• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Choose Your Own Fate?

Darknut

time to panic
I don't know about you, but I love games that what you do affects how the game will play out. I'm sorry if there is a word for this type of game and I don't know about it. Do you think maybe a Zelda game will be created where it lets you choose at some points what to say or do and it will actually affect future events?

Take the video game called Epic Mickey for example. Many of you have probably heard of it. In this game you can erase and create things, make friends or enemies, and even choose how you are going to defeat a boss. All this will determine what happens later, and ultimately at the end of the game. I have never played it, but I hear the game Fable does this too.

I like these games because I feel like I have more control over my player and I find myself always anticipating what will happen next. I also find it more fun to go back and replay the game because I can go on different adventures and see what would have happened if I had chosen this or that. I know people also dislike this kind of game, but what about you? Do you think this could happen with a Zelda game in the future? And would you like or dislike it?

Last edited:
M

MasterSword

Hmmmm..good question. I really like those kind of games but I'm not too sure if it would fit Zelda. I would definitely play the game, and I do think that it would be worth a shot at making a Zelda game like that, I'm just not sure about what other people would think of it...

Ganondork

goo
The idea IS very good, but... It gives Link and opportunity to make enemies with the townsfolk. Is that truly how Nintendo intends Link to be? If he ended up being like that, well, he's as bad as Ganondorf, or Vaati, or Zant.

Austin

Austin
The idea IS very good, but... It gives Link and opportunity to make enemies with the townsfolk. Is that truly how Nintendo intends Link to be? If he ended up being like that, well, he's as bad as Ganondorf, or Vaati, or Zant.
I think the point of the idea is that Link will be how the player intends him to be, not Nintendo. Anyway, it's a fairly cool idea, I've always enjoyed games that employ this type of mechanic. I can see a few issues though. First being that having multiple endings would MAJORLY mess up the timeline, and judging from all the debate I see it's already in shambles. Additionally, it sounds difficult to make an absolutely evil Link work out story-wise. However, I don't see an issue if the player can decide between the traditional hero and more of an anti-hero archetype. Not necessarily a bad guy, just more edgy than his counterpart.

However, despite my personal feelings on the subject, I very much doubt that we'll see anything resembling this from Zelda in the near future. It just doesn't sound like the type of idea they'd delve into further.

Darknut

time to panic
I think the point of the idea is that Link will be how the player intends him to be, not Nintendo. Anyway, it's a fairly cool idea, I've always enjoyed games that employ this type of mechanic. I can see a few issues though. First being that having multiple endings would MAJORLY mess up the timeline, and judging from all the debate I see it's already in shambles. Additionally, it sounds difficult to make an absolutely evil Link work out story-wise. However, I don't see an issue if the player can decide between the traditional hero and more of an anti-hero archetype. Not necessarily a bad guy, just more edgy than his counterpart.

However, despite my personal feelings on the subject, I very much doubt that we'll see anything resembling this from Zelda in the near future. It just doesn't sound like the type of idea they'd delve into further.

I agree. I thought about the timeline after I posted this, but the timeline really is already messed up. Also yes, I was thinking of instead of a completely evil Link there could be limits like a Link that simply has done some bad things, made some mistakes, or is just angry in a way. I don't particularly see Nintendo doing this either, but for me its a cool idea.

I would be open to the idea at the end of the game as long as it doesn't create a canonical nightmare. If they do it, it needs to be like Dark Forces II and the Force Unleashed series where it is clear which ending is canonical. As for everywhere else in the game I wouldn't like it because it would create a lot of confusion over the story and what is canonical or not. Zelda has always been stuck in the limbo of RPGs and action-adventure games and they never seem to skirt close to either of those sides. If they give the player choices other than yes and no, it would go more into RPG territory and I doubt Nintendo would do that.

I think it would be a good idea for a spin-off and not in the main series because there would be a Zelda RPG and it wouldn't conflict with the main story and then we'd all be happy. Nintendo seems more likely to implement the style in a spin off because they don't really like to mess around with their established games that much. I think it'd be an interesting experiment, but not something that would be a good addition to a main Zelda title.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Great idea, it adds a bunch of replay value. So we could play it like 3 times and see different outcomes. I would like to see this happen.

As for people who believe in timelines, it doesn't really affect it. They could just say the good outcome is canon. Just like in Splinter Cell Double Agent. You either shoot Lambert or you don't at the end, and the real ending is shooting him.

I really like this mechanic. It works very well for some games (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories comes to mind) but I don't think it's going to work for Zelda for reasons that's already been stated.

Wasn't this done in Spirit Tracks. In spirit tracks you had to 3 possible endings. And while they did not actually change much, they were still alternate endings

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
Wasn't this done in Spirit Tracks. In spirit tracks you had to 3 possible endings. And while they did not actually change much, they were still alternate endings

what are the endings tell me in my visitor messages

R

Reign

I love these kind of games. I would like to see Zelda do something like this so I could replay the game to see different outcomes, and change the story up a bit so that it is more fun to replay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom