• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are you hard to please with video games?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
My first games were Banjo Kazooie and OOT so it was hard for games to live up after having such an amazing first experience. I'm usually quite good at picking games I end up liking though.

There are a few games that get given 10/10s that are mediocre or I just couldn't get into. Zelda (and other Nintendo) games are almost always given high praise even when they are mediocre. BoTW for instance is no way a 10/10 but people seem to get great enjoyment from doing stuff you can't do in other games like attaching octobaloons to fell trees and floating across the map and despite the poor story and annoying weapon breaking I guess that's enough for some people to be convinced it's a great game. There was also the case of Super Mario Galaxy 2, where it got so much praise when it was basically a DLC to the first one but with even less of a plot and inferior hub world. I guess those things didn't matter to the reviewers but they matter to me so I'd have to give a mediocre score to the game myself which was a disappointment as I loved SMG 1.

God of War I couldn't even get interested in. That one had high praise but after playing a couple of hours I put it down never to be started again most likely.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
Actually, I am easy to please if I love the characters. Really the deal breaker is if controls and the load times are terrible like Sonic 2006.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I consider myself to be a very critical thinker but I also genuinely enjoy gaming. I wouldn't say I'm easy to please so much as I can tolerate and put up with a lot. I find many people who write off games for trivial reasons aren't exactly the kind of gamer I would like to talk video games with because they likely don't enjoy gaming the same way I do.

I've known many people who own a console, play regularly, and dabble into popular games but don't finish em because they rather be playing some mindless online game 24/7 yet will be very opinionated about games they hardly played and didn’t finish just to justify their strange gaming habits.

Gaming is something I enjoy first and foremost from a gameplay perspective and so even if there are aspects of a game that I find displeasing or disappointing, I can tolerate it if it's giving me a worthwhile gameplay experience. That's not to say I don't have specific expectations and standards for various games, but I also know the difference between a subjective critique and an objective one.

A game doesn't have to cater to me 100% for me to recognize a well made fun product. As a Resident Evil fan, that's been the case for nearly 2 decades now. I can tear into those games as a fan of survival horror all day long but can also easily praise them as a fan of video games. People who just hate everything and think gaming is dead and feel special because they only play old games are just insufferable.

TheGreatCthulhu

The Eyes of the Nile are opening.... You'll see.
ZD Legend
I will only say a game is garbage if it's fundamentally broken in some form or another.

If the mechanics make sense, keep me playing, and the controls are nice and smooth, then I'm more than likely going to be satisfied.

The truly magnificent games seem to hit a button for me that keeps me playing them, and those are rare games indeed for me.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Having started my gaming journey with Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the types of games I still enjoy most to this day are the ones I can boot up and be playing within a minute.

Something that's a big turnoff for me is a game that has excessively long cutscenes or very frequent ones like in Metal Gear Solid 4.

I think the longer I've been gaming, the more I've broadened my horizons. My original loves are platformers, action adventure games, racing games, and shooters. In recent years I've gotten more into puzzle games, beat 'em ups, fighting games, and schmups.

I don't think I'll ever get into sports games, though. I'd rather work out in real life or watch athletes compete in real life.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo
ZD Champion
I can tolerate repetitive if the locations are great, the story intrigues me, and I like some of the characters.

I wouldn't say I'm hard to please, for the most part. I can tolerate a fair bit of jank and problems, but if I don't mesh well with a game's atmosphere or characters, that's a much bigger turnoff than technical issues and such.

If something's fun, it's fun. It doesn't need to be amazing or perfect. Dynasty Warriors is a good example of that. What some folks see as mindless button mashing I see as a great stress-relieving power trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom