• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Art Book Disappointment

So after having looked through my Art and Artifacts book, I can't really stifle my disappointment at what was in there. Or, more specifically what wasn't in it. It seems that no matter where I look I can't seem to find print versions of the older promo artwork with a specific aesthetic. That really lovely stuff with the minimal colors and strong line work. I can find it on the internet, but it's all random. I was hoping for a cohesive collection this time. I guess that's what I get for getting my hopes up. I thought for sure they'd have what I was looking for in this one...

Im not expecting much from it. I already know they messed some names up.

Itll be nice to go with all my other pretty Zelda books. But it is what it is. A pretty cash grab.

Hopefully the Hyrule Encyclopedia will be better value.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'd have found out first if what I wanted was in there before buying. If you dont try before you buy then this sort of thing can happen.

Well, it's still nice to have. I did like all the pages with the comparisons between the pencil sketch and the final, it's just that I am beginning to wonder where all that artwork that I love most came from. Was it ever even official stuff in the first place?

Well, it's still nice to have. I did like all the pages with the comparisons between the pencil sketch and the final, it's just that I am beginning to wonder where all that artwork that I love most came from. Was it ever even official stuff in the first place?

Link some and we'll let you know.

With over 400 pages of official art in that book its odd to think theyd leave anything out other than BotW stuff.

I'm very happy to own it, but quite sad that it wasn't as incredible as I thought it was going to be.
I'm a sucker for concept art and anything art related when it comes to games that I adore.
It will have a lovely spot on my shelf with the rest of my Zelda stuff.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd have found out first if what I wanted was in there before buying. If you dont try before you buy then this sort of thing can happen.
It's wrapped up in plastic and I absolutely will not allow you to open up my merchandise. Do some reading online for content.

Just my opinion here.

I dont think these are official. Ive never seen them before and theyre not the style Nintendo usually use, or i can imagine using.

I may be completely wrong but i dont think these are official artworks from Nintendo for a Zelda game at all, which would be why theyre not in A&A

Tibari

Rinkuji
"When The Legend of Zelda first appeared a couple of decades ago, artist Katsuya Terada created these amazing concept artworks for the first few games that appeared in player's guides and in Nintendo Power magazine. Although it differs greatly from the Zelda that evolved on later systems, it's a fascinating look into the series' early roots."

I don't know if we can consider these images as official or not...

http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapfactory/curiosities/2013/november/legend_of_zelda.htm

Djinn

and Tonic
Majority of the art has been readily available for a long time already. So I did not see much of a point behind the art book. Concept art is always fun to look at but Nintendo never kept much of it and they have been releasing that in recent years too. There is just not enough of that for an artbook either

I was hoping for more unreleased artwork than what I saw, but there was some. A lot of unreleased Tri Force Heroes art, anyway. Except, there was some artwork that wasn't even in the book. They never included the official of art of Link with the hero's bow in The Wind Waker, and I was hoping to see that one, especially. Was hoping they would have included more Breath of the Wild art, too. It was probably the laziest section of the entire book. At least I didn't get the collectors edition. I'd say I'm still relatively contented with the book anyhow. I've mostly been taking pictures of art on my phone and making memes out of them (I may make a masterpost in a blog later kek), so I'd say it's worth it in that regard.

I already know they messed some names up.
Dark Horse does that a lot. My sister has all of the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra artbooks and it's just out of carelessness of the publisher.

I don't see the issue here. The book is an excellent coffee table book. Tons of art there. All organised in an understandable way. Also the interview at the end of the book was great. Sure no European box arts but apart from that it's really good.

Also you know the BotW section would be small because potential game spoilers so it's just an official artwork section. That's fine be me. It's a huge book and I'm very glad I bought it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom