• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ChuChu's Name Pronunciation

Chiraku

Demon slayer
WW_Chuchus.png

These jelly enemies were introduced in the windwaker, and have become rather popular, but one thing about them continually puzzles me. I know some Japanese words, and I am familiar with how they pronounce things, but, I don't know the true intentions of calling slime blobs ChuChus. I have heard Axle the beast call them "Choo-Choos", but I believe it is "shoo-shoo", because that's the Japanese word for the sound of squeaking, referring to the fact that they make squeaking noises, or that they're slime.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Ahh, I see your thinking, and it does make sense. I mean, other things in the series have been named after Japanese onomatopoeic words (like Gorons, after the sounds a rolling boulder makes), so why not ChuChus as well? But have have to say though- if it was intended to be pronounced "Shoo Shoo", why not translate it as that? I mean, they do originate from WW, and by then Nintendo's translators were pretty much perfect... so I'm gonna stick with the "Choo Choo" pronunciation, since that's the way it's been translated for the Western audience- so I'd say is the way they intended us to pronounce it. I could be wrong though, but that's just what I think. :3

You make a great point though, it's cool you spotted this!

I know how to read in Japanese in two of their alphabets, Hiragana and Katakana. I have done some research and I have found out that chuchu is written チュチュ in japanese.
We read チ as "chi" and ユ as "yu", but the "yu" is smaller than the "chi", so it means we should contract the word, so instead of "chiyu", we read it "chu". I Japanese, there is only one possible way to read each symbol, so it means that the only possible way to read it is as "choo". If it was pronunced "shoo", it would be written シュ instead of チュ.

Making it short: the correct way to read it is "choo choo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom