• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

An examination of all the arguments for the timeline placement of BotW and my conclusion

Is it possible that there is no timeline and Nintendo just made it up to make fans happy?

If I recall, they never wanted to make an official time line, beyond the games that are directly linked. (*snicker) We may, or may not have been better off without a time line. Though, now that we have an official time line, we are stuck with it, for better or worse. We can come up with reasons why it shouldn't be, or reasons why it's wrong, but that does not change the fact that it is. It's like trying to step over a puddle, while pretending it's not there.

If I recall, they never wanted to make an official time line, beyond the games that are directly linked.
I don't think it's that they never wanted an official timeline... more like they had never thought they needed one.
Miyamoto, Tezuka and Aonuma had all commented on their views of the timeline before the official timeline was published... so they obviously all had a timeline in mind... the problem was that didn't all agree on that, which caused various inconsistencies, and in turn caused them to realise that they needed an official timeline after all.

I don't think it's that they never wanted an official timeline... more like they had never thought they needed one.
Miyamoto, Tezuka and Aonuma had all commented on their views of the timeline before the official timeline was published... so they obviously all had a timeline in mind... the problem was that didn't all agree on that, which caused various inconsistencies, and in turn caused them to realise that they needed an official timeline after all.

I'll go along with that. My main point about it being an official part of the greater story still stands.

About that whole 4th timeline consideration thing.
It was initially believed back before HH came out that there were only 2 timelines AT and CT after OoT split. Downfall just seemed silly [still does IMO, but whatever, it's official].

The way Downfall timeline exists causes problems IMO. Why aren't there multiple downfall timelines? Why is it specifically a branch off the events of OoT [that seems rather arbitrary].
Also CT and AT start to seem arbitrary points as well [less so than downfall]. They're created by time travel in OoT.... but OoT isn't the only game time travelling happens.

The earliest example of time travel [as far as the timeline is concerned] is the earliest game in the series, SS. Link travels through time multiple times in skyward sword in the desert. But ignoring the desert he also goes into the temple of time, as does Zelda and results in a timeline where both the goddess sword and master sword [the same sword] exist. But, that timeline that was abandoned can't be the one where BotW takes place because that timeline would have neither the goddess sword [to become the master sword] nor the master sword. So, okay, that's ruled out.

There's also OoA where link travels through time quite a bit. Shrug.... BotW is intentionally confusing with it's timeline placement.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The way Downfall timeline exists causes problems IMO. Why aren't there multiple downfall timelines? Why is it specifically a branch off the events of OoT [that seems rather arbitrary].
Also CT and AT start to seem arbitrary points as well [less so than downfall]. They're created by time travel in OoT.... but OoT isn't the only game time travelling happens.
It certainly can be confusing. Mutiple Histories is the theoretical concept we must use to explain the Downfall Timeline. It's possible Link could fail in his quest and Ganon could get the Triforce. However, any incarnation of Link can fail. So you're correct, there would be downfall branches spanning from every single canon Zelda game.

About that whole 4th timeline consideration thing.
It was initially believed back before HH came out that there were only 2 timelines AT and CT after OoT split. Downfall just seemed silly [still does IMO, but whatever, it's official].

The earliest example of time travel [as far as the timeline is concerned] is the earliest game in the series, SS. Link travels through time multiple times in skyward sword in the desert. But ignoring the desert he also goes into the temple of time, as does Zelda and results in a timeline where both the goddess sword and master sword [the same sword] exist. But, that timeline that was abandoned can't be the one where BotW takes place because that timeline would have neither the goddess sword [to become the master sword] nor the master sword. So, okay, that's ruled out.

There's also OoA where link travels through time quite a bit. Shrug.... BotW is intentionally confusing with it's timeline placement.

Yeah it would have better if the DT was given a more elaborate explanation for occurring rather than implying Link was defeated during the final battle.I've seen some theories here and there, but none really have any solid ground against such a specific implication in HH.

Just because there are multiple times Link travels through time doesn't mean there will be multiple splits. The split at the OoT, I believe, happens because of Zelda's involvement; another unintentional mistake on her part. I mentioned in another thread it is my belief her playing Zelda's Lullaby initiates the split while attempting to get Link back live out his life as a kid.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Really every game has its own downfall timeline, but the reason only one comes from OoT is because it was the first game to have time travel, so it seems like the best for having such alternate timelines. Of course later games also had time travel aspects, but that would just make the timeline even more of a mess.

The way I rationalise it is that while every game does have it's own downfall timeline (potentially multiple ones depending on when or how Link dies), in those timelines the Legend of Zelda comes to an end... no more Links and/or Zeldas can be born, so there's no more story to tell... hence no games have been set in those timelines.
OoT's downfall timeline was different... Ganondorf defeated Link, but they were still able to seal Ganon away without Link... Zelda survived to continue her bloodline so the Legend of Zelda could continue within that timeline.
The Wind Waker timeline actually appears to be a downfall timeline as well... the backstory of Wind Waker is somewhat vague, but we can assume that there actctually was a Link in the time leading up to the Great Flood but he died at some point during his quest, so wasn't there to face Ganon when he was needed... but as with the OoT downfall timeline, they were able to seal Ganon away without him, allowing the Legend of Zelda to continue. This is also why I think this would be the most likely location for another timeline split.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The way I rationalise it is that while every game does have it's own downfall timeline (potentially multiple ones depending on when or how Link dies), in those timelines the Legend of Zelda comes to an end... no more Links and/or Zeldas can be born, so there's no more story to tell... hence no games have been set in those timelines.
OoT's downfall timeline was different... Ganondorf defeated Link, but they were still able to seal Ganon away without Link... Zelda survived to continue her bloodline so the Legend of Zelda could continue within that timeline.
The Wind Waker timeline actually appears to be a downfall timeline as well... the backstory of Wind Waker is somewhat vague, but we can assume that there actctually was a Link in the time leading up to the Great Flood but he died at some point during his quest, so wasn't there to face Ganon when he was needed... but as with the OoT downfall timeline, they were able to seal Ganon away without him, allowing the Legend of Zelda to continue. This is also why I think this would be the most likely location for another timeline split.
I wouldn't say that's true. Demise's Hate Curse is eternal. The Spirit of the Hero, the bloodline of the Goddess, and the reincarnations of Demise's hatred are trapped in an endless cycle. The legend can never end, essentially.

I wouldn't say that's true. Demise's Hate Curse is eternal. The Spirit of the Hero, the bloodline of the Goddess, and the reincarnations of Demise's hatred are trapped in an endless cycle. The legend can never end, essentially.
Demise's curse and the spirit of the Hero are intangible things that cannot be destroyed... but the bloodline of the Goddess is not... it can be destroyed... and as the Zelda name is passed down along the bloodline, then that (and the Legend of Zelda with it) will end when the bloodline is destroyed.
Hylia's sacrifice does mean she should be reincarnated with or without the presence of the royal bloodline, but that would be a reincarnation of Hylia, not Zelda... so if they were to continue any stories within the other downfall timelines, they would logically be the Legend of Hylia instead.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Demise's curse and the spirit of the Hero are intangible things that cannot be destroyed... but the bloodline of the Goddess is not... it can be destroyed... and as the Zelda name is passed down along the bloodline, then that (and the Legend of Zelda with it) will end when the bloodline is destroyed.
Hylia's sacrifice does mean she should be reincarnated with or without the presence of the royal bloodline, but that would be a reincarnation of Hylia, not Zelda... so if they were to continue any stories within the other downfall timelines, they would logically be the Legend of Hylia instead.
I do agree that the bloodline can potentially be destroyed. In fact I'd assume it could be destroyed eventually simply by it being mingled with mortal blood, causing it to lose its purity. But let's keep in mind that on some aspect the association between Hylia and Zelda must be intangible as well. Zelda is seemingly being reincarinated.

Here's My Idea:

It Takes place in a Converged Timeline; somewhere 10,000 years after Ocarina Of Time; all three timelines will converge into 1 Unified Timeline[Why Else are there Koroks & Rito from the Adult Timeline at the same time as Zoras & The Twilight Stone from the Child Timeline; and Lynels from the Fallen Hero Timeline; this is the ONLY Game in the franchise that has all of these elements from each timeline in the same Game]

Here's My Idea:

It Takes place in a Converged Timeline; somewhere 10,000 years after Ocarina Of Time;

How does that even work, when Hyrule is gone in the AT and still in existence in the other two timelines, Ganon is gone in the AT and constantly reappearing in the DT and reborn as a new guy entirely in the CT? Why doesn't BotW even mention anything about a big convergence event?

Why Else are there Koroks & Rito from the Adult Timeline

There's a Korok painting in Link's house in ALBW, suggesting they exist on the DT, not to mention that the Rito in BotW are different in BotW than in TWW, with the children even having wings, and TWW Rito being humans with wings, and children having to earn a scale from Valoo, meaning that they aren't probably the same species of Rito(such as Ocean Zora and River Zora).

The Twilight Stone from the Child Timeline

What ''Twilight Stone'' are you talking about?

and Lynels from the Fallen Hero Timeline

Enemies aren't the best indicators of timeline placement; Octoroks didn't appear in TP, but they appeared in FSA, for example.

this is the ONLY Game in the franchise that has all of these elements from each timeline in the same Game

These elements were never confirmed to be exclusive to a timeline branch.

Hey, I was thinking if the official timeline only had one correct path to follow and all LoZ games fall under, which is the child era. why I say this is because there is so much evidence that Nintendo's timeline doesn't work with this. They just took important characters and races from different timelines and stuck it into one big game. Just and Idea, please tell me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom