• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Bit of a Dilemma.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I've been doing some ranked double battles, and I ran into a problem with two of my pokemon: Cinder the charizard and Dizzy the heliolisk. I tend to mega evolve Cinder(note that I have Y). But when I have them both out at the same time, Dizzy has the dry skin ability so she suffers from the drought that becomes Cinder's ability. I tend to forget about that until it happens. Granted, I still won the battle, but...

So there are a few things I can do:
- Not mega evolve her at all(Yes, Cinder is a girl! Yay for female starters.)
- Replace one of them with a different pokemon, maybe breed the event torchic and try to get a female, then have a mega blaziken instead. I like to have 3 males and 3 females on a team.
- Keep trying to remember to not have Dizzy out with mega evolved Cinder
- Give Dizzy the safety goggles, which prevent weather effects, and hope that works with what's going on here

I think the safety goggles will be the best bet. But I don't have them, so:
- Where do you find them?
- Do they stop pokemon with dry skin from taking sun damage? Would they also prevent the rain healing? Rain healing stopping I'm not too worried about, I have no rain dancers on my team.

Maybe I shouldve predicted this and made sure I got a helioptile without dry skin...but, it can't be helped now.

Perhaps replace the Charizard. I don't know how good its Mega Evolution is but I do know that Charizard before Mega Evolving is in the NU tier so it isn't a very good Pokemon at base. I doubt Mega Evolving makes it so much better that it's in OU, unless someone can correct me on this.

It's hard to predict at the dawn of the competitive scene, but both mega evolutions of Charizard are looking quite promising.

Charizard X's main advantage is the dragon typing, along with the ability Tough Claws, which is a rather significant damage booster (1.2 or 1.3?). Being able to ravage through dragon types with a boosted outrage/dragon claw that's STAB, on top of Charizard X's large base stats, looks like a good selling point. Round it out with flare blitz and swords dance along with a reduced stealth rock weakness, and Charizard X could be solid OU.

Not too sure about Charizard Y though, which is what the OP is suggesting. I'd hazard a guess that it outclasses Ninetails in about every way when it comes to a sun-inducer, since its special attack gets so high on top of drought. Weather got severely nerfed this gen though, so I get the feeling that we'll be seeing less of it outside of the uber tier, which I think is a good thing. Charizard Y is pretty much just regular Charizard on steroids, so it has all of the same weaknesses and stuff like that. I like Charizard X more to be honest.

To the OP, weather only lasts for five turns, right? You could always try to plan around that, using your dry skin-er when it wears off, or using it before you bring in Charizard Y. Or you could just stick with regular Charizard. From what I can tell, it's an in-game team anyway, and Charizard, while absolute balls on the competitive scene, is decent enough on an in-game team.

Dragoncat

Oh geez...here come the tiers.

I use this team in game, but I've been doing random matchup with it too...so idk. The drought does last for 5 turns. I always hated the fact that charizard is so bad in competitive and according to smogon and the people who EV train, hatch eggs until they get the right nature, etc. Aint nobody got time for that. I like battling online, but...holy crap. Stressing over all that will just take all the fun away. I love charizard. Always have, always will. But the irony of it? Another member of this team has stealth rock...I wonder if Cinder looks at Ravage (my tyrantrum) and shudders, lol. *pats her* It's okay, he's on our side...

Really the point here is to have fun. I understand competitive battling and get the right natures and ev train my guys but I do not go for the best ivs. I like my pokemon being different than everyone elses. I am breeding a trick room party for doubles and I am going for the best nature and hopefully the lowest speed iv I can get but I am just playing to have fun. and the best way to do that is with the pokemon you love. Who cares if charizard is in the UU tier or what ever. the only thing that puts ninetales in OU is drought lol.

I don't care how my trick room team performs because my mega blastoise it going to be a nice tank that will be fun to use.

Dragoncat

Really the point here is to have fun. I understand competitive battling and get the right natures and ev train my guys but I do not go for the best ivs. I like my pokemon being different than everyone elses. I am breeding a trick room party for doubles and I am going for the best nature and hopefully the lowest speed iv I can get but I am just playing to have fun. and the best way to do that is with the pokemon you love. Who cares if charizard is in the UU tier or what ever. the only thing that puts ninetales in OU is drought lol.

I don't care how my trick room team performs because my mega blastoise it going to be a nice tank that will be fun to use.

*high fives a million times*

You're dedication to your charizard makes me feel happy for some reason. Thank you for being so awesome

To actually try to give some useful advice though, do you have a specific strategy in mind with these two, or did they just happen to end up together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom