• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Conducting Oneself Online in Terms of Rudeness.

Dan

Is it better to conduct oneself online as polite or to put it bluntly rude, more often than not in ungoverned parts of the web that don't really have any strict rules there are those people that will be quite aggressive towards a person, the aggressive person simply does not care that they are doing such, and most other participates don't either. Does it really matter if you are rude online?

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
Online or not, it does matter.

In online, people don't take things seriously through the web. It's like, the rude people see others as emotionless beings, since the rude people think that the Internet can protect them from telling rude things to the people who are affected by it.

People are not emotionless beings online. Whether it's real life, or at web, people are still people.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I believe in meeting people the way I like to be met, so I try to remain polite to the best of my ability. I think that if you add to the rudeness, regardless of the environment you enter, you become part of the problem rather than the solution.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It doesn't matter if it's the internet or if it's real life, people are people, and people have feelings. That doesn't magically change with the internet. I abhor the mentality of "it's just the internet". You should generally be nice to people no matter where you are or how you're communicating with them. I'm not saying you have to get along with every person you meet; it's only natural that you don't get along with some people. But as far as being rude goes, you don't do that. It's wrong.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
For the most part I am easy going, polite, sweet, and kind. But once someone starts to flare me up by being rude, or by annoying me in some way, perhaps even trolling me, I will react like a wounded beast--I will reply accordingly.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I'm an unusual combination of blunt and not. When it comes to people and ideas, though, I'm straightforward with how I talk and how I call people out.

For the most part I am easy going, polite, sweet, and kind. But once someone starts to flare me up by being rude, or by annoying me in some way, perhaps even trolling me, I will react like a wounded beast--I will reply accordingly.

Mkay then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheik

:the:
Before things get out of hand... EDIT: Things got out of hand.

Rudeness online can have extreme consequences, just like rudeness in real life. It can shatter friendships, harm sensitive emotions, etc. People shouldn't look at others on the Internet as plastic figures who won't take harm from what they say.

I know, because bad things I've heard others say about me on the Internet makes me feel just as wounded as in real life.

I do my best to be polite online. I try to respect other people and their opinions, and I refuse to call somebody out/talk **** about them in front of their face. Of course, things don't always work out like that, but at least try.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I have a very sweet and polite disposition IRL, as I never talk bad about people, never talk rudely to people, and always try to be as nice as I can, and I try to transfer that online. Whether it's real life or virtual life, treating others the way you want to be treated is essential to building a good community.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I'm an unusual combination of blunt and not. When it comes to people and ideas, though, I'm straightforward with how I talk and how I call people out.

And your point is?

I thought I made my point clear. If I reacted like that back then it was because I had reason to. I don't go crazy just 'cause, now do I? But anyway, what would you know about it, you weren't involved in that...but I guess being on the sidelines it is easy to just critique.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
And your point is?

I thought I made my point clear. If I reacted like that back then it was because I had reason to. I don't go crazy just 'cause, now do I? But anyway, what would you know about it, you weren't involved in that...but I guess being on the sidelines it is easy to just critique.

1. Insulting Fig for moderating his own blog and removing a joke comment on a serious blog entry.

2. Being overall patronizing in the SB and generally arrogant, especially about the League and getting outrageously mad when someone calls you on it.

3. Assuming a pair of people hook up solely to irritate you. Do you have any idea how egocentric you sound?

4. Saying you "never cared" about their "little love thing" then acting like they got back together for the sole reason of pissing you off. See above.

And in relation to the thread, this is a situation where I cease being diplomatic (i.e. when friends are flat-out insulted). So yeah, not exactly just on the sidelines.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
1. Insulting Fig for moderating his own blog and removing a joke comment on a serious blog entry.

2. Being overall patronizing in the SB and generally arrogant, especially about the League and getting outrageously mad when someone calls you on it.

3. Assuming a pair of people hook up solely to irritate you. Do you have any idea how egocentric you sound?

4. Saying you "never cared" about their "little love thing" then acting like they got back together for the sole reason of pissing you off. See above.

And in relation to the thread, this is a situation where I cease being diplomatic (i.e. when friends are flat-out insulted). So yeah, not exactly just on the sidelines.

I don't really feel like continuing with this game that's gone on here in ZD for a while...the drama. I've seen so much of it, and I admit, I was part of some of it. But you...You just like being in the mess too, I guess. That's why you are so fast in going to the past and dig stuff up to show and perhaps save face or make your "friends" believe that you have their back. What does that make you? A judge? A hero? Or a drama starter? I've learned to identify the latter, so please don't feel disappointed if I don't follow your game here.

However, though I don't feel like replying to your quote here for respect of the forum, I will reply to it in a pm.

Clank

Hmm
Anyhow, I doubt we can keep this on topic, but I suppose I can try...

I actually find that I need to be more polite on the internet, since due to the fact that emotions rarely can be effectively portrayed through text(since you are missing vocal tones and other body language), people tend to either take jokes seriously or take serious stuff like a joke. I find that this leads to a lot of people being labeled as trolls or jerks, since they are joking around, however being that a lot of people miss that(since it is really easy to miss, especially if one is tired or something), it ends up hurting other people. Being that they are actually hurting people they certainly deserve the label, but I doubt they actually intend to do so, rather it is a simple oversight which they need to correct.

When physically talking to people, there is usually sufficient information from body language that it is realistically possible to discern whether or not they are serious. Also, when people know someone fairly well, they can also tell whether or not they are serious, since they learn that from experience with that person. I find that this tends to lead to them standing up for the offender since to them it was obvious that they were joking.

/opinion

But yeah, I try to be as polite as possible, both in real life and especially on the internet.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Agreed Clank, let's try to steer this thread back on topic.

Anyways I conduct myself online similarly to how I act IRL. There is always going to be that disconnect from verbal cues and body language owing to this being all-text, but as far as how I speak here this is pretty much how I think. Still better than speaking to others IRL, since I have the time to conduct my thoughts together instead of spewing them out in a run-on stream like I tend to IRL. I do my best to be as respectful as possible, but sometimes I need to speak my mind and that comes across to some people as being rather rude. I live by a code of honesty, and if someone's doing something I don't care for I let them know.

Like right now. Term, Gobi, keep your fight in the private messages and out of the public threads.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I always try to act polite, repectful, and well informed. There are a few reasons for this. The first is that because I am 12, no one will take me serious if I don't. The second is that I always act like that in real life. I got bullied a lot in elementary school, and so through trial and error, I learned the best way to deal with bullies is to say things and question their reasoning in a very polite and repectful way, whilst talking fast. They usually give up, and if they don't, it's still really fun to see them super confused.

Of course, just because I act polite does not mean other people do, too. I can understand people's reasoning behind being rude; its the internet, and because of that it is my chance to be the tough guy. However, from experienced I've learned that my tactic works best, for almost the same reason it worked on the playground; you take away their ability to question you. If by chance you come across someone who does have a very well thought out, logical opinion, then I have no need to confuse them; I can simply have an informed, helpful arguement both of us are bound to learn from.

I don't see why you can't have some manners on the internet too, but def don't let yourself get run over by jerks. actually the internet has taught me a few more then I used to have, I don't lash out as much verbally as I used to do. especially if I like a community and don't wanna be banned, partly because instead of my usual *%^$ you you suck &%$^%%$$## i can now formulate a cooler, snarky reply and try to make them look like the idiots they are and I'm starting to enjoy that, though i'll never be completely rid of my short fuse and partly because i can put them on ignore if they're really ticking me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom