• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Landmark

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I wanted to make this a poll but there may be some I don't know. What I'm trying to find out is what people think is the best landmark. By landmark I mean that menacing thing that reminds you that you have to save the world even if you're far away from it. In OoT they had on fire Death Mountain, in MM there was the moon, in TP there was the Twilighted Hyrule Castle, in Spirit Tracks there was the broken tower, and so on and so forth.

Austin

Austin
The moon, hands down. It's impossible to miss and stayed with you the whole game, unlike Death Mountain, which resolved itself about halfway through OoT. Plus, the thing's awesome, it has a face and cries precious gems.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Eeeeh..... there are a few. Like the Wind Fish's Egg in Link's Awakening. An egg... heh. When something hatches, it's life in the egg ends, and its life in the "new world" begins. I think it was fitting for the plot of LA.

I did like the ring of fire around Death Mountain in Ocarina of Time. When you wake up an adult, you know things are different. You worry what happened to Zelda. Has Ganondorf done anything yet? And then you get outside the Temple of Time right after being spooked by the very mysterious Sheik for the first time, and that ring of fire is there, and you just know something horrible has happened. It was awesome.

The moon.... eeeh, I'm sorry, but it really only made me take the issue less seriously. They just had to put a face on it. It cracked me up, and I still think it's a really goofy thing to try to put in something that was meant to be taken a little more seriously.

So far, I think seeing a big wall of Twilight is the best "landmark". I think it'd have been better if it moved at a more ominous pace, but eh, that' mean including a time feature again, and once was enough. In any case, I think it was pretty foreboding, and despite my issues with TP, I have to say that was pretty well done. Now if only the NPCs would've reacted to it and made the situation seem a little more dire....

The moon hands down. When that moon crashes down BAMM your done for good. As for death mountain It has never erupted over hyrule. The only time it was a real threat was when you had to go in the fire temple in OoT.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
For me, the one landmark that really sticks in my mind is the barrier around Hyrule Castle in TP. The image is so crystal clear in my mind, from the Zora's Fountain throne room, that ominous glowing orange crystal peaking out from between the canyons on the sides of the Zora's Domain, the first time I saw that for some reason I was just enthralled, and I started thinking about the cutscene where the barrier was first put in place. There's just something beautifully eerie about it that made me want to push forward and take down that barrier and all of Hyrule's evils with it.

P

Phantom Ganon

Some people say the graveyard or death mountain but I must say it had to be Navi.
"HAY U HADZ 2 FIND DE KEAYZ!!!".

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I think the best is the moon. Every day it was closer and closer, and the land would shake more and more. Every time Link looked up it was a reminder of what's happening. A close second is the twilight around Hyrule Castle. Whenever you were in one of the fields it was always in the distance, reminding you of what was happening. I do like Death Mountain in OoT, but like someone said before, it was resolved a little more than half-way through the game, as cool as it was to walk outside the Temple of Time and see that. If Ganon's Tower was able to be seen from Hyrule Field in OoT, it would have probably been my favorite.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I'm kind of partial to the twilight wall myself - the ones surrounding the regions, not just Hyrule castle (though that, too, was good.) It reminds me of an "oncoming storm" that Link voluntarily ran right into the center of.

That being said, I know you can't see it from other regions like in 3D games, but the Pyramid of Power was certainly burned in my mind as a landmark in AlttP. It was a combination of it being impressive on its own, and me continually starting and stopping the game and therefore returning to it over and over.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The most harrowing landmark would have to be either the moon or death mountain. Currently they are the only two landmarks (outside of the Twilight Realm) that I recall actually stood out and loomed over the land even if you were miles away. However I think the moon wins in terms of intensity. The thing that made Death Mountain less menacing was the lighting surrounding the many areas of Hyrule. The night sky was calm and Death Mountain appeared more like a lighthouse in that sense. When you were in Castle Town (Future) it always seemed intimidating due to the lighting. So the lightning really hurt Death Mountain for me.

The moon was always there, watching your every move and always veering closer. It's horrible grin feel into your mind like a ton of bricks and pierced it like a sharp arrow. You always knew that it wanted to kill you, and you knew that it was coming closer to you. With the tick of the clock you could hear the bells toll, drawing it ever closer to the world of Termina. And the most frightening part was that if you watched the moon, you could see it moving closer...

The barrier surrounding Hyrule Castle in Twilight Princess is probably the one that sticks out most for me. From the time it was created to the time it was destroyed. It felt like no matter where you went, it was always in view, taunting you as you passed by. When it was destroyed is really what sticks in my mind. Seeing the Fused Shadow's awesome powers really freaked me out. At first I definitely thought they would corrupt Midna and I would have to fight her. Now of course this was my first Zelda game, so I actually didn't know Ganondorf was the final enemy, I just thought he would be the boss of Arbiter's Grounds since it was in the Gerudo Desert.

The second landmark that stands out is the Moon in Majora's Mask. The Moon and the time limit made me anxious to get through the Temples as fast as I could. I would always have to start doing stuff on the Dawn of the First Day. If it was a Temple, I would go immediately. Even if only, say, two or three hours passed, I would still play the Song of Time to have the full 72 hours to complete the Temple. I also hated any side-quests that had me do things on the Night of the Final Day. I remember when I first did the Anju and Kafei quest, I almost didn't have the patience for Kafei to get himself to Anju.

Epona

Ordon Village
Definitely the moon in MM, the TP barrier around Hyrule Castle, and OoT's Hyrule Castle when Link is an adult.

Maxxxers

Fanboy
The Twilight wall without a doubt. Throughout the entire game that thing was just looming in the distance taunting you. And throughout the game you were just thinking about defeating Zant and getting inside that castle and ultimately defeating Ganon. It was epic at its finest.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
I'd have to say the first thing that pops into my mind is the moon in mm. Although its not as menacing as some others, it represents the impending doom of Termina. The problem's literally "staring you in the face". The "landmark" with the most eerie nostalgic value to me has to be Hyrule Castel in TP, however.

:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom