• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anybody Read Shakespeare?

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
Forgive me if there is a thread like this one and feel free to close it if there is one and yell at me (My mind is still in bio)

So has anyone read any Shakespeare? Or seen the plays? I have read a few sonnets and read
Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. In my English Classes. and I also have read (outside of School) Hamlet and A Midsummer Nights Dream. Most people complain how hard it is to read but for me it seems easy. Though ask me what "Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair" (1.1 ?-?) means or any quote that is like that and I couldn't tell you. But does anyone read it? Or seen the plays?
Which one was your favorite (if you have one)
Mine is Macbeth because it tries to say when the lust for power goes too far.

Ohgodyes! My favorites are The Merchant of Venice and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Much Ado About Nothing was okay too.

David

But you called me here...
I've read some Shakespeare in the past. My most favorite work of his is "Hamlet." The story is well written, the language is so clever, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are so funny to read about. I've also read Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Tempest, and several others. Shakespeare is an excellent writer and has definitely withstood the test of time.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I have only read Shakespeare that has been required for school. And those pieces are Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and Much Ado About Nothing. I enjoyed reading Much Ado About Nothing, as it was a comedy, and the other two were tragedies. However, I can't say that I like any of them all that much, mainly because it is hard to read and follow.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Shakespeare? It has nothing to do with the language or inability to understand it, I have read through many without any issue, I understand them perfectly fine. That's not to say I don't like any of his works, I just honestly think he isn't all that good. My opinion is way in the minority I guess, but I feel there is no one more overrated in anything then he is.

Shakespeare is cool, I really like The Winter's Tale, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, Macbeth, and Romeo and Juliet. In that order

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I've read three Shakespeare plays, The Tempest, Macbeth, and King Lear. In my experience the transition from modern English to older English can be a bit jarring at first, but after reading for a bit you get used to it. I've also read a couple sonnets.

Aside from that I've seen several plays in movie form. They are Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Henry V, The Taming of the Shrew and Macbeth. My favorite in both forms probably being Macbeth. Overall, I've enjoyed Shakespeare's works, they're good.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I have read a good amount of his plays. I studied Romeo and Juliet for a while. It was ver good. He was a clever and exellent playwright, and I admire him.

B

beyerballler54

I'm currently reading Romeo and Juliet in english class. I actually enjoy and I don't think it's that hard to read. You just have to think about it.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Oh man, I've read a small amount of his work, but the guy is a genius. I've read a few sonnets here and there, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, and King Lear. Not a huge fan of Romeo and Juliet, but I did like the humor in Hamlet and King Lear. Would read more of his stuff, but I'm not a big reader so it's hard to find the time.

C

Cobalt

My favorite is Macbeth. I've actually set parts of it to music before. In general, I like the tragedies more than the comedies. A Midsummer Night's Dream was pretty cool, but nothing beats how utterly terrible the endings to the tragedies are. He knew how to pull your heartstrings. The sonnets I never really got into, I only read the ones that were required reading when I was in high school.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I can not remember if I did read him in school but I know for sure that I have not done so after. I have watched some of the movies though (does it count? Maybe not). "The Merchant of Venice" and "A Midsummer Nights Dream". (I loved Al Pacino in the Merchant of Venice, believe it was the last good piece I have seen of him).

Can I imagine myself reading some Shakespeare in the future? Yes I can, I believe I can see the humoristic tendencies and that is always good :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom