• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Backwards Compatability; Do You Think It Could Be A System Seller Next Gen?

BC is a big thing for me, when new gens come out the old gens are still available for some time and if i didnt own the previous console it means i can buy two libraries worth of games, on the flip side even if i did have the previous console, it'd still have me get some use out of the new console by playing those older games so yeah, i think BC is very important to me when i consider buying a console. i think every console should be BC with the last gen.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Backwards compatability is a system seller with every generation. its impact on individuals will vary of course but as a broader concept, yes, it will lead to people making the decision to purchase the console. A console being able to play all the games of its predecessor means that early adopters have a wealth of software to use with it. The fact that those games were not developed specifically for the new console is immaterial; the extended library of games gives plenty of people a reason to buy one while waiting for new software.

For example, I bought a Wii U on launch day and own three games for it: Nintendo Land, ZombiU and Assassin's Creed III. You know what games I have spent nearly as many hours playing on it? Skyward Sword, Battalion Wars 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and numerous Virtual Console games I downloaded over the last few years. While it is entirely accurate to say that I have very few games for my Wii U that were developed for it, it cannot be said that I haven't got plenty of use out of it. The backwards compatability has helped me get my money's worth out of the system in these early days before the Wii U's unique library is robust enough to support it. If it didn't have that then I would have perhaps waited to make my purchase for the simple reason that I wouldn't be using the console very much. Backwards compatability prevents that.

The same held true when I bought my Xbox 360. When I got it there were literally no games available that took my fancy. I ended up buying Gears of War just so I could play multiplayer with my friends but the game looked (and turned out to be) pretty naff. It was the console's backwards compatability that made the purchase worthwhile. As I waited for Halo 3, Oblivion and Call of Duty 4 I spent my time playing Halo 2 and Morrowind on the new console. Having games that I could play on the console already gave me a reason to buy one, so I did.

The other advantage of backwards compatability is the opportunity to experience a whole generation of video games. Buying a PS4 gives you access to one generation of software. Buying a Wii U gives you access to two. Buying a Wii gives you access to two. Buying a PS3, with a bit of fiddling around, gives you access to three. Owning a Wii is how I experienced the majority of Gamecube games I've played and I'd wager there were plenty of others who did the same. After I bought my DS I found myself playing GBA games almost as often as new DS games. Having that access to an entire generation of software and to numerous entries in a franchise is a big plus for many people, especially when the older games can generally be acquired fairly cheaply.

Backwards compatability is never going to be a crucial feature in the 'console wars' but it does influence many people deciding whether to buy now or wait it out. I know that in my experience backwards compatability is a major advantage and it has seen me purchase a DS, 3DS and Wii U upon release for I had plenty of games to play on them at once. With the Wii it opened up the wider world of the Gamecube to me. Backwards compatability will lead to some people buying sooner rather than later and it can also provide people with a huge number of unplayed games if they never owned the preceeding console. There will be plenty of Wii U's sold on the basis that they play Wii games (I'd wager it'll be the main reason for families with young children to buy the console) and plenty of other people who will hold off on a PS4 because it can't play PS3 games. I wouldn't hold my breath that Microsoft will have much if any backwards compatability and that will most likely lead to many people holding off until the console's unique library is larger.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
BC is a big thing for me, when new gens come out the old gens are still available for some time and if i didnt own the previous console it means i can buy two libraries worth of games, on the flip side even if i did have the previous console, it'd still have me get some use out of the new console by playing those older games so yeah, i think BC is very important to me when i consider buying a console. i think every console should be BC with the last gen.

That's how it was for me with the Wii, I never owned the GameCube, but the backwards compatibility for Wii allowed me to stock up on both Wii games and GC games that I wanted to play (like WW, FSA, etc). And with the X-box it was nice to have backwards compatibility on the 360 so that I could reduce shelf space to only the one console instead of having to constantly alternate between the two. My TV also has a limited amount of input options, the more consoles I own, the more often I have to get behind the TV to unplug/plug-in.

Back in the day backwards compatibility didn't exist, but now that it has been done, we are beginning to expect it. 3DS was my first handheld console ever, yet I actually own and play more DS games on it than 3DS games. If it had been made purely to play 3DS games and nothing else, it would have been less attractive for me to buy.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Not a deal breaker but I do find it important, especially early in a console's life cycle.
However, if the PS4 did have BC, I'd probably be more inclined to buy it since I don't own a PS3 (and don't intend on ever buying one) but still want to play select few PS3 games (Uncharted series, Heavy Rain and Last of Us).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think Nintendo is one step ahead of Sony by having backwards compatibility. Many gamers are going to use their new console to play their older games. Some will even sell their older consoles because they can do this. I know I GameCube games only on the Wii, and I know I'll play Wii games only on the Wii U (when I get one). And, like Cfrock said, it gives access to two generations of hardware rather than one, meaning if someone missed out on the previous console, they can still buy its most popular games for the new console, especially early on. You simply get more bang for your buck with backwards compatibility, and with how many great PS3 exclusives there were last gen -- I'm saying "last gen" because we might as well be in the 8 generation -- there are no doubt going to be a number of people that will hesitate to buy the PS4, some of which just might opt for the readily-available Wii U, which will have multiple system-sellers by the time the PS4 comes out.

As for Microsoft, that remains to be seen.

I should be able to hold the console accountable only for the generation it's in, and that means good games.

So why are you so cynical towards the Wii U by calling it a "7th gen console" when it hasn't had the proper chance to come out with system-selling games yet?

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The main bummer about the lack of GC BC on the Wii U is that I can't use GC controllers for my Wii games....

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I thought Brawl was the only noteworthy game that had that option? In which case, why not just use the Pro Controller?

Mario Kart Wii had GCN controller support, also. I'm one to say that it's my controller of choice for that game.

Now by "Pro controller", do you mean the Classic Controller Pro or the Wii U Pro Controller? I would assume you mean the latter, which actually isn't compatible with Wii software...
The Classic Controller Pro is still an option though. I'd rather stick to the Gamecube Controller on the Wii, personally, but whatever floats your boat.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
yeah this is something they teased us with, with the original release of the PS3, then they took it agaway form me,cuz all those old games a great, and for them to take aways you choice to play them thats just bad business practive. i think if you payed for it you should be able to play it on ever console to follow. otherwise they are showing no reaspect for the people who love the games of the past

its sad really!

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't understand the importance people place on backwards compatibility or that some people seem to think it should be a defining characteristic of a console, even going so far as to claim a console will be "ruined" without it.

Why does anyone want to play last gen games on a next gen system? If they already have the system's predecessor, then why do they want to be able to play games on both? If they don't then why not just wait for the system's next generation of backwards compatible console so they can essentially buy two at the same time? In a new generation of consoles with new innovations and new tech haven't we moved forward? Why is such an importance placed on what amounts to an anchor that can drag the potential of a dedicated next gen system down?

It isn't easy maintaining backwards compatibility if a next gen system changes so drastically that its system architecture is so radically different from its predecessor. The cost to implement backwards compatibility in this case is just too high, and unrealistic, and this is a cost the manufacturer either has to eat or pass on to the consumer.

These days digital downloads have pretty much rendered backwards compatibility on current gen systems moot anyway.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Why does anyone want to play last gen games on a next gen system? If they already have the system's predecessor, then why do they want to be able to play games on both.

Because not everyone has unlimited shelfspace for their consoles, hence being able to "upgrade" while still keeping your games matters to some.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I thought Brawl was the only noteworthy game that had that option? In which case, why not just use the Pro Controller?

I have other fighting games like DBZBT3 that use it, there's also Mario Kart and VC games. And I COULD use Classic Controller, but it's another expense and I prefer the GC remote--also the GC remote doesn't use battery.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Why is such an importance placed on what amounts to an anchor that can drag the potential of a dedicated next gen system down?

It isn't easy maintaining backwards compatibility if a next gen system changes so drastically that its system architecture is so radically different from its predecessor. The cost to implement backwards compatibility in this case is just too high, and unrealistic, and this is a cost the manufacturer either has to eat or pass on to the consumer.

These days digital downloads have pretty much rendered backwards compatibility on current gen systems moot anyway.

where are you getting the idea that it can bring down the system in anyway, and think that it would hinder its chance to be a successful console, its not and expensive process, like you make it out to be, all it is is an emulator program just like you can play with on you computer if you dont have the system to play said game, and concidering it would be a game that is made in a similar format they are used to play. so there is a really cheap way to do it, have you seen the size, of the emulator program its self. TIMY!, so whether they do in the for of an app, you know like a PS1 app and a PS3, app, soo too be PS3 app

Is so important because, when you by a system that has so many good games like the PS1 and 2, SNES, N64 Sgea. wile most kept those old system cuz the nexts console didnt use the same format. But at first everyone was selling their old PS1s for PS2,as we as PS2s later, so they can get a lil taken of of the next sysetem. Not to mention you can sell the console alone and keep the cords, unless you want the hdmi, that way you have the AV cables you need play it. i would say the power cabe is the same but thats only for the PS Slims, which makes it poinless to sell you PS2, cuz you cant play PS2 game, and can barley play PS1 games, it kind sucks. but what ever i guess the greatest games are on the market! For a long time.

Backwards compatibility is the sole reason i got the Wii, as well as the NSMB. oh and punch out, actually any game that had been around since NES. i never owned a game cube. but i have a controller now and a memory card so i can play all the gamcube games i missed and, if i can find wind waker.... but thats a sore subject conciding i refuse to pay 50 bucks for a use and most likely damaged copy.

You do have a point, that you can get anything on the VC, which i wish i was able to access that. its terrible. i jail broke my wii cuz i dont have internet, i didnt mean to disrespect Nintendo, i just wanted to be able to enjoy my nintendo wii the best way i could like everyone else does. i miss out on a lot of cool games that arent old nintendo games, but Indi Dev games. i love that stuff. Seeing new games that have old school graphics and came play. or at least retro.... maybe not retro, but classic mechanics. ***SORRY I GOT OFF TOPIC I WAS JUST FUN TO TALK ALOUD***

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I have other fighting games like DBZBT3 that use it, there's also Mario Kart and VC games. And I COULD use Classic Controller, but it's another expense and I prefer the GC remote--also the GC remote doesn't use battery.
I totally agree I had almost forgot about VC. Playing titles like OoT and MM used a similar control scheme to GCN Zeldas, so it felt amazing playing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom