• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Can We All Agree That The Mini-Bosses Were Done Right?

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Hi people.:)

I'm personally a great, big fan of Twilight Princess, but a lot of criticism is directed at the game, in particular, at its easy and uninspired boss battles. But what I'd like to posit with you, is that Twilight Princess did mini-bosses absolutely right. Better than basically most other Zelda games. Here's why:

Creativity and Difficulty:

Twilight Princess included with it some pretty creative mini-bosses. First was Ook, the monkey, which hopped around on pillars throwing a boomerang at you which included a game mechanic not used before in boss battles, rolling into things. Second was the Goron on the magnetic island thing, that mini-boss actually had a bit of a learning curve to it, and I would say it was harder than the actual boss. The Deku Toad in the lakebed temple was pretty standard for a boss, but the Death Sword in the Arbiter's Grounds was actually fairly good, requiring you to use both human and wolf Link. Darkhammer in the Snowpeak ruins was also unique in that it gave you basically the smallest space to fight a large enemy, this added an urgency to the battle and was definitely satisfying to complete. Darknuts in general a fairly difficult foes to defeat, especially encountering them for the first time at the top of the Temple Of Time. Same can be said about the Aerolfos in the City in the Sky, challenging and unique.

Secondly, Backstory:

Mini-bosses in Twilight Princess actually had backstories and sub-plots to them. I don't think this has been done before in a Zelda game. We learn of Ook of the Forest Temple for the first time before we even enter the dungeon, being introduced by the monkey you save at the beginning of the game in wolf-form. This mini-boss wasn't even bad, only infected by some insect.

The mini-boss of the Goron Mines also had a story. He was the guardian of the Hero's Bow, and wasn't even evil. He was a challenge for Link to overcome in order to be deemed worthy of the weapon of old.

The Death Sword of the Arbiter's Grounds also had a backstory. He/it was a monstrous demon locked away for years within the sword as he terrorised the people of the Gerudo Desert/Hyrule. This isn't even stated, its merely alluded to due to what we know of the Arbiter's Grounds being a prison for the worst of criminals and due to the sacred papers hanging from the ropes on the sword which sealed the demon within it.

There was even a back-story to Lord Bulbin, who was revealed to be not directly against Link, but merely a third party that did the bidding of the strongest side. He wasn't inherently evil but lacked fortitude in his morals. This is a significant departure for the Zelda series with its typically archetypal characters, i.e. evil people are just evil, and the good are just purely good and there's no grey area inbetween.

Now, in writing this, there's no real point to my argument other than to shed some light on one of the more overlooked aspects of Twilight Princess due to the constant criticism it gets from not being a bad game, but being held up to the standards of amazingly great games. If you say Twilight Princess had easy, uninspired bosses, I say, well at least they pushed the boundaries with their mini-bosses. If you were to make a top 10 list of mini-bosses, I'd say that at least a few of these guys would make it on that list. Also, this may go without saying, maybe most everyone agrees with this and I'm just shouting already known facts into an empty room. But if I have swayed you, good. Because Twilight Princess is often attacked for its weak points and not congratulated on its merits.

jelojuice

Raging Homosapien
Yesh, Indeed.

I agree with you, I think the mini bosses in TP were done completely right. Given I haven't played TP in little over two years, my judgement may be a bit off, but from what I remember the mini-bosses were not bad. From my perspective, they utilized the proper items and were a fair amount of difficulty compared to the game in general. I almost think that the mini-bosses had more complexity and difficulty then the ACTAUL bosses in TP. Provided I am not the biggest fan of TP, I will give them credit for their mini-bosses, that was one concept they did not screw up in TP.

The creativity of the mini-bosses was really well done, and there's enough variety between them and the main boss to fully distinguish them. Some are even better/more challenging than they're main boss counterparts. As for the backstory part, I don't exactly think that that is what made these mini-bosses right. Their backstories aren't exactly stated, and a casual player wouldn't notice these. The difficulty was so-so, with some very easy mini-bosses such as Ook and the Deku Toad, to some downright frustrating like Darkhammer (although it's probably because I suck).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom