• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Boss vs breakable weapons question

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I dunno ... I like the aspect of breakable gear. It adds a layer of strategy to your game. I can totally see and understand why people are concerned about it, but games have done this in the past with a lot of success. Monster Hunter comes to mind. Weapons lose sharpness as they get used. They eventually become either less effective or useless. The first time I played MH, I thought it was incredibly brilliant. I still do. You can't go in button-mashing and expect to win. You have to plan your attacks, bring items to ensure that your equipment is at optimal condition, and pick your spots to attack.

I didn't know that they took breakable items away from Fallout 4—as if I needed another reason to stay away from Bethesda even more—but that's good to know. Just another step to watering down their games for the masses.

I dunno ... I like the aspect of breakable gear. It adds a layer of strategy to your game.
I am good with breakable items. I just don't want to be stuck in a boss fight or something that is potentially impossible to beat or get past cause you ran out of weapons cause they all broke.

I know in Zelda 2 you can get to the Palace 3 boss without learning downthrust. Makes the boss then impossible to beat. Well done Nintendo, not :( Same deal if you get to the Firebird boss in the Great Palace without the Thunder Spell and the Palace 4 boss without the reflect spell. Bosses unbeatable this way cause you didn't get the required stuff and have to die to escape them is just not fun. The game should make you need the required stuff to get to the boss as well as beat it. So you're never stuck in a boss battle you can't beat. Same deal if you can run out of the required stuff and have to die to get out.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I am good with breakable items. I just don't want to be stuck in a boss fight or something that is potentially impossible to beat or get past cause you ran out of weapons cause they all broke.

I know in Zelda 2 you can get to the Palace 3 boss without learning downthrust. Makes the boss then impossible to beat. Well done Nintendo, not :( Same deal if you get to the Firebird boss in the Great Palace without the Thunder Spell and the Palace 4 boss without the reflect spell. Bosses unbeatable this way cause you didn't get the required stuff and have to die to escape them is just not fun. The game should make you need the required stuff to get to the boss as well as beat it. So you're never stuck in a boss battle you can't beat. Same deal if you can run out of the required stuff and have to die to get out.

I see what you're saying.

I wouldn't mind being able to run away from a boss either, though. I think a strategic retreat option might be kinda cool.

Perhaps that sort of gameplay mechanic would be best left to a different series, so they can experiment with the concept. Then, if it works, they can bring it to Zelda and stuff.

Aku

Say you're fighting a boss in BotW in a room. You have to beat the boss to get out of the room. You whike fighting the boss, broke your last weapon. How do you kill the boss?
Hmm.... I think most people are overlooking the part 'You have to beat the boss to get out of the room.' No beat boss, No pass go.

To answer the question, this is what would happen, honestly :

:Me Fighting Calamity Ganon: Oh dear, my last weapon broke! And I can't get out of this room unless I kill this thing! :goodness:

:Calamity Ganon Sees Me With Busted Sword: :crisis:

:Me With Sad Face: I'm so dead, aren't I? :kawaii:

:Calamity Ganon: :notzd:

HeroOfTermina

Obsessively checking this forum since 2015
Hmm.... I think most people are overlooking the part 'You have to beat the boss to get out of the room.' No beat boss, No pass go.

To answer the question, this is what would happen, honestly :

:Me Fighting Calamity Ganon: Oh dear, my last weapon broke! And I can't get out of this room unless I kill this thing! :goodness:

:Calamity Ganon Sees Me With Busted Sword: :crisis:

:Me With Sad Face: I'm so dead, aren't I? :kawaii:

:Calamity Ganon: :notzd:

If the master sword is indeed unbreakable, this shouldn't be a problem (unless you're a speed runner).

Aku

If the master sword is indeed unbreakable, this shouldn't be a problem (unless you're a speed runner).
What if this time around you don't need the Master Sword? It might be there to kill C~ Ganon faster/easier, but remember, they are trying to break some ossified Zelda conventions here. This could be one of the things they are trying to break.

Aonuma has said that one could go straight to the end boss without having to do anything else (besides the stuff needed to get off the Plateau) if you were really really good. This might even include getting the Master Sword. So, unless getting the MS is one of the few things in this game you are specifically made to do, theoretically you could fight C~ Ganon with a breakable sword.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What if this time around you don't need the Master Sword? It might be there to kill C~ Ganon faster/easier, but remember, they are trying to break some ossified Zelda conventions here. This could be one of the things they are trying to break.

Aonuma has said that one could go straight to the end boss without having to do anything else (besides the stuff needed to get off the Plateau) if you were really really good. This might even include getting the Master Sword. So, unless getting the MS is one of the few things in this game you are specifically made to do, theoretically you could fight C~ Ganon with a breakable sword.
That's just wrong. If they do that I'm going to be pissed off at them. Ganon should not be able to be killed with normal weapons.

HeroOfTermina

Obsessively checking this forum since 2015
That's just wrong. If they do that I'm going to be pissed off at them. Ganon should not be able to be killed with normal weapons.
Exactly! If he can be killed by any old weapon, what's the point of having him as a final boss? Let alone such an iconic one.

Reactions: Dio

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Urgh, I hate constant limitations in fighting. It just encourages me to avoid all the enemies and never fight...which is what I did in Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Aren't the cold-proof clothes unbreakable? Maybe there will be low-strength unbreakable weapons too.

Urgh, I hate constant limitations in fighting. It just encourages me to avoid all the enemies and never fight...which is what I did in Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
I did the same thing in Skyward Sword. I only used the shield in the final Demise battle, the Hyruelan shield. Only cause it is unbreakable. For the rest of the entire game I went shieldless and dodged or rolled out of 99% of the attack, the last 1% I tanked as they were unaviodable. A couple hearts of damage was no biggie.
Aren't the cold-proof clothes unbreakable? Maybe there will be low-strength unbreakable weapons too.
I hope so. They could be a shrine reward. Quite possibly one of the earlier shrines could have a piss weak but unbreakable weapon as a reward.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Clothes in general have no durability. You can use as clothes as much as you want, because they are permanent.

I assume every boss has an alternative means of hurting it in the same room. I mean, think back to Ocarina of Time. Remember how King Dodongo had bomb flowers in the same room in case you ran out of bombs?

I think the same sort of solution will be true here. Maybe there's an infinitely respawning item (like vases, rocks or bombs) you can throw at the boss if your weapons don't work any more. Perhaps it summons monsters who drop usable weapons, like Bokoblins.

Either way, I suspect Nintendo have already thought of this issue and came up with a simple way to fix it.

Aku

Exactly! If he can be killed by any old weapon, what's the point of having him as a final boss? Let alone such an iconic one.

I wouldn't say he could be killed by any old weapons, but just that you could have highly specific ones like Silver or Light Arrows in the earliest Zeldas, that were there before the Master Sword. Very rare items that are hidden away for the hero to find, often one of the few items able to actually hurt Ganon. They are not as effective, you only get a limited amount, and they can't actually seal him away, but they get the job done in a pinch if the Sword is not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom