• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Art Direction of a Cartoon

(Checked for threads like this since the beginning of 2013, didn't see anything)

Earlier today I was watching one of my favorite shows of all time, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and I just couldn't get over how amazing the art is. It's one of the best aspects of the show, and in my opinion some of the best art in cartoon history. Thinking about it has left me wondering...

Are there any cartoons whose art and/or animation leaves you speechless? What do you like about it? Is the art direction even something you care about in a cartoon? Or is it maybe even more important than the story, script, voice acting, etc.? Let me know!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well I wouldn't say art direction but the animation of old school Spongebob, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Chowder, and Ed Edd n Eddy all blow me away even in 2013. Technically speaking, the animation is subpar. But, the animation of those shows just has a certain charm to it that the better and advanced animations just don't bring. I don't know what it is exactly, though, so i'll stop rambling.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i agree with courage, and Chowder, thats just cool, Ed Edd and Eddy is terrible are, but funny as hell. I really like the art style of the old Rockos' modern Life, the animator later did another comic that looked the same, cant remember the name but it was somthing about a summer camp or somthing

The Amazing world of Gumball, is just amazing, the art on top of real world setting, really cool

But the art direction i say takes the cake, and its not fair to the others mentioned cuz its an anime, but the art style of Soul Eaters is to die for, so abstract, the moon reminds me of the moon from MM! but yeah theres my opinion!

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
The Legend of Korra (it counts as a cartoon, I guess) is amazing. It's the shining example for all cartoons to follow. Both the art and animations are flawless, and I really have no complaints about it whatsoever. I've been a fan of the art style since The Last Airbender, so I had expected the same when TLoK was released. Additionally, I feel that voice actors, scripts, and storyline are all equally important as the art direction in a cartoon, or really any animated show.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Batman: The Animated Series has got to be one of the best shows of all time, art direction alone. Animation has gotten a lot better since 1992, but Batman just has such a classic look and feel to it. Everything pretty much comes together perfectly, and it wouldn't be the same if it didn't look the way it does. The show still holds up really well today, although an HD upgrade would be amazing. Still the best Batman cartoon created and one of the best cartoons period. They seriously don't make them like that anymore. Today, everything has a stupid lazy jagged edge look to it.

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Batman: The Animated Series has got to be one of the best shows of all time, art direction alone. Animation has gotten a lot better since 1992, but Batman just has such a classic look and feel to it. Everything pretty much comes together perfectly, and it wouldn't be the same if it didn't look the way does. The show still holds up really well today, although an HD upgrade would be amazing. Still the best Batman cartoon created and one of the best cartoons period. They seriously don't make them like that anymore. Today, everything has a stupid lazy jagged edge look to it.

not to mention almost every Voice actor in that show came back for the Arkham Games as well, after Arkham City however Skywalker did that that was his last time doing the joker.... Joker will never be the same with out the Evil Jedi Voice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom