• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art A Link to Reality

Garo

Boy Wonder
Warning: This is an incredibly unorthodox story. I wanted to do a Zelda story, but in the confines of Hyrule I couldn't tell one very confidently. All attempts became descriptions of essentially what one would do in a game, and any attempts to remedy that began to distort the spirit of Zelda. So, I decided to find a way to free myself from the confines of Hyrule, while still being able to remain true to the Zelda spirit and tell a story about Hyrule in a new, exciting way.

A Link to Reality (Rated PG for mild violence)

Contents:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Prologue: Creation

Jack was no writer.

For years his teachers, readers, peers and casual acquaintances told him such. No matter which genre he tried his hand at, he was unable to bring substance to the worlds and characters he tried to build, instead breathing life into carbon copies of popular tales with some names exchanged for others. Never disheartened, however, he continued to write. All good things in time, after all.

What Jack lacked in writing capability he made up for in spirit, and in imagination. In his mind he could see fantastic worlds rife with living creatures never before seen. Characters with personalities that would belong at home in the real world, with stories that ought be told made themselves clear to him in his mind's eye. His problem lie not with conception, but with transferring thought to paper.

It wasn't until three years after graduating high school that somebody finally told Jack what he needed to do. Jack was no writer - Jack was an artist.

Jack was skeptical at first - he had never drawn anything in his life. But Sarah was adamant that Jack would make an excellent artist, with time. Despite his trepidation, Jack enrolled in a few art classes - partially out of his own curiosity, and partially to please Sarah. With time, Jack found that he had some natural talent - he was drawing basic humans within a few days, with impressive realism. Satisfied, he began to take the initiative himself, and attempted to transcribe the worlds he envisioned onto canvas.

In the comfort of his own home over the intimidating entrapment of the classroom, Jack allowed his thoughts to flow freely as he set his pencil to paper. He sketched several of the creatures from a recent attempt at a fantasy short story as a warm up. First, a bizarre pig-like creature took shape. Wielding a spear, it certainly looked intimidating - yet, at the same time, its boar qualities lent it a great deal of whimsy. Next, Jack drew an octopus-like creature that spit rocks at its prey. Somewhat displeased with this creature's design - it was essentially just an octopus - he pushed it aside and decided to give form to the hero of his story.

Jack had never been a fan of the typical elf - tall, lanky, pointed ears and immortal didn't appeal to the failed author, fledgling artist. So his hero had been a cross between a small, child-sized human with a few elfin features - namely, the pointed ears and starry eyes. Suiting the character in a tunic and a long, sheath-like cloth hat, Jack was pleased with the look of his character. The midnight oil nearly exhausted, Jack placed his sketches in a pile and retired for the night.

1: The Rabbit Hole Opens

Sarah paid Jack a visit the next day, to ask him about the art classes. Much to Jack's chagrin, she brought Mitch along. Mitch was a casual acquaintance that the two of them had in common, but Jack didn't care much for him, and he got the impression that the feeling was mutual. Jack handed the pile of sketches he had made the night before to Sarah, very calmly and very relaxed. Jack liked to hear her reassurance, and acting highly modest and diminutive about his work - in his mind, at least - seemed like a good way to get it.

Sarah flipped through the sketches, offering praise to both the pig-man and the octopus. To Jack's surprise, she was very thrilled by the octopus for some reason, though the pig-man seemed to give her pause. The pause was somewhat bizarre - Jack thought that it was the same sort of pause that one experiences when their eyes pass over somebody they know in an old photograph. She quickly moved past it, and Jack did as well.

When she got to the character sketch, her eyes lit up, and the same odd pause was present. After it passed, she poured praise on it, saying that she loved the realism, loved the look of the boy, and loved the green coloring of his suit.

At that comment, Jack froze. Green coloring? Jack had only made sketches, no colors. He swiftly moved over behind Sarah - shoving Mitch aside gently as he did - and glanced at his own sketch. As he did, he had an odd sinking feeling.

The sketch was in full color. The boy was clothed in a green tunic and hat, the latter of which covered a head full of blond hair, some of which was still visible beneath the brim, and was now holding a small sword in his left hand. Jack looked at Mitch, thinking perhaps this was his doing, but Mitch only gave Jack a look of typical enmity - nothing suspicious.

Rather than question the oddity in front of them, he simply thanked Sarah for the praise. Sarah assured him that he was doing really well and should continue with his art classes, and then left in a hurry. Jack didn't put much thought into it; stranger things were happening, and he had plenty else on his mind.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
Thanks. :) I was struck by the inspiration today so I knocked out a few chapters while the idea was fresh; here is the second one. I'm very happy with this one, but the next few I'm only reasonably content with. They need tinkering. But for now, enjoy the second chapter, :)

Contents:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

2: The Red Pill

The rattle of pills in a bottle pierced the silence that had pervaded Jack's apartment since Sarah and Mitch's departure. Jack scanned the side effects listing cursorily, ensuring that hallucinations or sleepwalking were not among them. Seeing that they weren't, Jack threw them aside and returned to his desk. Several sketches were strewn about. The initial three, which in the several hours that had passed since Sarah saw them, had become fully colored illustrations, the creatures they depict in new positions, sat in the center. Around them were a series of new sketches that Jack had drawn in his frenzy - sketches of further creatures and people. One was a young girl, not quite the same as the initial character - she lacked the pointed ears - but still very similar. Another depicted a skeletal creature armed with a shield and sword. All of them shared only one thing: none of them existed, and yet they all seemed to have a life of their own.

Jack ran his fingers through his hair, exhausted. After the pig-man and octopus had colored themselves, he had placed a camera at his desk, looking down at the sketches, to monitor them when he could not, for whatever reasons. He was determined to catch these sketches changing. Jack glanced at the clock - 11:34PM. He looked back at the sketches - still no change on the new ones. His eyelids began to droop low, into his line of sight. The room around him began to appear fuzzy. Realizing what was happening, he snapped to attention with a quick slap to the face. He glanced back over at the clock - 12:23AM. With a grunt of annoyance, he glanced at the sketches - and they had changed.

All of them were now fully colored, and once again in new positions. The images of the humanoid characters had fallen to the floor next to the desk. Annoyed that he missed the change, he swiped up his video camera and began to review the footage. As he rewound the tape, he saw the colors drain from the sketches - not only did the colors spontaneously drain, but the sketches were moving as they did. The creatures, which already looked lively, were literally crawling with life. As he started to search the desk on the screen for the humanoid figures, Jack heard the sound of glass shattering in front of him. He looked, and saw the octopus sketch moving. His eyes widening, he glanced at the lens of the camera - a rock had struck the lens and broken the glass. He looked back at the octopus creature once more, just in time to see it spit another rock, this one just barely missing Jack's forehead. Panicking, Jack dropped the broken camera and ducked, lying flat on the ground next to the desk.

The rock barrage from above didn't stop, and several rocks struck the back of his shoes. Suddenly he felt a sharp pain in his side, as if struck by something. He looked over and saw the boy character he had drawn, beating his side with the hilt of his sword. When the boy noticed that Jack saw him, he began holding his arm in a strange fashion. He kept glancing up at Jack after making the motion, but Jack just stared at the sketch, in awe. Rolling his eyes, the boy pointed at the pencil next to the paper he was drawn on, and motioned to Jack's hand. Getting the message, Jack picked up the pencil, and the boy began repeating the same motion he was performing earlier. He extended his right arm sideways across his body, and held it tightly in place, gripping with his fingers. Jack wasn't following. The boy then held up his sword, and then performed the motion again. Finally understanding, Jack reached down and drew a shield next to the boy. The boy picked up the shield, and then motioned upward, at the rocks flying overhead. Jack picked up the sheet of paper and placed it on the desk, next to the octopus. When it touched the desk, the octopus drawing instantly turned to face the boy, and spit a rock at him. The boy held up his shield, and the rock ricocheted off the shield, back at the octopus. Knocked unconscious, the octopus fell to the ground.

Jack watched the exchange, stunned. It didn't stop there, though. The boy suddenly started charging - in the process, running off of his page and onto a different page - and then leaped at the pig-man, slashing with his sword as he came to the ground. The sword sliced through the pig-man's spear, and before the pig-man could retaliate, the boy bashed his head with the hilt of his sword, knocking it unconscious. Jack rubbed his eyes, and looked back at the boy. He was staring up at Jack now. The entire ordeal was hard to process for Jack. The boy motioned downward, at the floor. The drawing of the girl that Jack had made earlier was down there. Jack picked it up and placed it on the desk next to the boy. The girl's sketch was now fully colored as well; she was wearing a green garment similar to the boy, but no hat; instead, her head was covered with green hair. She still wasn't animated, however.

The boy moved onto her page and began making motions next to her. Jack wasn't sure what to make of them until the boy started posing in various positions; he wanted more people.

Jack began to draw.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
Wow. This. Is. Awesome. You're a really good writer. The only thing I find wrong with it is lack of dialogue, but this is so good.

:D Thank you!

The dialogue thing has actually been hard for me. Part of me doesn't feel right excluding it so far - but the reason I have done so is that so far I only have my Link surrogate animated. Part of my thoughts going into this were to keep the Zelda spirit intact, and I think that giving Link a personality and a voice - even if through text alone - would be against that. So for the moment I'm not giving characters dialogue, but I can say that the early draft of chapter three has some dialogue in it. :)

amaterasu

Writer
wow. this is pretty cool. cant wait for the next chapter. *looks outside* hmm. not quite dark, so it's not time to post my next chapter.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Polished up Chapter 3; I'm having a very productive day, and I don't want to waste any of the uncharacteristic creativity I've got flowing tonight! :)

Contents:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

3: Architect

The beeping of the alarm clock jolted Jack back into consciousness. Groaning in discomfort as he arose, he became aware of the fact that he was not actually anywhere near his bed - rather, he had fallen asleep at his desk, and slumped over onto the floor as a result. As he slowly became fully cognizant of his surroundings, he sat slowly into his desk chair.

He looked at the world that he had spent all night building. It was exactly as it had appeared within his mind, all those nights ago when he had first put pen to paper. Then, he had failed - his written word was weak. But here it was, in startling detail and breathtakingly beautiful in its scope. It extended beyond the paper - some magical quality that Jack could not discern the source of - to become a living, breathing world. Yet he could take none of the credit. Sitting in one of the small treehouses he had built was the boy in green. The boy seemed to know exactly what Jack had envisioned, and guided him through every stroke of the pencil and every step of the way to creating the massive forest that lie before him.

The boy was wholly instrumental. He was Jack's link to the world within the paper, Jack's link to his own mind. For this reason, Jack had begun referring to the boy as Link.

Link was still sleeping. Jack's other creations had finally animated, sometime during the night. Already the newly-created forest was teeming with life. Small girls and boys, all clothed in green, ran jovially around the forest, carefree and perfectly content with their world, small as it was. Something caught Jack's eye. Each of the children were accompanied by a small, floating orb of light with wings - and these orbs seemed to have a life of their own. He leaned inward, to get a closer look.

In addition to a closer look, Jack got something he wasn't expecting. He heard voices coming from within the world behind the paper. Multiple voices - they were having a conversation, it seemed. He leaned still closer to try and make out what they were saying.

"What do you think of that Link kid?"

Jack was somewhat taken aback to hear that these children had the same name for the boy in green that he had been using - but, given that he had somehow created them, he dismissed the thought
"I like him. He's a nice kid." A girl's voice. Jack saw that it was the first girl that he had sketched, the one with green hair.

"Yeah, well... I don't like him. He seems a bit cocky, think's the world's his own, y'know?" This was the same voice that spoke the first time. Jack remembered drawing this boy. He had orange hair and a very self-assured, smug look on his face. Jack didn't like him. In fact, he reminded Jack very strongly of somebody, but he couldn't place it.

"You only don't like him because Saria likes him, Mido." A different girl. This one had blonde hair, like Link. Though her statement was somewhat hostile, she said it playfully and giggled at the end.

"That's not true!" The orange-haired boy again. Apparently, his name was Mido. Jack found this interesting. The characters appeared to be creating their own story. "I don't like him because he's an outsider. He isn't one of us."

"Sure he is! The Great Deku Tree wouldn't lie to us." The green haired girl. Jack got the feeling that she was the Saria that the blonde girl referred to, but he wasn't sure.

Mido grumbled something unintelligible, but Jack got the feeling it was less than agreeable. The other girls seemed satisfied with his response, and left him sitting on the platform on the edge of the pond. Over in his treehouse, Jack could see Link waking up. Apparently Saria noticed it to, and ran over there.

Jack was fully engaged with the world he had given life to when all of a sudden a harsh knocking at his door snapped him back to reality. He opened the door to see three of his professors standing there. Such a thing would be quite unorthodox to begin with, but even more so on a Saturday.

"Hello Jack," the first one said as she, uninvited, stepped through his door. The other two followed suit with little more than a nod. Jack, uncertain how to react, mechanically closed the door, and turned to see the three professors crouched over his desk, looking into the world.

"So Jack," another one called out. "Have you been talking to any of the people in here?"

Jack was even more confused than he had been. The third one looked over at him, and, recognizing this, chuckled. "I think we're confusing him, ladies. Perhaps we should explain?"

"Ah, yes, of course! Where are our manners?" The first one stood up straight. She looked far different standing in Jack's apartment than she did standing behind a podium in his Constitutional Law class. The blue shirt and jeans she was wearing were a marked foray away from her typical black pantsuit. "Your friend Sarah informed us of some interesting happenings with the drawings that you have been creating in your free time. We've some experience on happenings related to this, and felt the need to ensure that you had a handle on things. Here, you may call me Natalie."

Jack nodded, still not quite satisfied. The third professor - the one who had been teaching the art class - smiled. "Diane works fine for me, just as in class." She tugged at the collar of her red shirt, apparently a little uncomfortable.

The second one didn't smile, nor even turn away from the world beyond the page. Jack could only look at the back of her green shirt as she said, "And call me Farrah." She leaned inward, almost as if to listen to a conversation.

Jack swallowed hard, building the courage to talk to this intimidating gathering of his professors. "So... call you Diane," he said, pointing to the red-shirted professor now glancing over Farrah's shoulder; "...call you Farrah," pointing to the professor now in the bottom right corner, looking into the world; "...and call you Natalie?" he finished, pointing to the professor who had just settled in the bottom left corner.

All three of them turned their heads at the same time, their heads arranged in an odd triangular shape. "Yes," they said in unison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom