• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Possible Missed Opportunity with the Graveyard?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
As you know, to start the side-quests in Skyward Sword you must first meet the demon, Batreaux.
This is the sole significant purpose in which you must open the shed and retrieve Kukiel (I think that's how you spell it).
Afterwards the graveyard's only purpose is to take up space in Skyloft and look "pretty".
Do you think they could have done something similar to Ocarina of Time's Kakariko village's graveyard?
Where you could pull back graves and find hidden passages?
Not only could this include optional side-quests it would be in an interesting chance to include new enemies.
Or maybe continue the dark/cursed theme such as the one shown in the Ancient Cistern (minus the cursed Bokoblin).
I just see it as something they missed. You really did nothing in the graveyard except traverse through it to get to Batreaux's house.

What do you think?

I definitely noticed the emptiness of the Graveyard as well. It really did seem sort of lazy on their part for not adding more to it, I mean pulling back graves for treasure is a staple of Zelda graveyards ! (You do it in TP, OoT, etc.)
Anyways, besides just getting treasure, I thought it would've been nice to read some of the graves as well, maybe something funny, maybe something spooky, I don't know but anything would've been more interesting than what was there.
Another cool idea I was sort of expecting but didn't happen was meeting other demons/ghosts like Batreaux. Family members or friends or something, I'm surprised they went pretty much no where else with his character besides the side-quests.
I have to admit, however, that I don't like to single out the Graveyard, a lot of Skyloft's areas seemed empty where they should've been more filled :\

Because, if you look at it practically, a hidden passage that was more than a few meters below the ground would result in Link dropping through the hole only to come out into the Sky.

Because, if you look at it practically, a hidden passage that was more than a few meters below the ground would result in Link dropping through the hole only to come out into the Sky.

Oh my goodness ........ My thinking will never be the same
HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THAT xD

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
That's true, but there were a few other islands in the sky (which were much smaller than Skyloft, obviously) that had digging holes that led to underground grottos that seemed much larger than the actual island. If the developers managed to put in things like that without the players questioning it, they could have done the same with the Graveyard.

I would have loved it if they put more stuff in the Graveyard. Not only that -- why not put more stuff in the entire game? Why does it only have to be the Graveyard? I was really hoping for a Cave of Ordeals-type thing the entire time, but all we got was a Boss Rush. :\

They could have done something I suppose. I also don't see it as a big deal though. We aren't missing out on much by not being able to dig for treasure and the island wouldn't have room for any underground passage in it.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me

Physics. Gotta love physics. It might work. Although that might work near the center, beneath the Bazaar where the rock is ticker. By the graveyard its about three-and-a-half feet thick.

Sure, they missed an opportunity there, but considering Skyward Sword is a prequel to all the other games, I'd say that was the least of the possibilities Nintendo had and didn't take advantage of. There were so many origin stories and whatnot that could've been presented and weren't.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I did feel something could have been better about the graveyard (and yeah, some of Skyloft's areas overall), but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really seem like something I'd really complain about. However, it's still not as well-equipped as most graveyards have been, taking Nintendo's track record with jeepers-creepers style ambientation.

I thought it would've been nice to read some of the graves as well, maybe something funny, maybe something spooky, I don't know but anything would've been more interesting than what was there.

That would've been so cool. :xd: It sounds like the kind of thing that would make for awesome fan service in a future re-release. Now, this might be unrelated, but... did Pipit have a father? I don't really remember if she mentioned one (and I'm too lazy to go check now), but if there wasn't one... well, you can probably guess what went throiugh my mind just there.

Heh, I actually remember thinking something similar about Jabu-Jabu in Ocarina of Time. He looked much bigger from the inside than he did from the outside. Hyrule has always seemed to me like it had some interesting rules when it comes to an object's inner size in relationship to their outside. While we're at it, that would also sort of explain how Link manages to carry all that stuff without looking like he's actually carrying anything.

I think Mario 64 had something similar but I already went off topic enough by now.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Actually, you're wrong.
Skyloft is an incredibly sturdy island with who knows how many passages under neath.
If it can house SKY KEEP after it loses over half of its ground, there is SO an opportunity to put passages underneath the graves.
So Link would never drop through to the Sky unless a mishap happens or it was dug WAY too deep.

Actually, you're wrong.
Skyloft is an incredibly sturdy island with who knows how many passages under neath.
If it can house SKY KEEP after it loses over half of its ground, there is SO an opportunity to put passages underneath the graves.
So Link would never drop through to the Sky unless a mishap happens or it was dug WAY too deep.

Yeah, it's basically a general rule in video games that things on the outside are almost always smaller than they actually are on the inside anyways.

MW7

I think that's a terrific idea. I feel like the further we come in the series, the more inevitable missed opportunities will be because of the amount of content in the games. Not to belittle your idea because it's very good, but after less than a year I've already heard tons of good ideas about what could have been done in Skyward Sword. This discussion reminds me of the super obvious exclusion from Ocarina of Time that people were so befuddled by that they assumed they did something wrong. What I'm talking about is how Zora's Domain never returns to normal after the Water Temple.

Personally though I do really like when the spooky areas of games are well-developed. A simple little graveyard certainly could have been a lot more, and I really like your idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom