• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help Classic Zelda Games: Which Would You Recommend?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Play The Minish Cap and anything before The Wind Waker to get a feel for what Zelda really is. :yes:

TMC is a recent title, but it still carries over the classic Zelda vibe.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I say ALttP, above all others. It is a great game. If you can get around the difficulty and the early 90's graphics, then you've got a real masterpiece!
Aside from that one, I'd recommend LA, TMC, and the DS games. They are all really good handheld titles, and are all well worth your money.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Dunno why Wind Waker is deemed the point where Zelda's go modern. OoT and MM are far closer to Wind Waker than they are to the original four.

I tried to play the Zelda games in order of release and then in order of timeline and neither gave any greater understanding of the series...

To me the Classic era ends with Majora's Mask since the Oracles begin a decline in quality in the franchise as a whole save for two games up until presently.

So, you should play Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask in that order too, each game will give you evolution over the other and you can see what Zelda is supposed to be about. Revolution.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
You specifically asked which ones we like most, but honestly I'm not sure if I prefer ALttP or LoZ more.

Going off of a different factor, however, I would recommend ALttP. The reason for this is, as an OoT and post Zelda player, you're currently used to modern day Zelda elements. There were two major defining games to the series and those were OoT and ALttP. By playing ALttP first, it'll be an easier shift from what you're used to. Simply jumping into either LoZ or AoL might be a much more difficult transition. Those games still differ immensly from ALttP, but it'll be a smoother transition should you play that one first.
As for LA, I've never played so I can't say.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I like to think of going back into the past like a ladder. Right now, you're at the top, so a jump to the bottom could be relatively painful. Incremental steps to the bottom will help your brain understand the games better as core concepts become less defined.

Given unlimited time and access, I'd recommend something like
30OJa.jpg

At the very least, I recommend Ocarina of Time, Minish Cap, and Link to the Past

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
MM and OoT are not classics, i look at it this way, you got Mega Man, and Mega Man X, aka, Mega Man Classic, and Mega Man X

the 3D transition was the end of the Classic era or style, however even 2D games after that i consider Classic style. i dont mean them as "they are Classics" i just mean they use the classic style of Zelda style!

so my suggestions are ALttP naturally, Links Awakening (DX if you can), However if you want the Classic 2D game play, but modern enough that you can stick with it, i would say START with Minish Cap, and work you way backwards through the 2D titles, but on the real heres the order i would go, if i were new to the series when 3D games were already out

1) Minish Cap
2)ALttP
3)LA (DX) as DX is the color version of LA
4 & 5) OoX
6)LoZ

then reward yourself for all you hard work and 2D zelda skills you have learned, and give Zelda II AoL a try, and see how tough you think you are! LOL

Salem

SICK
Exactly what I said, when comparing OoT to the original four titles and Wind Waker and beyond, it's much closer to the latter.
Oh, but I don't remember hearing/reading that the n64 titles considered part of classics, maybe because I'm still new to the forums, Although personally I don't see an obvious cutoff date from when classic becomes modern, its more of a transition.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I tried to play the Zelda games in order of release and then in order of timeline and neither gave any greater understanding of the series...

To me the Classic era ends with Majora's Mask since the Oracles begin a decline in quality in the franchise as a whole save for two games up until presently.

So, you should play Link's Awakening, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask in that order too, each game will give you evolution over the other and you can see what Zelda is supposed to be about. Revolution.

Pardon?!
I fail to see how the oracle games were a decline in quality, they were absolutely amazing games, and of quite a high quality.

What do you feel was of lower quality in them? They were good spiritual successors to Link's Awakening, and had so much more to offer in terms of collectibles and replay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom