• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anyone else a Composer?

Hello everyone. I'm a composer. A very new composer to be exact. I'm writing mostly keyboard pieces for a typical videogame; y'know, a sad piece, an opening piece, a fighting piece, a village-ish piece, a perilous piece, and most of all, the grand final boss battle theme, as well as other sorts of pieces. I'll wrap them all together into a soundtrack, sell it to the nearest indie game producer, and make me a little bit o' cash.
So I said to myself, "Gee, wouldn't it be a great idea to ask that huge online forum I go to to see if they have any pros in the field that could help me?" And then I realized they'd probably want to talk about other compositional topics. So here's an open thread for musical composers.
As for my progress on the gaming pieces, I've so far only made a couple of the bars of the final boss, the sad theme is being written very tentatively, and everything else is just being planned for, since I have no other inspirations. Is there anything you people recommend I refer to for inspiration?

I'm a songwriter rather than a composer. But I'd recommend setting aside time each day to work on it. And listen to other soundtracks, it'll give you a good grounding in how it all works. And also listen to other stuff that doesn't relate at all to soundtracks, which will give you inspiration to write original stuff for your own soundtrack.

I'm a songwriter rather than a composer. But I'd recommend setting aside time each day to work on it. And listen to other soundtracks, it'll give you a good grounding in how it all works. And also listen to other stuff that doesn't relate at all to soundtracks, which will give you inspiration to write original stuff for your own soundtrack.

Songwriter, eh? That counts as a composer. What sort of songs do you write?

Thanks, I'll do what you recommend with just setting out a schedule for working on the pieces. But I'm not sure I get what you mean by listening to "stuff that doesn't relate at all to soundtracks". Do you mean white noise or SFX or...? I'd love to try that out, but I just don't know what you meant.

David

But you called me here...
I'm a musician and a composer. (relatively new, but still, I can compose music). Sources I draw from for inspiration are other soundtracks, my moods, and my thoughts. Inspiration is all drawn from different areas of each person's life. I'd recommend that you find your style of composing, and just let it grow.

I am in two bands. But I don't consider myself a composer. Your work sounds interesting. Care to share fred? :)

I'd love to! But I need to keep it secret for now just in case any director, game developer, or anyone else who needs music picks it up on Youtube or Vimeo.
And I need to finish writing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom