• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are there any games you try to play annually?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I've seen people talk every now and then about how they do annual playthroughs of a certain game. Whether it's for a holiday/season or it's one of their favorite games they like to come back to. What about you guys? Are there any games you try to play yearly? Even if you skip a year or two you can still bring it up if it your replays are frequent enough.

I think Hollow Knight is the only game that presently meets this critera. Though it's not really that I intend to play it yearly; it's just a game I seem to revisit a lot. Think, uh, I average about two playthroughs a year. I did also play Super Metroid annually for a few years but when I had a big gaming drought last year, I seem to have fallen out of that. It's crossed my mind to play it this year and get back to that, but dunno if that'll happen.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've replayed OoT once a year every year since 1998, and it wasn't intentional, I just always go back to it.

For a long time Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy was a game I replayed every year, I didn't replay it last year though.

In terms of annual games I associate with a season, if I plan to replay Majora's Mask I aim to play it around Halloween. It just feels like a fall type of game.

A pattern I've just realized is that every attempted replay I've done of BotW, starting from the beginning, I've started in either spring or summer. Even my first playthrough of the game I started in spring and it wasn't because it released in Spring of 2017, I played it for the first time in 2020. It was the game that got me through the lockdown period of the pandemic.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't have any particular game that I replay from start to finish annually, but I do have games that just stay perpetually installed on my computer due to how often I play them. For instance, Warhammer Vermintide 2 is a Left 4 Dead style horde game I've racked 1000 hours of playtime in. It's stayed installed on my computer since it released in 2018, and I played it just yesterday.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I used to make a habit to 100% Mario Galaxy every year, but I didn’t last year and I haven’t really planned to do it this year either. Maybe if I cant think of anything new I want to play I might pull it out again.

There are a handful of Zelda games that I’ve played so frequently that they very well may have been annual at some point, being OoT, WW, and Zelda 1, though oddly enough not MM. I never attempted to go out of my way to play them annually though.

Last edited:
For me it is Classic DOOM.
I try to run through the OG DOOM and DOOM 2 at least once a year. Just so I remember what the original is, because I have played a lot of mods and WADs.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Usually OoT for me. Every so often I’ll get an itch to play an older game, but OoT is always one I find myself going back to. MQ sometimes follows, but I find that I don’t play older consoles very often anymore so unless I already have the console set up for a game I’m dying to play, I tend to stick with what I have currently on the latest one.

Aside from Zelda, the Resident Evil franchise also often gets some of my time annually, specifically RE2 on the N64 or GCN (depends which console is plugged in), but like Vikze, I find as a not properly functional adult, that I don’t have enough time to watch and play all the things I want to anymore so I’ve started to become very selective. Only unlike Vikze, I’ll default to something I’ve already watched/played because I already enjoyed it and know that it’ll be worth my time.

I don’t neccessarily try to play SM64 anually, but I’ve played it so much that It is probably annually. Super Mario 64 is my favorite game of all time, and I always find myself coming back to 100% it year after year.

The only other one I replay almost annually would have to be Donkey Kong Country 2. My 2nd favorite game of all time, it just never gets old year after year.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Just some games that really made an impression. One such game is Spectral Force 3. I really like the combat system. <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom