• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Allegorical/Symbolic Story Elements in Cave Story

This thread is spoiler-tastic if it kicks off, so anyone who hasn't beaten/played Cave Story, don't say I didn't warn you. Also, before joining the discussion, be sure that you are prepared to back up your arguments, and have some basic knowledge of government, empires, dictatorships, and if we get deep enough, religion.

After beating Cave Story for the first time, the depth came from the 4 deaths I saw (Doctor Booster, King, Curly, and Toroko.) Even then, I didn't take out a whole lot. I played it a second time, analyzing all of the story elements, and wow, I found a whole lot of stuff. I'd like to kick off with the biggest allegory I found.

The Doctor and his Empire- The Doctor and his rising to power are allegorical to just about every form of government; the Doctor's power from the Demon Crown is magic, essentially making him a charismatically chosen leader. The magic can be debated as similar to Hitler's overly charismatic speeches (both brainwashed natives), and his extermination of those who question him can be compared to, oh, just about every Bolshevik of the USSR, specifically Stalin, who even murdered those who did not really oppose him, which is similar to the incarceration of the fat mimiga, who probably didn't care much for the Doctor, since he didn't react as much as any other character.

The Doctor's discovery of the Red Leaves and it's ability to turn Mimigas into weapons of death can be easily compared to the atomic bomb's discovery during late World War 2, and his intentions to attack the surface with the powered up Mimigas can be compared to both the US invasion of Afghanistan or bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (weapons of death used on relatively primitive lands.)

Additionally, the use of Mimigas on plantations can be compared to the Confederate States using black slaves. Look at it:
The Doctor/CS forced Mimigas/blacks to work for their benefits(Red Leaves/farm crops for trade) on plantations, and those who questioned the Doctor/CS were beaten/imprisoned.
It's a formula that has interchangeable variables that neither topic (Confederate/Doctorate slavery) can't relate with.

Speaking of plantations, on the actual plantation in Cave Story, you're unable to talk to the mimigas for having human qualities (ala the Soviet civillians not tolerating the differentiation of social classes.)

So, what did you guys find while analyzing Cave Story? (If you did)

Last edited:

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
This is a very interesting article, and I rather enjoy it, but I must disagree with you on the representation of the red flowers. If you look back in history, red flowers occur elsewhere: the British selling red poppy opium to the Chinese during the 1800's. This drug was devastating to the chinese population: it made them "crazy". Men who were considered punctual and always showed up for their jobs would neglect them and even their families to sleep for hours in opium dens. After a while of this, China outlawed the opium, and made enemies with the british. This, paired with the natural color of opium poppies, makes me believe that the "red flowers" are actually representative of Poppies. Good article, though. I'm glad you enjoyed such a beautifully made game!

This is a very interesting article, and I rather enjoy it, but I must disagree with you on the representation of the red flowers. If you look back in history, red flowers occur elsewhere: the British selling red poppy opium to the Chinese during the 1800's. This drug was devastating to the chinese population: it made them "crazy". Men who were considered punctual and always showed up for their jobs would neglect them and even their families to sleep for hours in opium dens. After a while of this, China outlawed the opium, and made enemies with the british. This, paired with the natural color of opium poppies, makes me believe that the "red flowers" are actually representative of Poppies. Good article, though. I'm glad you enjoyed such a beautifully made game!

Well, you've helped me remember something. Very good point, though I don't think that weapons of death qualifies as allegorical to drugs (maybe steroids, though). Also, the mimigas didn't kick the Doctor out after the use of Red Flowers as the Chinese did. Those two are the flaws I find in your argument, yet it's still a good point. I invite others to point out more flaws in my arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom