• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS to Be Able to Do Game Installs

Kazumi

chagy
According to a Japanese financial newspaper that has some inside info, the 3DS will be able to install games from the cartridges directly to the hard drive, so that you don't have to swap carts and don't have to bring them with you.

You can do the exact same thing on the 360 and PS3. And my Wii. Because I've hacked it. This is really cool for a number of reasons. First of all, not having to bring out my carts and swapping them out is great, because I loose those damn things on a daily basis.

Second, that means that the 3DS should have a fairly large on-board hard drive. I'm just going to make a wild guess now and say 20-30GB. Considering that your average game will be 2GB or under based on the cartridge information that Nintendo has released on their site. That means plenty of room for downloadable awesome things. And coupled with the fact that the 3DS has a "home" button very similar to the Wii, and Nintendo registered the name 3DSWare, it looks like the 3DS will have a shop channel as well.

Hell, maybe the 3DS will have access to WiiWare and Virtual Console, and a new 3DSWare. Considering the 20GB would be 40 times the size of the Wii's hard drive, it's a distinct possibility. I sure as hell hope so. Also, downloading of GB/GBC/GBA, GameGear and hell, even DS games with that big of a hard drive would be great... Please please please please please please please Nintendo...

Anyway, what do you think. Also, here is the link:
http://www.destructoid.com/report-3ds-can-do-game-installs-176850.phtml

Honestly, I'm really surprised. Not by "another DS" but how Nintendo actually seems to want to upgrade hardware this time! (gasp). After all these Wii years, I was beginning to think quirky "innovative" controls were all they cared about. Hell, that seems to be EXACTLY what the Wii is all about. I'm pleasantly surprised we're getting a trend breaker here, which obviously greatly enhanced graphics and, as you say, way more memory. This may be the first step Nintendo is taking towards actually catching up with the competition for once in their existence. With all the new memory, I'm really hoping for a 3DS Virtual Console with tons of old hand held games ranging from the Game Boy to the Advance.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
And here I was thinking the DSi was the closest thing to a new handheld console in the near future when it was released. If I had just been more patient, I would've been saved 170$.

I actually think I'd like that whole downloading games from the cartridges thing. It'd save me a lot of hassle trying to find a cartridge and switch them out, as well as if I have to go anywhere for an extremely long period of time (ahem, waiting for a niece/nephew to be born or being on one of my mom's infamous shopping sprees that last all day) I wouldn't have to lug around as much stuff.

Although, I hope they don't decide that because of this added convenience, they decide it's alright to make the 3DS tiny or huge. Nothing as big as the Game Gear, and nothing as tiny as the DSi. If it can't fit into my pocket, then what's the use of it being a "portable" system? I might as well just bring around a TV and my Wii. If it ends up tiny like the DSi, the shoulder buttons will just end up breaking within a year (just like my friggin' DSi). Seriously, it needs to be about the same size as the original Phat DS. It's shoulder buttons don't break from just using them and it's actually pretty durable.

Kazumi

chagy
And here I was thinking the DSi was the closest thing to a new handheld console in the near future when it was released. If I had just been more patient, I would've been saved 170$.

I actually think I'd like that whole downloading games from the cartridges thing. It'd save me a lot of hassle trying to find a cartridge and switch them out, as well as if I have to go anywhere for an extremely long period of time (ahem, waiting for a niece/nephew to be born or being on one of my mom's infamous shopping sprees that last all day) I wouldn't have to lug around as much stuff.

Although, I hope they don't decide that because of this added convenience, they decide it's alright to make the 3DS tiny or huge. Nothing as big as the Game Gear, and nothing as tiny as the DSi. If it can't fit into my pocket, then what's the use of it being a "portable" system? I might as well just bring around a TV and my Wii. If it ends up tiny like the DSi, the shoulder buttons will just end up breaking within a year (just like my friggin' DSi). Seriously, it needs to be about the same size as the original Phat DS. It's shoulder buttons don't break from just using them and it's actually pretty durable.

Ummm.. Master Kokiri? Have you not seen the piles of screen shots for the 3DS and games that have already been released. Just look on any game site and you will see. Also, you are right, it is about the size of the DS Phat. So go take a look, also look at some of the awesome games for it. I can't wait to buy one...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I hope it will be able to. I also hope there is Virtual Console and Virtual Handheld.
The VH comment is lulz worthy. If we COULD download games, would they be GBA games (2-32M:cool:, or DS games (64-256M:cool:? I'd really like to know what the 3DS is truly capable of. Can't wait for it, I hope I have enough money for it by the time it comes out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom