• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Possible Missed Opportunity with the Graveyard?

Well the graveyard could have been a perfect place for another dungeon. Which I always am a proponent of in place of the song of the hero bologna.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Actually, I would axe the whole "pull back gravestones for treasure", that would remove the pesky "LULZ U GOTS AN AMBER RELIC!!ONE1!...LET US SHOW YOU THAT YOU JUST GOT ANOTHER ONE!" message stream. Instead, pull back gravestones for a mini-dungeon, a couple minigames, stronger, non-canon enemies, and possibly some redeads. :right:

Really, anything could benefit SS' graveyard except for more treasure. I don't want to see that message pop up ever again.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Haha so true, there was kind of too much treasure in SS in terms of amber relics etc. It had it's uses but it wasted a lot of time.

I didn't really notice the graveyard's lack of things to do to be honest. I mean, maybe it was a missed opportunity, or maybe it would've just been odd if it had been included. I mean, at least in OoT the graveyard had significance other than just treasure, the Shadow Temple was behind it. Also, you get the hookshot from Dampe there which is arguably one of the most important items in the entire game. Making more of a feature of the graveyard would possibly have seemed a waste for the sake of a heart container when you pull back a grave or whatever.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Skyloft seems like a place of relative peace. To have caves with ReDeads and stuff would make it much more horrifying than the land below. I don't think that would be what they were going for, with skyloft being a safe place for humans and all that.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I really wish that they had done more with the graveyard. Sure, you canpush the gravestones for a few rupees, but there should have been more. It would have been cool to have a ghost sidequest.

Here is a Sidequest I thought of while writing the previous sentence.

You know the old woman in the Academy's Kitchen who is always angry? What if at night she was all sad and then you talk to her. She could say that her husband, relative, and or Remlit died. You could then go to the graveyard and talk with the ghost and get it's "Last Wishes" or something. Then tell the Old Woman all about it.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Skyloft seems like a place of relative peace. To have caves with ReDeads and stuff would make it much more horrifying than the land below. I don't think that would be what they were going for, with skyloft being a safe place for humans and all that.

I don't remember a silent realm being a SAFE PLACE.
And a DEMON living there. (Although he's harmless, he's still a demon.)
Yeah, it's peaceful during the DAY.
Have you seen Skyloft at night?
:/

Skunk

Floof
I adore the idea of more sidequests, but perhaps not a dungeon. Skyloft isn't on a very thick island, and dungeons usually take up multible floors. I would have loved to see a Pemlit paradise where the Remlits were always nice under one of the gravestones. Or maybe a portal to a silent realm.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I suppose they could've done something... But besides a secret passage or two, not much could be done due to the small size

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Truthfully there were alout of missed opurtunities, more places could have been used more often and more places could have been placed in the sky realm.

univpark

Heart of Steel
I, too, felt that it was empty. I actually tried pulling back the graves. (Hylian Shield? No. Rupees? No.)

But maybe it was because I had JUST replayed OOT. I don't think so, though. It would be cool to have an entire labyrinth beneath Skyloft.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I seem to remember playing with the graves hoping to push them back and get money or find some secret lair. I mean, grave-robbing is Zelda tradition!

I'm definitely for the idea of being able to read the graves. I was dissapointed at not being able to do that in Twilight Princess, too. You see, in real life, I live across the street from a cemetary. I do not know anyone buried there, but I like taking walks and reading the stuff on the headstones - names, dates, bits of poetry. I mean, there are graves from the 1840s there as well as recent stones. You can get a sense of history in a graveyard - and history is important in Hyrule and related lands...

In my head-canon for the Skyloft Graveyard... I don't think anyone is actually buried there, for at least very few people - maybe ashes, because the area is not very big, nor is the ground very deep. I'd think on a sky-island, land would be at a premium, therefore funeral that take up a minium of space would be popular. I created a popular funeral rite for Skyloft for my fanfictions, it's been mentioned in a couple of them: "Sky Burial" via Loftwing. The deceased is placed upon a scaffold and taken away by their Loftwing. If you want details, I can link you to my fictional Loftwing guidebook, or to the chapter of a story-fanfic in which I had this done to a popular character. I think the graves are likely records of family-names of people who died, a marker for every prominent family/clan.

Still, I think it would have been nice to "grave-rob" or to hunt Poes, or to meet the friendly spirit of a fallen Skyloftian (Pipit's father, pehraps), who has friendly advice and/or gossip about the people of the island.

A cave of ordeals type dungeon in the graveyard would have been great. But I too, noticed that there literally was no point to the graveyard other than getting to Batreaux's house. At least they put a light tear there that you needed to collect in that last trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom