• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cave Story

Hm. My anlysis thread didn't get as many posts as I hoped for. Too intellectual I guess.

Anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of Cave Story. I started out with the NA WiiWare version, which was the first game I played without ANY form of magazine or walkthrough. Resultingly, the story, music, and gameplay felt nostalgiac yet original. The graphics were smooth and nice to look at, the gameplay was solid in the Metroidvania mechanics, and then the music; it's the greatest soundtrack ever. Everyone hated it, saying they were poor remixes, but I thought they captured the atmosphere, and alongside the graphics, story, and gameplay, made the Cave Story WiiWare NA patch feel more like an engaging experience than a game. They recently updated the WiiWare patch to the EU version and fixed things that were glitchy and buggy. The only problem; they made the music crappier. First of all, the percussion that they added detracted from the atmosphere, emotion, and magic that the NA patch had. Next, the title theme was changed to a slow one that, while it still sounded pretty good (and fit well at the last NPC area) didn't sound as dark and lively as the NA patch. But now I'm rambling.
Do any of you guys have any experiences with a version of this game?

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Cave Story was originally available on the PC for download for free, and it became incredibly popular. They have released a version for the Wii and DSi due to its success on both of their "Shop Channels". The game plays like Metroid, a shooter with different guns, power ups, etc. You'll find plenty of stuff for it on Youtube.

Anyway, I never downloaded the Wii version, but I did get the DSi one because it's portable. Probably one of my favorite games available on the DS.
I actually just made a new file today. :b

Don't make me laugh.

What is this Cave Story, and how does it work?

Well Gestahl, Cave Story is as I said, "Metroidvania". It was the first "neo-retro game" before Megaman 9 and New Super Mario Bros. Like ButterBiscuit said, it was on the PC originally, but a little company named Nicalis came and brought it over to the Wii and DSi on their online shops.
The game is like a linear Metroid; it's got a plot-line, it moves from area to area, but you have to explore each area to uncover helpful power-ups, secret passage ways, and get through the game. Rarely ever are you told to go somewhere (only about twice in the beginning) so it feels more immersive and -- I'M SPOILING ALL OF THE FEATURES NOW.
Seriously though, download this game for the PC and then decide that you love the game (there's no other choice.) Don't worry, it's free.

Last edited:

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Oh, yeah. I've got plenty of experiences with this game. It is, in my opinion, the best indie game of all time, Also, Pixel, the creator of cave story, is something of a hero of mine, because he performed such an undertaking ALONE. He made all of the awesome music, programmed the entire game, and drew all of the graphics for the game. That's simply amazing that one man could do all the work that a small village is employed to do now.

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Cave Story is AMAZING. One man made a more engaging and enjoyable game than most companies are able to muster. That is the ultimate achievement, in my book. The game is unbelievably engaging, and the subtle unfolding of what is really happening in the game is brilliant. Not only that, but it is just plain fun. I love the music as well- just two days ago, I downloaded an epic set of remixes of the game. The main problem being, some of them are so remixed that I can't identify the original song. But they still rock. My favorite songs in the game are the music that plays when you first meet the true final boss, the song that plays throughout the game during touching and serious events (for lack of an actual name), and Jenka's theme. My next gaming objective, after beating FFIV and I Wanna Be The Fangame, is to beat the Good Ending of Cave Story on Hard. Which would be amazing should I succeed.

Also, Cthullu is AWESOME. That is all.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I commend your confidence that you might beat that game on Hard Mode Good Ending. It's pretty much a three- Heart Challenge, so don't get hit. Good luck. However, I do agree with you: the music is simply amazing.

SuperGanondorf

Ballos's Minion
Thank you. Currently stuck on Monster X. He is HARD, since 1 hit=death. All the Gaudi firing lazers at you during the battle don't help either. But it is very tricky, since he fires about 5 million lazers at a time.

Also I beat Boss Rush mode yesterday. Without the Life Pot. I am amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom