• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ALBW: is the art style a missed opportunity?

The 3DS is a powerful console, it runs OOT and MM like a dream and the like of Monster Hunter 4 look and feel great, a lot can be done with the 3DS, it never ceases to impress me...

That being said, ALBW looks lackluster to me. Its a fine game (though i have my fair share of complaints about it) and its a fun experience but it just doesn't look right... is it just me?

I mean, look at Minish Cap on GBA, it has a distinct style, PH and ST do well with the hardware they were on to recreate the WW style. But ALBW looks as if it lacks any kind of soul, it just looks generic to me... on a console that can do so much, and from a company with a highly stylised approach to the Zelda series i cant help but be disappointed in how ALBW looks... It could have been cel-shaded, it could have had more detailed character models... but it just didn't...

What does everyone else think? Could ALBW have looked prettier? (some environments did look good, its mostly the character models i have a problem with)

Also, does ALBW's Link look French to anyone else?

Well, I think they were trying to capture the look and feel of ALttP. True, it wasn't eye-popping and unique, but I think it looked good. The 3D effects were nice.

Sheik

:the:
I would agree that it definitely didn't push the 3DS to its limits.

It's 60 FPS frame rate is very nice, though.

Would've been nice if the art was better but I enjoyed it mysef. It's a change-up from previous games. Nintendo probably wanted to try something new too.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
ALBW was the only Zelda game since Wind Waker with no cel-shading, making it stand out as more dull but down-to-earth in comparison.

TWW, TP, PH, ST and SS all had cel-shading in their overall art styles

Salem

SICK
They prioritised the 60FPS over the graphics, so that might be why where the graphics suffered, I don't mind this at all.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I personally thought ALBW's art style was very nice, more detailed and IMO prettier than at least the DS titles that came before it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The 3DS is a powerful console, it runs OOT and MM like a dream and the like of Monster Hunter 4 look and feel great, a lot can be done with the 3DS, it never ceases to impress me...

That being said, ALBW looks lackluster to me. Its a fine game (though i have my fair share of complaints about it) and its a fun experience but it just doesn't look right... is it just me?

I mean, look at Minish Cap on GBA, it has a distinct style, PH and ST do well with the hardware they were on to recreate the WW style. But ALBW looks as if it lacks any kind of soul, it just looks generic to me... on a console that can do so much, and from a company with a highly stylised approach to the Zelda series i cant help but be disappointed in how ALBW looks... It could have been cel-shaded, it could have had more detailed character models... but it just didn't...

What does everyone else think? Could ALBW have looked prettier? (some environments did look good, its mostly the character models i have a problem with)

Also, does ALBW's Link look French to anyone else?

It plays great but honestly it looks like someone chundered up the graphics it is a really horrible looking game.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I feel like one of the few people that actually likes ALBW's artstyle.

I will admit, it's nothing special, but it doesn't need to be. It may not be played in a 3D perspective, but it sure takes advantage of the 3D feature the 3DS is known for. It looks and feels like the game it's based on, which is fitting. I honestly can't imagine playing a sequel to ALttP without it being in the top-down perspective, it just wouldn't be the same. Also, the graphics are toon-like, which is good, because it's not a very dark game, and the artstyle goes well with the story and mechanics of the game. I like it a lot, the game looks fantastic.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I feel like one of the few people that actually likes ALBW's artstyle.

I will admit, it's nothing special, but it doesn't need to be. It may not be played in a 3D perspective, but it sure takes advantage of the 3D feature the 3DS is known for. It looks and feels like the game it's based on, which is fitting. I honestly can't imagine playing a sequel to ALttP without it being in the top-down perspective, it just wouldn't be the same. Also, the graphics are toon-like, which is good, because it's not a very dark game, and the artstyle goes well with the story and mechanics of the game. I like it a lot, the game looks fantastic.

Your not the only one who likes it. I too am surprised it's getting all the criticism it is. It isn't the best art style by a long shot but it's by no means a bad art style especially considering it's relation to ALTTP.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I like it too. It's not spectaculair or standing out but that's fine. The game itself is very enjoyable and I think they did the best they could with it. Every game has flaws. Whether it is the gameplay itself or the graphics. No game is perfect but I like the art style and I don't think it is a missed opportunity at all.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
"Missed Opportunity" is kind of harsh. Considering it was based off of ALttP, I think the old school, simple look about the game is very fitting. No the graphics were not amazing, But the game itself played like a dream. The frame rate was great, just spam the sword for a second and you can tell the frame rate is just....awesome. The fact that it wasnt 3d hit with me, cuz im a fan of classic Zelda. In the end i guess, though the game didnt "look" like much, the gameplay was top-notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom