• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any Fans of The(Admittedly Lazy) Multiple Timeline Theory?

H

Handren

I think that many of the inconsistencies in creating a unified timeline including all of the games is the fact that many of the games were not created with one intended. The First game that, IMO, was intended to be part of a larger timeline was OoT.

We all agree on:

I call this the Main Timeline
/ WW - PH - ST
OoT
\ MM - TP

Don`t we?

that's because all of the games here were made to fit into this specific timeline. There is no question about this order.

The Next Timeline, One Step removed from the OoT timeline and could very well be factored in, is the Four Swords Timeline. These I put as separate because they almost seem to follow a continuity of their own, and may in fact be a Prequel to the Retro Timeline:

MC -FS -FSA

Retro Timeline : LoZ - AoL - LTTP - LA or
LTTP -LA - LoZ - AoL

I understand the status of these as their own continuity is dubious, but FSA shares so much in common with the Retro timeline, it may very well be interconnected with it, which is why I bring up this controversial one:

MC - LoZ - FS - AoL - FSA - LTTP - LA.

or MC - FS - FSA - LTTP - LA - LoZ - AoL .

OoX is nearly impossible to place. Everyone who has tried runs into multiple inconsitencies, and if it were not for this game, timeline theories would go a lot easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I currently think they all fit on one timeline, though...
The Next Timeline, One Step removed from the OoT timeline and could very well be factored in, is the Four Swords Timeline. These I put as separate because they almost seem to follow a continuity of their own, and may in fact be a Prequel to the Retro Timeline:

MC -FS -FSA
I am currently looking into the possibility of the FSS being a separate timeline (I doubt it, but I'm having such a hard time placing it elsewhere that I thought I should keep my options open).

Retro Timeline : LoZ - AoL - LTTP - LA or
LTTP - Aol - LoZ - LA
do you mean LttP - LA - LoZ - AoL? (AoL must come directly after LoZ.)

MC - LoZ - FS - AoL - FSA - LTTP - LA.
or MC - FS - FSA - LTTP - LA - LoZ - AoL .
I find it hard to believe that any game could fit between LoZ and AoL.
The second one is better.

OoX is nearly impossible to place. Everyone who has tried runs into multiple inconsitencies, and if it were not for this game, timeline theories would go a lot easier.
I agree... I haven't even played them, so I'm really not even concentrating on them at all. I'm working on other parts of the timeline and just throwing them wherever the smart people tell me to. (I'm even ignoring the LttP/LA vs. OoX/LA debate because I don't feel like messing with OoX and I'm concentrating on ST and FSS.)

In conclusion, I think those are some nice arcs, but they all should fit together somehow.

OoX... hard to place? What problems are there with placing it after LoZ/AoL?

Hell LttP screws stuff up more than OoX.

H

Handren

I currently think they all fit on one timeline, though...I am currently looking into the possibility of the FSS being a separate timeline (I doubt it, but I'm having such a hard time placing it elsewhere that I thought I should keep my options open).

do you mean LttP - LA - LoZ - AoL? (AoL must come directly after LoZ.)
I find it hard to believe that any game could fit between LoZ and AoL.
The second one is better.

Yep, Fixed that one in the post. Also, there are a number of years between LoZ and AoL. Link and Zelda know each other in the beginning of FS, so after LoZ is a possible placement for it.

The Thing with FS is that it looks like FSA leads directly into both LTTP AND AOL. With Dark link and Gannon's Staff. USing that evidence, a Combined retro/ FS timeline would be:

MC -FS - FSA - LTTP - LA - LoZ - AoL

With Dark Link's attempt to ressurect gannon in AoL making sense here.

IMO, these two separate timelines make sense on their own, with OoX possibly going any time after LTTP if you really want to put it there.

Hmm, OoX is probably the easiest thing to place. It has to come in the same line as LoZ/AoL and LttP/LA, as one of the following:

LttP/LA-OoX-LoZ/AoL
(and I am pretty confident this is what has been intended)

LoZ/AoL-OoX-LttP/LA

LttP/LA-LoZ/AoL-OoX

LoZ/AoL-LttP/LA-OoX

H

Handren

Well if we do that then then whole timeline discussion is pretty much over, if everyone wants to agree on two separate timelines.

The problem would come when you want to merge the two into one giant thing, when it seems they work much better as two timelines.

IMO, it feels like they were almost envisioned as two timelines, since OoT was such a huge event in the gaming world and the Zelda world.

Going by the fact that there was no split when those games were developed, they were 100% surely developed to take place in the same timeline...

H

Handren

Going by the fact that there was no split when those games were developed, they were 100% surely developed to take place in the same timeline...

That is why I say that we should use two timelines for now until we get something in a Mainline game(IE definitively on one side or the other of the split) that connects to the old games.

Imagine if we had a zelda game where the "two worlds" Link often travels through are the two sides of the Split timeline? The image of Link Dual-wielding Master swords is too good to pass up. Either that or one side's Link becomes Evil, a new dark link.

Then again, I wanted TP to end with Link Running through the portal at the last second, Hugging Midna and ruling beside her as Twilight King, so what do I know. :P

T

travisback

Yeah, i really dont agree, for its more or less been confirmed that there is a split timeline. I'm thinking that the FS and all that are still disconnected from the timeline, for now. We can't even make a real timeline right now, for no one knows how long this series will go on, and our theories could be shattered in an instant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom