kakariko Village and also because the entire dungeon resembles somewhat Young link path through the Well Bottom in search of the Lens of Truth), Link enters the room of worship where those who worship BB are sacrificed to the beast itself and Link slays BB by attacking it's eye even though it's head is meant to be there, which leads me to think that BB was beheaded for an unknown crime which prior cost it, it's hands, so it came back as a malevolent demon beast to seek revenge and worship from the very ones who killed it in the first place, that is my thoughts this week on Dead hand and BB, look over it i seem to have gone into my idea of BB on the whole, lol i went off topic majorly by the looks of it ah well i like the idea and i wanted to pitch it to you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom