• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anti-Goddesses?

fiercedeity619

Remember the name
Who's to say they did? How do we know that the route to the hylian underworld is through a path in the sky? We didn't go with them in the game to find out where they ended up. And also whos to say the hylian religion doesn't even have a heaven? How do we know? Who's to say there isn't just he**?

ok listen to yourself...the underworld in the sky...-.-one of the most rediculus thing ive heard in awhile.

Weeell since you asked :P

In the Japanese, several people in several games reference "The Realm of the Dead". The terminology here is more similar to a Greek/Roman concept of a neutral afterlife. Neither heaven nor hell.

However, in the Japanese Oracles, Twinrova threatens to "personally drag you to hell". Pretty harsh, I love Japan. However, that's an angry witch yelling at you. The neutral afterlife is referenced by the Sages in OoT, which seems to give it more credibility.

Then again, Hylian culture seems to have an emphesis on ghosts and other afterlife forms, implying that maybe there isn't a "true death", or perhaps even some sort of reincarnation. Kaepora Gaebora is said to be a reincarnated ancient Sage.

Also in the Oracles, Twinrova states that the deceased Ganon is "wandering the darkness".

Final thing on my mind...Majora's Mask, in the story of the Four Giants, states that the imp (Skull Kid) was banished "to the heavens". The word used here in the Japanese means "realm of the Gods". While it could refer to the afterlife, I think it makes much more sense that it just refers to the dwelling place of deities. That's the more literal definition.

So there ya have it. Lots of different afterlife references.

are you talking about wandering spirits on the earth or something else cause i don't understand

in every religion there is good and evil (God and the Devil).

the history of Hyrule and the religion shown in the game only ever really talks about the Goddesses, so my question is "are there any devils to counteract the Goddesses?"

and before you start shooting out Ganon/dorf and Majora as answers, those are demons, not devils, and none of them are ever said to rule the underworld but we know that the goddesses rule the heavens, so who is the enemy of the Goddesses? you cant have good without evil and this is constantly proven throughout the series by the everlasting battle between Link/Zelda and Ganon/dorf.

we see tons of Gods and always hear legends about the Goddesses but where is the Devil or Devils?

what do you guys think about this?

Wrong, Ganon was said to be from Hell and said to be the Demon King.

T

TechnoWolf

I think it might be Midna. If you consider the fact that the twilight realm is the underworld. Also throughout TP midna is always persuading you to do things for her and admits that she just was just using you for her own selfish purposes. But then again there might not be a devil in Hyrule.

CZG

I always thought that the goddess of sand wasn't the nicest one.
Good thing she got stuck in some big rock in the desert, I guess.

Din is somehow a bit suspicious too, I don't know why...

S

Shyguyo

But Majora was a tribe maybe they were like a cult and were followers to their god/Demon lord etc then the powers/god was sealed into a mask >_>

S

SamuraiOfShikah

I don't think the three goddesses are good or evil, they just left their power for others to seek and use for whatever reason they wanted, if they were good, they'd only let good people able to wish, instead of anyone that obtains the full triforce.

guys, you gotta realize that everything that has to do with the Zelda games originates in japan, and they don't have the same religeons as in other countries, so the Zelda games will be like that.

Yep, that is why they had churches and crosses in the first three Zelda games, oh wait.

Maybe the "devils" are Ganon, and all the monsters collectivelly, including bosses. If there was some sort of devilish diety, it most likely would have been mentioned by now.

Well, There must be some anti-godess or devil like figure, because (If you can understand this) Without Evil there is no good. Wherever there is a good person, there is an opposite, an equal, a bad person. Ganon may symbolise the devil, but, The way I see it.....
The godesses are hyrulian legend. In religion, the religion's respective God(s) are immortal, existing, by the sounds of it, outside time (at least, according to my RE Teacher)
and therefore unharmable by mortals. So therefore, I think that Its plausible to argue that Ganon cannot represent A Devil-like figure, becuase, while immortal, he can be wounded, unlike, apparently, Gods.
Although, I do think that, while I don't think he is representative of a devil figure or an anti godess like figure, I think he represents it on a lesser scale, like an image of evil.

So if it's not ganon(dorf) that leaves us with..?

The godesses created the triforce, and Hyrule. They have the power to bring land and life, so theoretically, a devil figure has the power to destroy Everything they created and kill everyone, if it has the chance. I seriously doubt that anything or anybody in hyrule has the power to that. Even Ganondorf couldn't have done unless he got the whole triforce.

Perhaps there is no Evil devil figure- what if all the evil that would normally be in that devil figure is spread out across the land, to people, possible random? If it was like that, that would explain why some people are evil or have bad qualities, if a little bit of hyrulian devil was in them. I imagine that if it was like that, to create a devil one would have to remove all the evil from hurle and place in a corporeal form, and that could make a hyrlian devil flesh. If you understand what i've been wall-of-text-ing about here.

CZG

That's where multiple gods come in?
You need at least three evil devils to compete with the three goddesses that created Hyrule?

Is Link creating an opportunity for evil by slaying monsters?
Link opens the door of time (for? sounds weird... so) Ganon (can enter the realm).
He didn't mean to do it I think, but that's not the point.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I don't get all this "good must be balanced by evil" nonsense. It's never been proven; people just say it because it sounds nice and makes for a good story. One counter-example from the real world I can provide off the top of my head is that, before the fall of Lucifer, there was no evil to compete with God. It was just God and the angels.

Until Nintendo gives us one, I don't think there are any evil deities in Hyrule, just evil spirits/magic/people/etc. that aren't on the same level as the goddesses.

S

Shyguyo

I don't get all this "good must be balanced by evil" nonsense. It's never been proven; people just say it because it sounds nice and makes for a good story. One counter-example from the real world I can provide off the top of my head is that, before the fall of Lucifer, there was no evil to compete with God. It was just God and the angels.

Until Nintendo gives us one, I don't think there are any evil deities in Hyrule, just evil spirits/magic/people/etc. that aren't on the same level as the goddesses.

All The Monsters and bosses could fuse together and over throw ganon and rule Hyrule (Kinda like power rangers and the megazord accept they're evil?):)

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
The ancestors of the Twili (or maybe even the Twili themselves). You know, the ones who tried to use magic to assert dominion over the Sacred Realm before the Triforce was found, and were banished to the shadows by the Goddesses? Sounds a lot like a Satan-force to me.

It may disturb Midna fans to think of her as being related to something more evil than Ganon, but... it would explain why Ganondorf was surprised that a Twili would side against him. Condescendingly saying, "So shadow has been moved by light."

Hmm... What if Midna just defeated Ganondorf because she didn't want to share power with him?

L

Linkmsg92

To be completely honest, after reading all four pages of this thread I have absolutely no clue what to think anymore. While it took me some time to read all the posts, my opinion shot back and forth from one side to the next. But pretty much overall my mind has fallen to the Goddesses being neither good nor evil. They are just a balance. Din, Nayru, and Farore all created Hyrule as well as the Triforce. Meaning they have both the power to create AND the power to destroy. So my final judgement is that there is no evil figure but there is also no pure "good" figure for an evil figure to counter part anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom