• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A ZD Timeline Project

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
I believe you're talking about this quote:

Bill Trinen said:
“This game takes you really, really deep into Hylian lore , and you could almost look at it as the story of how Link gets his cap.”

Not exactly concrete evidence. He even uses "almost" in describing the hat's origins.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
Distance is irrelevant. The size of one square in WW is the size of OoT's Hyrule Field. You can't argue distance. And no one ever said Dragon Roost Island was supposed to be Death Mountain. That is speculation, not a fact.

What I was trying to say was that won't they need to be near each other im not saying Dragon Roost is death Mountain im sayin that they will probably be near each other so if that is found then these other theories can be proven.

What I was trying to say was that won't they need to be near each other im not saying Dragon Roost is death Mountain im sayin that they will probably be near each other so if that is found then these other theories can be proven.

I'll agree that Death Mountain is very similar to Dragon Roost, and it is easy to assume that those locations match up. Which, they still very well could. Death Mountain doesn't have to be just the size we have seen in most other Zelda titles. Those mountains can go on for a much greater distance, and I believe this has been proven by WW. All of the islands in the Great Sea are very doubtingly part of Hyrule itself. Most are part of areas surrounding Hyrule, and some are most likely other areas that was around those territories.

The thing is, nothing in Dragon Roost relates to much of what we have seen of Death Mountain in the past, other than the volcanic relation and the fact that it is a large mountainous range. But Spectacle Island makes a direct relation to Spectacle Rock. So we can know that Spectacle Island is the location where Spectacle Rock is in old Hyrule. At least by my understanding and that of anyone who has played the games.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Not exactly concrete evidence. He even uses "almost" in describing the hat's origins.

He probably uses the word almost because the game isn't about Link getting his cap. It was just a nice quote talking about Link getting his cap seeing as how at the end of the game the guy he has been wearing on his head gives him a hat. I don't see how using the word almost contradicts the quote... It still mentions the idea of how Link gets his hat. If it had no relevance towards how Link got his hat then the quote never would have been said.

Also, I want to know why this quote can't be considered concrete evidence but SoJ's can be. You're picking and choosing quotes to believe. Seems a little contradictory in itself.

Someone from Nintendo stated this quote and there is nothing to contradict it. Seems like concrete evidence to me.

startimer

Resident Cartographer
We still talkin' AT placements? I don't think there is any reason to place games other than WW/PH-ST and mayby FS/FSA on the AT. I'd go into it further, but it's late and I don't have time.

One more thing, the presence of twinrova in OoX proves it goes on the CT.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
We still talkin' AT placements? I don't think there is any reason to place games other than WW/PH-ST and mayby FS/FSA on the AT. I'd go into it further, but it's late and I don't have time.

If you put FS/FSA on the AT then you have to put ALTTP there because ALTTP is obviously connected to FSA and then you would almost have to put LoZ/AoL there as they were connected in the past (under strange quotes by Miyamoto) and are still probably connected and then you would probably have to put LA there as LA has to be on the same timeline as ALTTP because of the shadow turning into Aghanim.

Basically I'm saying that FS/FSA should not be on the AT.

The Master Sword is a good indication of ALTTP not going on the AT which would also place FS/FSA NOT on the AT.

One more thing, the presence of twinrova in OoX proves it goes on the CT.

It's a good indication but without other proof it isn't much. I agree that Twinrova should not be alive on the AT so OoX shouldn't go there, but others don't see it as very important information.

V

Viral

Someone from Nintendo stated this quote and there is nothing to contradict it. Seems like concrete evidence to me.

What do you make of OoT essentially starting the tradition of Link's clothing? The original Hero of Time not only started the trend of the green hat, but the entire outfit.

The hat quote is so ambiguous and so unimportant that it really isn't a good quote to hinge the placement of an entire game on.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I'll agree that Death Mountain is very similar to Dragon Roost, and it is easy to assume that those locations match up. Which, they still very well could. Death Mountain doesn't have to be just the size we have seen in most other Zelda titles. Those mountains can go on for a much greater distance, and I believe this has been proven by WW. All of the islands in the Great Sea are very doubtingly part of Hyrule itself. Most are part of areas surrounding Hyrule, and some are most likely other areas that was around those territories.

The thing is, nothing in Dragon Roost relates to much of what we have seen of Death Mountain in the past, other than the volcanic relation and the fact that it is a large mountainous range. But Spectacle Island makes a direct relation to Spectacle Rock. So we can know that Spectacle Island is the location where Spectacle Rock is in old Hyrule. At least by my understanding and that of anyone who has played the games.

I have a thread going called Island Theories trying to think of ways the islands got their. Such as mountain ranges and maybe a piece of land broke under water and floated up making an island. Such and such.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

New Discussion 2:
Where do the tunic and hat come from?

- Current Discussion -

In both Ocarina of Time, Nintendo shows us where the green tunic worn by all future Links comes from in the first place. The Minish Cap explains the origin of the hat piece of this outfit; however, that Link is already wearing the tunic that a future Link is supposed to introduce. Does this debunk the Kokiri as the origin of the outfit, or is there some other explanation?

(Sorry, I wasn't really following the previous discussion. I'll try to follow this one more.)

In both Ocarina of Time, Nintendo shows us where the green tunic worn by all future Links comes from in the first place. The Minish Cap explains the origin of the hat piece of this outfit; however, that Link is already wearing the tunic that a future Link is supposed to introduce. Does this debunk the Kokiri as the origin of the outfit, or is there some other explanation?

No. The tunic in MC had no significance. The hat was simply said to "suit Link" at the end of the game. This was obviously to signify that Link has always fit the look of the green tunic and hat. I see it as more of something that the developers wanted to add to make this reference, rather than actually set up some kind of important event chain for the games.

OoT's tunic and hat has a little more significance, as it has been referenced in multiple games thus far. I highly doubt the Kokiri based their clothing off of the hero from MC. It was simply what they wore. They were an elf-like group of beings, so they wore what we usually see from an elf. Link's attire was based off of what the Kokiri wore in OoT, because he grew up alongside them.

Now in WW, as well as TP, the "Hero's Clothes" were based off of the look of the hero in OoT. WW makes it clear that the attire is based off of the Hero of Time's look. TP sort of makes the same reference, but because of timeline restraints, this is a bit debatable. However, I like to think that young Link himself was somewhat of a hero. I also like to think that the Spirits in TP that give Link his clothing knew of young Link in OoT travelling through time, and fullfilling his destiny as a hero there as well as during his childhood.

The other games, such as ALttP/LA, LoZ/AoL, and the Oracle titles, never gave any explanation to Link's clothing, as obviously it wasn't really a big deal then. That is simply what Link looked like, and fans were used to it. LoZ/AoL were the same Link, so of course they are going to wear roughly the same outfit. ALttP Link was based off of the original LoZ Link's look, but seeing as how I believe that game is a prequel to the originals, there is not definite, or storyline-based explanation, as to why he looks the way he does in that game. He just does.

Therefore, MC's outfit doesn't do much towards setting up a general look for Link. Although I believe it is the first game, it doesn't mean that all other looks for Link were based off of that. As you can see, OoT's look had much more significance on the history of how the hero in each game should look.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
There's no real reason for Link's clothes in MC, and if you actually think about it, they could be his pyjamas given that Zelda wakes him up, and he was sleeping in his tunic. MC Link started the hat trend amoung Link's, but arguably, he didn't. If you say that OoT Link's tunic is not based of MC Link and that is just the way he is, then why is OoT Link wearing a hat? This means either MC Link wearing a hat makes no difference or MC Link inspired the whole outfit.

T

The_Crow_

Thats a fair arguement but start up Oot and take a look around the Kokiri Forest.... Go on I'll wait...

Now notice Mido and the pther males are all wearing hats exactly like Links.
The hat must be a Kokiri tradition. Otherwise you are suggesting that MC Link inspired the Kokiri to wear these unique green hats. This seems unlikely given how oblivious they are to the world outside the forest in OoT. I am open to correction but I'm pretty sure none of the Kokiri ever mention anything about a hero to whom they look up to.

I believe the hat was started by Oot Link, part of his Kokiri heritage.

startimer

Resident Cartographer
to me, i believe it dependson the timeline. The adult timeline links were OoT link's outfit. but since OoT never happened on the child timeline (technically, the adult porton of OoT), the child timelinelinks could be modeled after MC link. Or MM link ;p.

but no, OoTlink, or the kokiri, were not inspired by MC link's outfit. noway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom