• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dark or Happy?

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I think it will be more light hearted than Twilight Princess, but I still think it will retain the darkness elements from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It won't be in extreme use like Twilight Princess, just used sometimes.

Beeker

Wild Card
I want to see a mix of both happy and dark.

Currently, the graphics make the game look more lighthearted because of the brighter colours. Just because the game has a bright tone doesn't mean it will be light(Wind Waker is an example).In fact, I'd like it how it was in OoT. The game has a mostly lighthearted story and feel, but has some areas in the story with lots of darkness to it.

For Skyward Sword, I would like some darkness to the game, but not as much as say, Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask. At the same time I don't want an extremely happy and cheerful game. A safe, balanced mix of the two would be perfect. And lots of emotion in all characters(including Link) would be great to see as well.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Both! Just fit the two in a good combination, not just throw them in somewhere. The story can be dark, but using graphics to an advantage, and some side-quests, we could make it happy also.

Neither Dark, nor Happy... I'm voting for EPIC! :yes: :)

Anyway, I want a happier Zelda game. I'm sort of tired of dark games. I think it doesn't need to be dark to have a good storyline (anyone watches One Piece?).

J

Jlemon21

Neither Dark, nor Happy... I'm voting for EPIC! :yes: :)

Same here. But judging by the graphics, I think it will have a happier WW sort of feel. The enemy and area designs also seem to be "lighter."

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I want a more lighter game than TP. I liked OoT and WW style, but I not too big on the whole "drab-like" feeling in TP.

@StrangeWig: I watch One Piece!

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Axle had a good point in his recent article that "dark" really depends on a person's definition. His example was the dread and anxiety in Majora's Mask, versus the themes of sadness and loss in Twilight Princess, and how people will have different opinions about which makes a game darker. When I think of "dark", it's things that unsettle me - like violence - and things that are really depressing. Both MM and TP have elements of the latter, but to me, they never felt like they went overboard.

Really, I want complexity more than happy/dark. Wind Waker is a great example, when it goes from being a story about a boy and his talking boat to a surprise Hyrule history lesson. It also shows how other things can balance a game. They don't necessarily need to be "light" things like humor - let me go back to Axle's article again for a direction quote about Majora's Mask.

[I don’t think it matters how terrible the fear is in Majora’s Mask, because the acts of bravery, resilience and love by Link and the people of Termina overshadows – or should I say illuminates – the game’s darkness.]

So yes, my preference would be a game that is a cross between Wind Waker and Majora's Mask in terms of complexity of story. Considering the subject matter of Skyward Sword, however, I cautiously have my hopes up. Something that key to the entire Zelda series seems like it will have a great mythos surrounding it. :)

M

metaknight

I think it might be happy and all whenyou start like TP, but then it might start to turn more dark as you progress.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I hope so. What we've seen so far in terms of promo artwork, trailers and gameplay looks very bright and poppy. But with the exception of Twilight Princess, the last six Zelda games were bright and poppy. And yet it is games like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess that win over critics and gamers alike, games with atmosphere.
A shift from happy to dark, like metaknight proposes, would be a compromise I could live with.

Last edited:
Most people want a mix of light and dark. That's what I want too, and if it is like OoT, it will be better than beaver!!!

X

XTC

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who likes (and wants more of) a more dark/scary/evil nature story and mature darkened/realistic graphics like in TP. I understand the want and need for lighthearted gameplay/story and how it would be open to a wider audience but I will always prefer to have a story that captivates my personal desires. .oO(I hope no one gives me bad rep.) ;)

@StrangeWig: I watch One Piece!

Allright! :)

If you watch One Piece, you know that a story doesn't need to be dark to have a completely awesome and complex plot that absolutely blows our collective minds to space, builds up a huge amount of excitement and emotion, get impressed at "how the hell can this thing actually get better with each episode", and makes us cry like some coward babies while singing the opening songs... IN JAPANESE!!! (echo) :cool:

And most of the games nowadays are dark and violent, I'm tired of it. :shake:

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Yay One Piece fan!! Anyway back on topic, I agree with StrangeWig, all these gritty dark games are kinda boring and tedious. Sure Call of Duty and Gears of War are great games, but it's just shooting some ugly brute's spleen out or another terrorist in the face. It's kinda... boring in a way. (online is great though!)
I'm looking forward to a lighter game than TP.

Ps. Don't hate on me just cause i'm saying bad stuff about those games!

I wish for a dark story. IMO, darker stories has sometimes a twist or a mystery added to them and that's what I like in a game. However, seeing SS's graphics may tell us it's going to be an happy story. Coming from Nintendo, it'll probably come out great anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom