• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Adult Timeline: Sages?

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
At the end of Ocarina of Time we all know there is a split in the timeline. With no Link in the future where Ganondorf was sealed it shows the Sages in control at the end of the game while Link lives out his childhood. What I find interesting is whatever happened to the sages once Ganondorf broke free of the seal and wrecked havoc all over Hyrule, thus starting the events of Wind Waker? Do you guys think that they all fought back but ultimately lost their lives to Ganondorf's wicked power? This really puzzles me as Im in the basement of Hyrule Castle in Wind Waker right now looking at the stained glass windows and this idea just sparked in my head. I would love to know what you guys think about this! :)

You mean before the flood?
I don't think it would be the same sages, probably their decedents at the time of the flood but there is no real way of knowing we don't know how long after OoT is happened. I would assume that whatever sages were there probably did die or maybe sacrificed themselves to bring the flood idk

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I'm assuming they just grew old and died. While TP's "Ancient Sages" don't seem to die naturally, we get the impression from several other games (OoT, LttP, FSA, WW) that there is a lineage of Sages. By the time of the flood, they would have died (this is generations after OoT, says Daphnes), and Laruto and Fado were Sages. They directly state what happened to them when Ganondorf broke free:
Laruto said:
After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of
Time, Ganondorf was sealed away...but not
for all time. He was revived, and he
returned to Hyrule in a red wrath.
He attacked this temple and stole my soul,
knowing that he had to remove the power
contained in that enchanted blade.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I see...I do understand that Wind Waker does take place generations after the great flood and it wouldnt really be possible for the sages of OoT to battle Ganondorf without the power of the Hero of Time. I just find it weird that the sages went from being 6 in number to 2 :S. And couldnt the sages just use magic to help them live on? Im pretty sure Daphnes was the King of Hyrule at that time when Hyrule was flooded and he's still alive (that is until the end of Wind Waker).

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
At the end of Ocarina of Time we all know there is a split in the timeline. With no Link in the future where Ganondorf was sealed it shows the Sages in control at the end of the game while Link lives out his childhood. What I find interesting is whatever happened to the sages once Ganondorf broke free of the seal and wrecked havoc all over Hyrule, thus starting the events of Wind Waker? Do you guys think that they all fought back but ultimately lost their lives to Ganondorf's wicked power? This really puzzles me as Im in the basement of Hyrule Castle in Wind Waker right now looking at the stained glass windows and this idea just sparked in my head. I would love to know what you guys think about this! :)

Well in WW it is known through the story that Laruto,the sage of earth, and Fado, the sage of wind, were killed once Ganondorf broke out of the Sacred Realm. They are the protectors of the Master sword and its ability to banish evil. Thus it is easily understandable that when they were killed that the Master Sword would lose its power. The question though is are they proteges of the OOT sages or are they a complete different set of sages. Now in OOT their are the sages of Light, Forest, Water, Fire, Shadow, Spirit, and the leader of the sages. It can be seen that these aren't the same sages as in WW through looks and names. Now, I theorize that the sages of OOT are based off the land and the condition of the land, because each sage comes from a land that has a certain characteristic similar to the sage they become. For an example Darunia is the Sage of Fire and he comes from a volcano. So, going by this theory if the land changed so would the needed types of sage based on the condition of the land. So, the names of the sages would change along with their influence on the land along with the denominations they come from. Thus, with the Great Flood two different types of sages would be created to fill the need of a protector over these elements. Now either these sages were added on to the end of the sages creating 9 sages or they replaced former sages. Heres the hook I've found with this theory: only 2 sages appear in WW. This can be easily explained but not completely proven. It is most likely that only the two sages appear because their 2 elements have become so influential over the world. Wind takes up most of the world above the sea and allows for these far away islands to interact and trade and Earth which due to the flood has become scarce as water takes over most of the map. Earth as a commodity becomes more valuable thus giving it more influence as people don't take it for granted. The other 7 or 5 sages most likely are within the world but since they are never called upon, or killed there is no need for them to appear. So, all in all what I'm saying is that they most likely didn't appear within the game is, because they weren't called upon and only the ones that were killed needed to be seen since they needed to have a successor.

Heres another thing to go along with this debate. Why did Ganon kill the sages of earth, and wind specifically or was it random? Based on my theory I don't think it was random. If the sages are the protectors of the Sacred Realm and the Master Sword (at least in OOT) is a kind of key leading to the Sacred Realm. Then it can be inferred that the sages probably have some kind of connection to the Master Sword. So, if the Sages have some kind of connection with the Master Sword then with their deaths the connection could weaken the power of the Master Sword. He may have gone after these two sages because of the impending flood thinking they might have more power over the Master Sword.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The Sages of Earth and Wind were around before the flood.

I'd like to mention that there were originally supposed to be two additional dungeons, but they were removed because the game was too big already. Could these have been associated with two additional Sages?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom