• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

City in the Sky Hate?

TheSerpent

The Happy Mask Salesman
I've heard a lot of dislike about this temple, like that it is "boring", or "too hard".

Personally, I really like the idea of a city high up in the sky, and the double clawshots. I like the archeteture (spelling), too. It reminds me of an abstract painting.

But I didn't find it too hard at all. Sure, there were many ways, but you'll eventually be turned around if you go the wrong way. It's just trial/error. As for the many places to fall, as long as you go slowely and have sure footing, it's not that hard, either. Just think of how annoying it couldv'e been. (every time you fall, you land somewhere in hyrule)

As for it being "boring", I personally don't find clawshotting like spiderman on falling platforms, miles above the ground, in strong wind, all while being attacked by pterodactyls, boring.

P

PrinceRalis

I agree. Sure it wasn't my favorite temple, but I didn't dislike it or anything. My sisters friend has been stuck in that temple for about 2 or 3 months now, and still can't get out, though. But when I got to that temple, I beat in like, 2 hours or something. I just got really frustrated at the end, where you had to turn on the big fan. I kept falling off of the floor below the floor where you got the big key, so I had to continuously make my way back, until I finally turned on the fan. But, one thing I didn't like about that place, was Argarok. He was too easy, and the battle was too slow paced.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I can definitely understand why people dislike the temple, and it was one of the more annoying temples in the game, but I don't hate it.

I did have some major issues with the level design though. As much as I love the double clawshot and how it can be used to move around, there were too many places in the temple that required the double clawshot that you could reach before getting it, and it wasn't always obvious that a single clawshot wouldn't allow you to progress. The problem with that is it's really easy to accidentally clawshot something hanging over an abyss without realizing there's no floor beneath (or thinking it's a switch when it's not) and then be stuck. I can't even count how many times I died in that place because of that issue.

I know there's also people who dislike the music. Personally, the Oocca squawks were what made the music interesting to me. I like hearing ambiance and non-musical sounds every once in a while.

The boss, that too was really disappointing, but I don't judge a temple by its boss, so that's a moot point for me. Overall, I still liked this temple, but not nearly as much as some other temples in the game.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Yeah, see i beat it in a day. i borrowed a strategy guide from my friend, but he's a mess and most of the City in the Sky pages were torn out anyway so i had to do it on my own. but i could beat it in a couple hours. its really not too hard. But its really easy for me cuz i've played over TP (My fav game evaaar) like a billion times.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I can understand why people disliked it. The music could get annoying at times, but for the most part I thought it was interesting. I agree that Argorok could have been a much better battle, but it wasn't anything majorly disappointing. I guess the artist in me loved the unique, almost eerie and open layout; the outdoor/grassy area and the gravity-defying Oocca were pretty neat. I thought the difficulty was a good median and the double clawshots made it extra fun.

Personally, I really like the idea of a city high up in the sky, and the double clawshots. I like the archeteture (spelling), too. It reminds me of an abstract painting.

Funny you should say... The connection has been made numerous times between the Oocca's design/City in the Sky and the 1947 painting "Another World" by M.C. Escher <-- awesome artist. Many people, including me, think that those game designs were directly inspired by his work. I don't know if you know this already cause it's been floating around the internets quite a bit :P

anotherworld.jpg

Last edited:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I do hate it...but it's because I have a fear of heights that apparently transfers even to playing video games where the protagonist is hanging by a chain miles above the earth. :bleh: You'd think the fact that the game isn't real would exempt me from that, but I was on edge playing the dungeon the first time around. The second time I was less bothered by it, so maybe it's a kind of therapy for me, ha.

Apart from that I enjoyed it, particularly the parts where I had to grab an oocca to glide over vents. I, too, had much issues in that final room with the fans, though.

Austin

Austin
I don't really have to strong of a feeling about it. I mean, it was slightly annoying but nothing that would cause me to stop playing the game. However, I do have a friend who quit the game altogether when he got up to this point. My biggest issue with it wasn't so much the temple itself, but those who lived in it; the Oococo...cooco, whatever they were called. Who came up with that idea?

TheSerpent

The Happy Mask Salesman
Funny you should say... The connection has been made numerous times between the Oocca's design/City in the Sky and the 1947 painting "Another World" by M.C. Escher <-- awesome artist. Many people, including me, think that those game designs were directly inspired by his work. I don't know if you know this already cause it's been floating around the internets quite a bit :P

*snip*

Yes, I knew about this connection already. :)

I do agree that the boss could've been better, though. It was way too easy for a last normal boss. (as in, not a final boss or something)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I will admit that the only thing I liked about this temple was the boss battle. I'll even admit that I felt gipped when I recieved the double claw shot (don't worry, I realized the errors of my ways for the DCS.) The fact is, you had to go through a whole series of boring events just to get to the city which turn out to be a total letdown. I don't believe this place deserve the title "city." I felt more like I was in a maze or temple than a city, even if it was one for birds. In a city, you want to be more proactive with the characters like Link was in Yeto's Mansion. He kept having to talk to Yeto and Yeta while there's hardly any talking in this place.
Plus the music sucked.

I was upset about this temple mainly because the Zelda story I had been writing made an attempt to send Link to the heavens, and with TP coming out with what I see as a bland version of my idea, it makes mine look like some copy.

Normally when you think of a temple, something crazy awesome dwells within it, so props to incorporating a dragon, but you've Gorons, Zoras, Yetis, and....weird looking birds? Seriously? Since TP was all about introducing new regions and creating races like the Ordonian, I had been fueled by this to create more races, including the Phoena, which are in my story the inhabitants of the city in the sky. I thought these people should be similar to the Rito Tribe from Wind Waker, being half bird, half human, but I wanted the Phoena to be more angelic, powerful, and pretty much more kick ***.

So yeah, I was disappointed to see this temple in spite of how much fun I had playing everything.

octorok74

TETTAC
I liked everything about the city in the sky. I liked the way it looked, I liked the puzzles, and I liked making Helmasaurs go on the blue blocks so they fell miles to their doom. Also, the boss fight with Argorok was amazing, I really enjoyed this boss fight.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
I'm a fan of City in the Sky. It feels like a great challenge before the final gauntlets, and it had a good pace from start to finish, unlike in my opinion, Temple of Time, as running to the top of a tower just to run back down didn't really feel all that fun at all.

Originally though, I was kind of upset. With all the talk leading up to it, and the fact there's a shop at the start, i'd believed that City in the Sky was a small city up in the air with the back end, which could of been as much as the old, deserted part of the city were the dungeon. I was crushed to learn the whole thing was just a dungeon, but in the end I came to like it.

This wasn't made because of my comment in the mailbag about this dungeon was it? :P

I don't find the dungeon hard or boring so much as annoying. The way it's designed is strange, and it makes thing difficult to understand, navigate, and otherwise put up with... at least for me. Most of my time in the dungeon I spent confused and annoyed. The music did not help.

The Double Clawshot was a wicked item, and the idea of a city in the clouds is cool. But these two concepts alone were not enough to save the dungeon for me. I also thought the boss fight sucked, although it wasn't as bad as Armogohma. -.-

anotherworld.jpg
That is very interesting. I didn't know about that painting, although I'm familiar with M.C. Escher.

I liked the Forest Temple in OoT a lot, and in some ways I think that resembled Escher's work as well. Such as House of Stairs. But something about the City in the Sky just bugged and annoyed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom