• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread Amazing Fantasy: A Spider-Man Mafia Prequel [NIGHT 10--HIATUS]

Spider-Man

Mafia Account
Mafia Account
As Spidey soaks Electro he looks around. He sees the people injured in the water.
"Oh no! Is there anyone around that can call for help, and maybe CHEER US ON?"
Spidey thwips the people out of the water and lays them down in a safe spot on some grass. A civilian who was running by, pulls out his phone. "I got you Spidey! I'm on with the police now! An ambulance is on the way!"
"Thank you Mr.Townie! Now get out of here!".
Spiderman turns around just in time to see that he has finally gotten Storms attention.
"Hey Flame, why don't we switch for a bit? I feel like I can take this guy pretty easily"
Spidey slips into his Rubber Gloves (that he obviously engineered to not get in the way of his webs!).

The fights timer has expired (it expired somewhere around 4 AM Eastern Time). An admirable effort from those involved. I'll be along to post the tally of points and conclusion shortly.

Also, there's been some request for me to step in to moderate conduct. Storm has been found in breach of Rule 1.2 and has been talked to. I don't really want to get into it more than that.

Posting from my phone so apologies for the lack of usual flair.

Wow Andjalo. Impressive display. You scored the maximum amount of points possible from the 9 fight posts you made in the alloted time, proving that truly none are superior to doctor octopus. That's 27 points for you.

Unfortunately your ally Storm only brought a measly 4 points to the table.

Total for your team is 31.

Gimme a second to tally your opponents points now...

DRAMA! SUSPENSE!

before the results are tabulated, I wanted to thank my opponents for the great bout, Torch definitely set a pace of allowing every player to feel like a super-something which I benchmarked my style on

Wow Andjalo. Impressive display. You scored the maximum amount of points possible from the 9 fight posts you made in the alloted time, proving that truly none are superior to doctor octopus. That's 27 points for you.
was hoping so, I used all of my A material!

Before I reveal the winners, someone has asked me to make fights longer because a random amount of time between 9 and 24 hours just isn't enough to interact much with your opponent when you also throw in the demands of everyday life. Fair.

I'll point out that the rules do not need to require you to have a satisfying go-between with your opponent, because some opponents might go M.I.A. and just not post. Plus there are timezones to consider; you might live in North America while your opponent might live in Australia, so a back-and-forth may not be possible. You do not need to wait for your opponent to respond to your post before posting again (that's why you have individual posting limits rather than total fight posting limits). In fact, waiting for your opponent gives them more agency over your final score; some players may take advantage of that by dragging out the time between posts when they think they are already in the lead because not everyone is going to "play fair" in a competitive game.

From a game design perspective, I need Fights to be QUICK SCRAPS rather than drawn-out affairs because ultimately you have to remember a Fight is basically just one in-game action. I can't have that dominate an entire Day.

I'll do two things.
  1. I am going to extend the fight time limits by a flat 6 hours each, and
  2. I'll explain exactly how the time limits are randomly determined.
Beyond that, you're on your own to figure out how to work within those constraints.

From now on (as in, past fights--including the most recent one--don't benefit from this) I'm adding a flat 6 hours to fights, so they'll last between 15 and 30 hours.

Fight time limits are determined by rolling 4d6 and dropping the lowest die, then adding a flat 6 12 to the total, producing a random number between 15 and 30 that skews towards the higher end because of dropping the lowest die.

That time limit starts the minute all identified fighters have shown they are aware they are in a Fight.

Now on the subject of "power gaming" or "god-modding" or whatever y'all called it... Look, Storm tried it a whole bunch, saying things like "I go inside the Torch's central nervous system and short circuit his brain," and some of you thought I should step in and tell him to quit it and play fair. Well, he only got 4 points for his 4 posts (and you get 1 point per post you make, so he really got 0 points for style), and that to me feels like disincentive enough from pulling **** like that. You don't win fights by authoring a post in which you just violently decimate your opponent. What is this, the DragonBall Z roleplaying game? No. Like Andjalo said, this is basically improv and you leave your opponent no room to "yes, and" when you do that. But as far as trying to use my mod influence to force people to improv fairly? Listen, this ain't whose line is it anyways... The points do matter. If someone wants to throw away their points by pulling **** like that, I say let 'em.

Endrant.

And now onto the victors and their spoils...

•••••

The Human Torch made 10 fight posts and scored an impressive 24 points (of a possible 30) from them. Not quite as impressive as Doc Ock (who got more points with fewer posts) but still a strong turn nonetheless.

Let's see how your ally fared...

In only 4 posts Spider-Man scored... 9 points.

That puts them to 33, making Spider-Man and The Human Torch the winning team. Barely.

v641Ked.jpg

There's no question that one-on-one, Doc Ock would have beaten either of them... Guess Andjalo should form a stronger team next time............. :eyes: :whistle:

Spidey & Torch, you can decide to have both of them be immediately Arrested.

...Or you can Arrest one of them, letting the other escape, in order to focus on subverting their evil supervillain plans. Electro's Light the Night and Doc Ock's Illegal Nuclear Experiments would both suffer setbacks.

(Of course, maybe you'll decide that arresting them both might be the biggest setback...)

The choice is yours.

Last edited:

The Human Torch

Mafia Account
Mafia Account
before the results are tabulated, I wanted to thank my opponents for the great bout, Torch definitely set a pace of allowing every player to feel like a super-something which I benchmarked my style on
That bout was a closer match than I thought it would be going in. It really felt like I was fighting Doc Ock. Thank you for the fun!

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
For what it's worth, Storm's threshold should be 1 lower today, so Andjalo is probably the harder to arrest of the two assuming a typical threshold is possible today for both of them.

Setting back their doom clocks might be beneficial considering Storm is 2 nights away from doomsday. That said, arresting both of them could also be pretty helpful if you can keep them there.

Ultimately you guys are in the best position to decide, though. The paper will have slightly more info on Doc Ock when it comes out.

The Human Torch

Mafia Account
Mafia Account
From my limited perspective, without a clear target to go after next, it would seem to be an optimal play to jail Andjalo, allowing both plans to suffer setbacks, and then vote out Storm. Might the paper have anything that you feel would influence this decision?

That said, arresting both of them could also be pretty helpful if you can keep them there.
If anyone else can help the heroes ensure that, it might be a good time to find a way to let them know...

Shame nobody with such an ability has sent an anonymous letter to the editor of the bugle advertising to the heroes something like "hey if you can put supervillains behind bars, I can do my part to keep them there."

Oh well. :whistle:

The Human Torch

Mafia Account
Mafia Account
If anyone else can help the heroes ensure that, it might be a good time to find a way to let them know...

Shame nobody with such an ability has sent an anonymous letter to the editor of the bugle advertising to the heroes something like "hey if you can put supervillains behind bars, I can do my part to keep them there."

Oh well. :whistle:
I would greatly appreciate learning anything of this nature... I have limited capacity to deal with this area, and it has been a growing personal concern.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
godmodding doesn't really matter in a contest where they winner is the person who writes the best/posts the most, not the person who comes up with a way to win the fight in-character. I guess it might make it more awkward for your opponent to respond to you and indirectly lower the quality of their writing but i can't imagine thats a great strategy

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
freddeh can double supervillain's bails and although i'd rather spend my night actions on other things, i could technically steal money from supervillains to make it harder for them to make bail. I imagine the game collectively has access to another half dozen ways to make it harder for villains to break out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom