• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Combo System

I had this idea recently, and I think it would be really good if it were implemented in SS.

Since OoT, Zelda games have Link do sort of a sequence of attacks if the player presses the button (or moved the Wiimote, in TP's case) quickly as a primitive combo. Considering this time around we have at our disposal a really precise 1:1 motion control for the swords, it would be interesting to create a combo system. Before I begin, I think the old combo system should still be applied combined with the new one, I'll explain how soon.

OK now. Simply, instead of pressing the buttons quickly, the player would have to do a determined sequence of wiimote movements. Like:
1º hit: vertical up to down slash
2º: horizontal left to right slash
3º: stab
4º: horizontal left to right slash
This way, the forth move would be a special slash, with Link doing a flip and attack, or something like that, that would deal extra damage. If the player makes a mistake (for example, if on the second attack, he goes right to left, instead of the opposite), the old combos get in action and the forth attack would be just a simple finisher in the old ways, dealing no special damage.

This system, or something similar, would be very useful to prevent random waggling. Adding the enemies that can only be beaten with specific slashes or special itens would make for a pretty complex and rich combat system. Plus, the combos would only be acquired via scrolls, masters and similars. A reward from a sidequest could be a very strong combo composed of 6 strikes! (as overkill, it would make Link look even more cool :cool:)

An important sidenote is that I also wouldn't want this to turn into Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. :huh: The combos shouldn't be overused, as there shouldn't be many (no more than 10), and the majority should be about only 4 hits (only latter ones would be bigger). Zelda is not only about action, and precision should still be more important than just trying to land combos randomly.

Perhaps recording the sequences could be difficult for some, but I'm not really worried about this. We can remember things much worse that a combination of 4 moves, and as new combos are learned, older ones (like the very first one) can be forgotten (any problems, all information is just a few button presses away ;)).

What I'm really worried is the difference between attacking normaly and doing a combo. If the difference between them is not significant, there's no point in making efforts to do whole sequences. >.< On the other hand, if normal attacks are too weak, perhaps this would make the game too hard for newcomers, specially kids. Well, personally, I'd want this game to be as hard as possible (I'm already overjoyed when I see an attack by a deku baba deal a whole heart of damage!!), but it's also necessary to remember that Zelda is a game for everyone. :)

So, what do you guys think about it? Agree, disagree, just post your opinion! :yes:

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I've also been thinking of combos, and I think they'd be a great inclusion to SS. I'm glad you've been thinking about it too and that I'm not just a crazy Zelda Fan that wants combos.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Great idea! They sorta did this in The Wind Waker -- it was more varied and looked better than the combos in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. In Wind Waker, Link actually jumped up, did some Spin Attacks, and twisted around while slashing during the combos, depending on the Control Stick's position. This became especially helpful when facing Orca to train with, as you can mix the combos with each other. This would be a great idea in Skyward Sword since it looks like it's already taking a big step towards more developed swordplay.

But I'm worried about one thing. If those combos were to be implemented and you face an enemy that blocks your attacks using its weapons, I'm afraid that the awesome combo won't follow through. For example, if you're facing a Stalfos Knight and see an open spot to its left, you'd strike at its left, right? Then you continue to do the combo -- maybe a swish here, or a vertical spin there -- but sometime during that, what if the Stalfos ends up blocking one of your hits? It'll mess up Link's epicness! >_<

But it still sounds like a wonderful idea! If Nintendo were to implement this, I'm sure that they'll reprogram the enemies a bit so that they might be stunned throughout the entire combo or something. :D I don't want it to be like the ReDead Knights in Twilight Princess, where you're hacking away at its chest and all of a sudden it goes RARGAHRGAHHHHHHHHH!!! and messes you up! D:

L

link999

it would be very cool. what i think is that you will be able to make your own, just for fun. but special combos would be epic!

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I don't know if that would put too much of a focus on the fighting parts of the game. This is not the God of War series.

I guess I would have to see something like that in action.

@Eternal Nocturn
Well, for the combo thing (did I forget to add this?), if the player is able to land the first hit on the enemy, then it would be stunned so that the rest of the combo can be performed. I like this system a lot, but like Michael said, it must be implemented carefully, otherwise it would turn into God of War.

PS:
Damn you ReDeads!! :mad::lol:

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Wow, this is a great idea. Perhaps we could have more combos learnt throughout the game, and I think it will be great to do the combo set that Link does with your own hands (Imagine actually doing an end blow!!)

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I don't think this'll happen. I've seen some gameplay, and the guy starts swinging and Link starts attacking (in the direction where the remote is) like 10 times.
In the near end of the gameplay trailer, it looks like Link is doing combo attacks though.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I know that you can do a double slash from left to right or vice versa for sure, which would make you think you could do the same up and down or down and up. come to think of it you should be able to double slash diagonally as well. that's about all i can say as far as combos go. in time we will know more, like if you can add a spin attack at the end of a double slash... or one of those flip attacks at the end of downward then upward slash combo =)

Ganondork

goo
I love the idea, and I hadn't thought about combos at all. If they were in there, it would make the game much more fun, however, some people may be obsesse with only doing combos, mess up and accidentally get killed. I know in TP I wanted to end every monster's life with a spin attack, I lost about 2 more hearts than I did when I fought them normally.

The combo systems was one of the few things that TWW did better than TP in my opinion. TP seemed a little slow, or maybe that was just because of the shake controls. Hopefully with the graphics of SS plus the 1:1 swordplay the combo system will be better than TP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom