• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Can Some One Explain the Time Line to Me Rly Simple?

WarriorFromFire

Never an expert
Im not sure if this post belongs here, this is my first post so live and learn but i have heard so much about the time line. is there a picture of a graft i can see to help me learn about the time line?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Essentially the timeline plays out like this:

Skyward Sword - The Minish Cap - Ocarina of Time
[then three splits]

Split 1: The Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass - Spirit Tracks
Split 2: /Majora's Mask - Twilight Princess - Four Swords Adventure
Split 3: A Link to the Past - Oracle of Ages/Seasons - Link's Awakening - Legend of Zelda - Adventure of Link

29631a766f1537530abc0ec5e6d15515.jpg

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, if the split is giving you trouble, then here's how it goes: 1. The Defeated Timeline assumes Link died during the final battle in OoT (It's stupid just go with it) 2. The Child Timeline assumes Link traveled back in Time, as we see at the end of OoT, and somehow helped the sages prevent Ganondorf from ever getting the Triforce before he left on MM (Which makes no sense because Ganondorf, Link, and Zelda still have their split pieces of the Triforce in TP) 3.The Adult Timelines assumes Link defeated Ganondorf as an adult, and then he left when he went back in time. So he left Hyrule (which would have more sense if that had been MM), and then that created a new timeline where he was absent. That's the closest thing to sense you can get out of it.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Dont feel bad dude, ive been playing this game for 20 years, and i dont really understand the timeline. if you ask me it just made things cluttered!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nintendo doesn't care. There. That's as simple as it gets.

...But seriously, Ventus covered it.

The split is actually quite simple. In OOT, Link defeats Ganon and he gets sealed in the Sacred Realm, Zelda sends Link to the past, and then there's a celebration (after the battle with Ganon); all the games after this celebration are in the Adult Timeline; in this branch, Ganondorf is sealed in the Sacred Realm and then WW takes place.

Zelda sent Link to the past so he could live his childhood, he arrives before his first meeting with Zelda; all the events after this are on the Child Timeline. Link tells Zelda of Ganondorf's plans and he is going to be executed; Link goes in search for Navi and MM occurs. We see Ganondorf's failed execution in TP.

The third branch occurs in a scenario in which Link is defeated by Ganondorf in the final battle in OOT, so the Sages weren't able to seal him. There was a war to seal him, known as the Imprisonment War or Sealing War. The older games all take place in this branch.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
If you want advice, try to avoid thinking about OoT. With the constant traveling back and forward in time and the timeline splits, it looks less like a linear progression of cause-to-effect, and more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... stuff... yeah that sentence got away from me a bit...

OoT is the only confusing bit of the timeline though. The rest of it is just normal cause-to-effect!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
A guy in green with multiple incarnations across time goes on an adventure to save the world.

Seriously, that's all that matters. The continuity is crap.

I wouldn't say the "continuity is crap" maybe a few years ago this statement could bave been made but it seems that Nintendo now actually care about making connections between games. Hence why they created the origin story...Skyward Sword and why they released Hyrule Histroia. A book that reveals the official timeline and explains breif connections between games in the series. As a theorist I would like to believe that Nintendo are making more connections between games and even past games there are some suttle connections.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
coolguy you said it yourself. Nintendo only cares about making reasonable connections now, and this level of retcon simply can't succeed in a series this complicated.

Will someone please explain to me how the adult timeline can exist if Link goes back in time in OoT? Wouldn't Link going back in time simply create a new timeline that erases the old one (except in Link's memories) by altering the events that created the old one? Time travel doesn't create new timelines; that would be interdimensional travel. Huh, this is starting to make as much sense as the time travel in Dragonball Z.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
coolguy you said it yourself. Nintendo only cares about making reasonable connections now, and this level of retcon simply can't succeed in a series this complicated.

Will someone please explain to me how the adult timeline can exist if Link goes back in time in OoT? Wouldn't Link going back in time simply create a new timeline that erases the old one (except in Link's memories) by altering the events that created the old one? Time travel doesn't create new timelines; that would be interdimensional travel. Huh, this is starting to make as much sense as the time travel in Dragonball Z.

Time is very confusing matter in itself but the split that occurs I like to think of it in this way....

You have the pre split: Skyward Sword--> Minish Cap--> Four Swords now we have the game changer Ocarina of Time! Now to understand the split in time fully we have to look more in depth to the actual events in OoT. When Link pulls out the Master Sword he goes into the future but its not an "Alternate" future, key word altenrate. Now seven years pass in Hyrule without Link being there and Ganondorf ultimately takes over, fast forward to Links return.

After we defeat Ganondorf Zelda sends us back in time, now there is a different concept when travelling back in time. I like to think of this as the alternate past, Link goes back in time to the point where he first met Zelda....this is a different point in time to where he pulled out the Master Sword and now with the knowledge of what happens he "alters" the original events. Again key word "Alters", time travel is delicate concept and if one where to alter the events in the past then this would change the future. Now because we know the future events in OoT we know that the future is going to be different than it was when Ganondorf was sealed.

Time and space can't just be erased, when Link gets sent back in the past by Zelda that present time doesn't just vanish because Link went back in time, it continues as normal time does however just without Link. Then we all know the events that follow with TWW and there being No hero Etc. I hope this made you understand it better in a sense lol

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I know what nintendo is saying. I just think it in concept makes no sense. It's like erasing a chalkboard, drawing a new picture, and saying the old one is still there, and that it somehow keeps evolving on its own. I just can't accept this logic.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
The issue is that nothing's come off the metaphorical chalkboard. Nothing's been erased, that's been made painfully clear since the talk of timelines came up years ago. Everything people assumed had been retconned out, as it turned out, was all still there. Even the stuff that was downright contradictory thanks to their 'official' places on the timeline. Instead what's been happening is they're drawing the image, and constantly taping more paper to it, making it bigger and more confusing as they go.

The concern regarding the timelines, the fact that one time should have stopped... should it? I'm not so sure. Of every concept of time travel you'll find in videogames, comics, TV, the only constant that this series keeps up is that time doesn't stop. Everything continues, regardless of where Link is within it. Where other time-travel plots will erase whole timelines (in order to prevent paradoxes), this series embraces the idea of paradox, and doesn't mull over it too much (Song of storms, Triforce 'prank'). Another time-travel based plot involves time 'fixing' itself, which also doesn't happen here. Realistically time doesn't stop, no matter what. So why should time stop in a 'doomed' outcome, simply because a protagonist disappeared? If a paradox isn't going to bring a timeline down, I doubt a missing hero will.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Just because Link returned and prevented the events of the Adult timeline doesn't mean the timeline is erased, the timeline goes on, just without Link, if the timeline was erased then Link would have never been sent back in time at the end of the game, thus no child timeline, thus the adult timeline still exists, thus there is a child timeline which erases the adult timeline, thus Link was never sent back at the end of the game...

Paradox!

Fortunately the adult timeline continues parallel to the child timeline

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom