• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

About Gobli's Story Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
So, if you've read my recent blog updates, you know about the writing contest I want to host. Over the passing days more than six people showed interest in it, and so we now have enough to begin with the first contest, but before we get to that, there are things we need to discuss concerning prizes and how the voting will be done. Just to have everyone that will be participating satisfied.

I should deal with those things, as I am the host, but I thought giving you peeps the chance to discuss this was a good idea. So, if you have any ideas as to how we could pick a winner (voting) and also the prizes involved, discuss that here.

Now I will let you all know what I think about those two things. Back in the day when I hosted the writing contest, we chose a winner by voting secretly and by pm. That meant that peeps who chose to vote picked one of the stories and pmed their vote to me, then I would announce the winner. I also allowed participants to vote, but they could not pick their own story, so if we do this, the same rule would apply. Voting from participants is not mandatory, btw. If we go with posting the stories with a voting poll, that could work, but know now that not many peeps pay attention to that. When I joined the official ZD writing competition, I noticed that not many peeps voted. So, I kind of lean on my way for this, however, discuss if you have some other way.

As to the prizes. I think for now I will simply award a orange kitty to the winner, or some other gift from the shop that is not too expensive. That is, unless we think of something else. Also, if I can make a cute little button, like a Gobli emblem or something, the winner will get one as well. :cool:

I really want to take over the ZD official Writing Competition, but the staff has not spoken to me since I contacted them a month or something ago. So, this is my competition, and as such, I only have those means to award prizes at the moment. However, don't be discouraged, as once I land a job and start making money, I like offering card points, like for the Nintendo Eshop, to the winners. I like to make competitions worthwhile and offering that kind of prize doesn't bother me in the least if I can afford it. :P I know that as long as the competition keeps going, the prizes will only get better in the future. Other prizes, or privileges that the winner will have is to choose the next story idea, but we'll see about that.

If you have ideas about prizes, discuss them here.

And now we get to the word limit. For now, I think 500 words is enough, however, if your story is longer than that, don't hesitate to write it. 500 is the limit, not the maximum. There is no maximum word count, really, but don't submit a novel either. XD

If you have anything to say about the word limit, then discuss that here too.

I think that's all I wanted to cover before I post the first contest later tonight or early tomorrow. And you can join if you haven't, but you have to make it official by joining here in this thread, or pm or vm me so I can be aware of it. The competition is open to everyone, doesn't matter if you have experience writing or not. If you have anything to say concerning the competition, this is the thread to do it. ~Gobli

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I see. Well hey, Inbox space is not a factor; I have plenty of space. And even if I didn't, I'd buy the 300 pm capacity, which I probably will. :cool:

But whichever method you all prefer is fine by me. Just make sure you all agree to it. :)

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
A regular poll should be fine. I don't believe anyone on ZD is enough of a stuck-up to vote for themselves. As for the reward, you could get a small graphic made for the winner. I think that is what was used in the first Golden Key Awards. I think the minimum word count is fine, or at least for me.

Just one question: are all writing formats an option, like poems and dramas, or does it have to go by the usual narrative style (i.e. intro, setting, dialogue, paragraphs...)?

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
A regular poll should be fine. I don't believe anyone on ZD is enough of a stuck-up to vote for themselves. As for the reward, you could get a small graphic made for the winner. I think that is what was used in the first Golden Key Awards. I think the minimum word count is fine, or at least for me.

Just one question: are all writing formats an option, like poems and dramas, or does it have to go by the usual narrative style (i.e. intro, setting, dialogue, paragraphs...)?
But then I fear for something, FVsI. I mean peeps can just go in and vote and do a mess by voting for someone they like, or a submission they pick. What I mean to say is, you don't know what goes on via Skype and all that crap; I am saying some members could be up to no good and then just ruin it for us. So like I said, I think if we go with my version of voting, it would be for the best, but that is just me. It would be best since I will keep track of who voted for who, you know? That should be very fair. Still, though, I am interested in hearing what the others think.

As to your question. It really doesn't matter, writing is writing, so long as you give us something to read. Just know that in all fairness, I think people will vote for what they truly like, so even if a poem or drama (whatever that is) goes up against a normal story, the outcome will be the same: one winner.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
So you don't want people outside the contest to vote? The official ZD contests allow it, and there's no problem there...

But it really is up to you, I wouldn't mind the PMing vote system.
No, I do. I just fear that people who don't see me too well here will pull off something funny. :P But I guess we can go with a public poll and see where that goes. If it doesn't give us a winner, then for the next time, if there is a next time, lol, we do it my way. XD

Where do we post a story once we write one?
You will write your story and show it to no one but me. (I feel so special) This means once you finish writing your story, you will pm it to me and I will take care of setting them up for peeps to read and vote on. I will post the first contest here in a bit since I don't see many of you have problems about the prizes or other stuff. :cool: If you do, now is the time to talk.

Suggestion: Make the polls public. If you want an exclusivist poll, you can only count the votes from members who are entered.
That's what we'll try. :nod:

Oh, and we have another person interested, if I still haven't mentioned that: Dr Horrible. I will post of list of peeps who signed up in the Story Contest thread.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yeah a sign up thread would be a good thing. I advice when you start a new round ask the members who want to participate to pm you and then -do you have a dealine for sign ups?- post them in a thread. That way it is easier for you to get track on people who signed up and who have not send you their entries in time. I did it for a while with my competition. But it is completely up to you though ;)

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Yeah a sign up thread would be a good thing. I advice when you start a new round ask the members who want to participate to pm you and then -do you have a dealine for sign ups?- post them in a thread. That way it is easier for you to get track on people who signed up and who have not send you their entries in time. I did it for a while with my competition. But it is completely up to you though ;)

Yeah, should keep things organized. Maybe for round 2. Btw, this has nothing to do with the thread, but you're good at graphics. Do you think you could make a small button for this competition? Kinda like what you did for me for the Gobli Invitational, except smaller. If so, just pm or vm and we can talk about it.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Just a quick thought on the voting stage of the competition: If you are really that concerned about members abusing the poll voting due to who the creator a particular story is, why not anonymise the stories when they are posted. That way all we read is

"Entry 1:
Entry 2:" etc

and then the poll could be created the same way instead of using the username of the person who created the story. Of course, keep the voting public so that you can see if someone has voted for themselves.

Don't know if that'll be too much extra work but it was just a passing thought...

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Just a quick thought on the voting stage of the competition: If you are really that concerned about members abusing the poll voting due to who the creator a particular story is, why not anonymise the stories when they are posted. That way all we read is

"Entry 1:
Entry 2:" etc

and then the poll could be created the same way instead of using the username of the person who created the story. Of course, keep the voting public so that you can see if someone has voted for themselves.

Don't know if that'll be too much extra work but it was just a passing thought...

Yes, I never post the creator of the story until there is a winner. I will post the stories randomly one after the other without mentioning who wrote it, which in my opinion, was a mistake done by whoever ran the ZD official story writing competition. That's a no-no, because members and their stories are easily identified, and people tend to vote for their friends. This I know, believe me. So, we're gonna try that one time, and if it goes well, and if there is another contest, we do it again. But if not too many peeps vote, then it will be my way. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom