• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Apparently {SPOILERS}

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Definitely said it plenty of times but it certainly applies here: the damsel in distress gives the hero a reason to save her. To say that Zelda needs to be the hero or she's worthless is...well, it's pretty lame. Not that she can't be, I'm not opposed to playing as her but I don't believe it's high time she was the hero simply because she's never been the hero. That's just asking to have your "expectations subverted" (simple inversion) like nearly every other media franchise in the past decade.

Daku Rinku

Honorary Gerudo (I have my card)
ZD Champion
Definitely said it plenty of times but it certainly applies here: the damsel in distress gives the hero a reason to save her. To say that Zelda needs to be the hero or she's worthless is...well, it's pretty lame. Not that she can't be, I'm not opposed to playing as her but I don't believe it's high time she was the hero simply because she's never been the hero. That's just asking to have your "expectations subverted" (simple inversion) like nearly every other media franchise in the past decade.
I think however, this isn’t a matter of Zelda taking Link’s hero role away, its that in this case she needs to help him; afterall he rescued her from the crystal, so in effect he did rescue her, but now he needs the reciprocation. I prefer to see Link & Zelda as equals, and Zelda isn’t even going to be rescuing Link in the way he does her, its called Echoes of Wisdom for a reason. I believe we will get puzzles and mysteries, and you’ll have to use The Rod of Wisdom to solve them, not the Sword of Courage.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I think however, this isn’t a matter of Zelda taking Link’s hero role away, its that in this case she needs to help him; afterall he rescued her from the crystal, so in effect he did rescue her, but now he needs the reciprocation. I prefer to see Link & Zelda as equals, and Zelda isn’t even going to be rescuing Link in the way he does her, its called Echoes of Wisdom for a reason. I believe we will get puzzles and mysteries, and you’ll have to use The Rod of Wisdom to solve them, not the Sword of Courage.
I don't think that EoW will steal Link's hero role and give it to Zelda, I'm saying I don't believe it's "time for Zelda to be the hero". Link holds Zelda in such high regard that the series itself is named for her. The idea that Zelda is worthless because she usually plays a damsel in distress is patronizing and myopic (in my opinion). I'm happy to play a game staring Zelda (although I wish it were a spin-off), it sounds like fun and I think Nintendo is the only company that could do it justice.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
I don't think that EoW will steal Link's hero role and give it to Zelda, I'm saying I don't believe it's "time for Zelda to be the hero". Link holds Zelda in such high regard that the series itself is named for her. The idea that Zelda is worthless because she usually plays a damsel in distress is patronizing and myopic (in my opinion). I'm happy to play a game staring Zelda (although I wish it were a spin-off), it sounds like fun and I think Nintendo is the only company that could do it justice.
I do not know anyone claiming Zelda is worthless, without her there is no Legend of Zelda. And Zelda has not been a damsel in distress for a long time, she has contributed so much. I mean in OoT as Shiek she helped Link, in WW she helped Link as Tetra and even fought Ganondorf, in TP she saved Midna, and in Totk she made the sacrifice to heal the Master Sword so Link could defeat Ganon. She has been helping in major ways for most of the games now and this time she is simply stepping into a new phase of helping Link.

Zelda is not becoming something she is not, she simply is getting a larger role as something she has been for sometime.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I do not know anyone claiming Zelda is worthless, without her there is no Legend of Zelda. And Zelda has not been a damsel in distress for a long time, she has contributed so much. I mean in OoT as Shiek she helped Link, in WW she helped Link as Tetra and even fought Ganondorf, in TP she saved Midna, and in Totk she made the sacrifice to heal the Master Sword so Link could defeat Ganon. She has been helping in major ways for most of the games now and this time she is simply stepping into a new phase of helping Link.

Zelda is not becoming something she is not, she simply is getting a larger role as something she has been for sometime.
I mean, I'd mostly call her worthless. Even the games where she plays a slightly larger role insist on throwing her into a closet and waiting for Link to rescue her. She doesn't get any cool dramatic moments of her own.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
I mean, I'd mostly call her worthless. Even the games where she plays a slightly larger role insist on throwing her into a closet and waiting for Link to rescue her. She doesn't get any cool dramatic moments of her own.
Well her involvement is limited because the player is Link, you cannot give a NPC too much to do. Now with her playable, I believe that can change.

Guinea

Basically Tingle
Zelda is finally a strong independent princess that don't need no Link.

Prince Sidon

In Midna's Debt
ZD Champion
That was very poetic

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Well her involvement is limited because the player is Link, you cannot give a NPC too much to do. Now with her playable, I believe that can change.
You absolutely can. Games have important companions accompany you and play large roles in gameplay all the time. Even if you're not making them playable a la the Baldur's Gate, you can make them important partners and critical to the narrative like Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite.

Last edited:

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Legend
I hope it's just referring to the prologue because it'd be really cool to start as Link and switch to Zelda, but also this game is advertised as Zelda's game pfffft, if they're gonna go with both of them working together they really screwed that trailer up hahah

I think they should use Link as little as possible, because if Echoes is going to be about Zelda they should focus on her. She hasn't been a playable protagonist in any Zelda game so far, so it feels disingenuous if, even in her very own game, they gotta squeeze Link in there too.

I mean, I'd love a game with both Zelda and Link as playable protagonists, but this is NOT the game to do that with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom