• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Achievement Based Rewards

Achievements are fun in video games for the most part (unless you're not online and can't get half of them done)...

So i've come up with the idea of in game achievements, these wouldn't be the xbox style achievements for gamers points etc, rather they'd be in game and your performance in the game would dictate some rewards for Link...

for example, you're looking for heart pieces; usually we'd find them scattered around the overworld, but what if one or two were based on requirements? Such as defeating 50 enemies in the surrounding area, so many jumps with epona or arrows fired? and thus when the requirements are met the chest appears?

Would you like such a system?
Would it impeded too much on exploration and other Zelda tropes?

I think it would but if it were ingenious enough i doubt the exploration/skill levels in Zelda would be stepped on.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes, include this system in full force...but have them also unlock things like different colors for tunics, maybe a cow in the house, you know little easter eggs. Changing the heart piece convention would hurt too many fans' bottoms - including mine. So doing achievements would ideally award rupees, tokens, and easter eggs/cosmetics.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Sounds a little pointless. And I don't expect it since Nintendo is fond of competition.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I actually really like the achievement system seen on the Xbox 360, it adds a new dimension to gameplay and it can increase the life span of a game and it's replay value. I was hoping that the Wii U would follow suit with the Xbox and PS3 and some sort of reward system, I mean at the end of the day it is all harmless fun. I can mind of see why they didn't go with it due to some competitive nature and it encouraging hacking but whether it's just having the bragging rights or that sense of reward, the achievement system is a largely successful system and I'm kind of disappointed that we never got to see it.

However who knows maybe we might see it, I really doubt a Zelda a game will run with this idea but it could certainly help with that specific game. For example a game like Call of Duty, in my opinion the story is a very bland mode however with the addition of achievements it actually adds a sense of depth and a more challenging and competitive nature into the game. With the likes of Call of Duty 4 and World at War I constantly found myself trying to complete all the achievements, even though I didn't care that much for the main story mode. I used this as an example as it took what I my opinion was a story mode with very little depth and expanded upon it, made it more fun, more competitive, challenging and implemented more skill. There have also been many games on the Xbox/PS3 that have had very unique achievements that can be really hard to attain.

If a Zelda game where to implement this sort of system it might have to adapt and add more depth to the overworld itself, more hidden places, certain easter eggs, challenges, optional strategies or ways of doing things and so on. This could add certainly increase or raise the bar in terms of challenge and it could also add a little thing called "skill" which is very, very rare in the modern Zelda series. I'm not sure about the achievements giving you I game items and rewards, I mean just the sense of personal achievement or bragging rights is enough in my opinion.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I Love it, i am what you call a Trophy H**e (sorry PS3 Player), i wouldnt quit playin the first darksiders till i finally got every trophy, did the same with darksiders two, i wont lie i played it a lot more cuz i hadn't received those Trophies yet. I dont think it would be bad in a Zelda game, in fact i love it.

but i also know for a fact and if i searched hard enough could prove it but Nintendo has already claimed "they have never thoughts to put a Trophy/Achievement system on one of their systems, and never will do it". but who knows maybe some faces will change authority positions, or some may just get with the times and realize how fun they are and add them too the Wii U. But i doubt it!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
It's an idea that could be good, but I'm not too for it being for heart-pieces. It really through me off when I donated to the guy in TP's castle town only to receive nothing in return. Only later did I realize you had to donate a thousand rupees to get the heart-piece. However, I'm all for that easter egg idea. Would loved to get rewarded like that.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
what if one or two were based on requirements? Such as defeating 50 enemies in the surrounding area, so many jumps with epona or arrows fired? and thus when the requirements are met the chest appears?

Well, some Pieces Of Hearts are already like that. But I'd like to see some achievements in the style of Minecraft.

Getting Woods unlocks Benchmarking, which unlocks Time To Mine!, TTM unlocks Hot Topic, Topic unlocks Acquire Hardware. Time To Mine also unlocks Getting An Upgrade. These all branch off until you get to The End.
AchievementInterface.png

It would be nice to see this more in Zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom