• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2d Zelda

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Fairly simple, do you think we will ever see a full blown 2d Zelda title ever again? When I mean by 2d, I don't mean the like 2.5D that was Phantom Hourglass. I'm speaking of, something along the lines of say Link to the Past or the Minish Cap.

Personally, I really thing they have one or two still left in the tank. It really depends on what happens with the new Wii Zelda too. I think they can easily pull off a massive 2d game, fill it with a good 9-10 dungeons or something with a huge inventory.

It seems it makes sense that it takes a much longer time to create a 3d zelda title than a 2d zelda title. Thus, I think rather than focusing on creative ways to include wii or ds funcationality, stick to the roots of the series. Give the hardcore fans another huge 2d Zelda title. Don't worry about all the new things in Zelda, but just spend all the time building a very deep storyline with a ton of dungeons, a ton of items, and a massive overworld. I would just love if they were to do something like this.

I don't think we'll ever see another 2D Zelda game. Not for a bad reason though.
Not having one on the Wii is pretty much self-explanitory.
I also doubt we'll see one on the DS since PH had so much success.

P

Peregrine

A good story is essential, especially with a long lived franchise like Zelda. But in the video game industry, gameplay can make or break a title. You could have the most innovative story ever, but if the controls aren't any good, and it's too hard for even casual gamers to figure out, then it would have to be a really strong story.

There may still be some life in 2D gameplay. For one thing, we all know how to use it. The engines already exist, so it's just a matter of using them to create the worlds. So it's conceivable that they could be leveraged for a series of episodic games, or even a few big epic titles. But then if it was really that easy, the Oracle series would have been the trilogy that it was intended to be.

But Nintendo is all about innovation right now, and focusing on new and intuitive controls, and new ways to use them. The industry is about moving forward, not moving backward. With a few exceptions, the industry doesn't want to work with 2D tech if it can be avoided. You can bet that these new consoles and handhelds would take a beating if their hardware was that underused. And no developer wants to put working with last decade's technology on their resume.

Granted, a 2D title might be a good way to get a good fast story out there. But I doubt you're going to see anything more than another Four Swords-like game out of it. If they were to release the engines and templates to independent developers to see what they'd come up with, then you might see more. But otherwise, I doubt it.

The only possible exception I can imagine is with WiiWare. They could conceivably crank out a few quick 2D titles for WiiWare. We'll see, I suppose. We'll see.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
i think the chances are small to see a 2d zelda again, but it would be awsome. there will be so much possibilities if they made a 2d zelda for the wii. like for instance, 4 swords aventures for the GC was pretty cool. if they made something like that for the wii, it would be awsome.

i think the chances are small to see a 2d zelda again, but it would be awsome. there will be so much possibilities if they made a 2d zelda for the wii. like for instance, 4 swords aventures for the GC was pretty cool. if they made something like that for the wii, it would be awsome.
I doubt Nintendo will make a Four Swords game for the Wii.
Now for the DS, that has a good chance of happening, because Miyamito said that Four Swords for the GBA helped inspire the DS.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
I doubt Nintendo will make a Four Swords game for the Wii.
Now for the DS, that has a good chance of happening, because Miyamito said that Four Swords for the GBA helped inspire the DS.

Making a four swords (2D) game for the Wii would be like making an 8-bit game for the Nintendo 64. I think we will see four swords again on the DS, and perhaps another title in the future. I don't like Zelda being a mulitplayer game though - I would have liked Phantom Hourglass more if there weren't Big Plays or multiplayer/wi-fi. I'd like to see a game with similar graphics to The Minish Cap, but revamped to look great on the DS. Add an immense inventory and a great storyline, variety of enemies, replayability, and many dungeons - and you have a perfect Zelda game (in my opinion, at least). I'd like to see a return of the 2nd quests, but to actually make things harder, and more challenging.

He was speaking of FSA which WAS released on a console..the Gamecube. I dont think making a 2D is moving backward seeing how this is the Zelda franchise...They did it with the newer Mario games (aside from Galaxy) and it worked out just fine. They can do so much more with 2D titles now than before, they went straight from the SNES to the N64 3d console...

linkman8

True and Noble
Well personally I don't think having a 2-D game on a console like the Wii would be a good idea, because it's not exactly using all of its power by doing that. I would suggest using 2D games on the DS.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Well personally I don't think having a 2-D game on a console like the Wii would be a good idea, because it's not exactly using all of its power by doing that. I would suggest using 2D games on the DS.

there may be a limit to possibilities of a 2d game. but still the game can have a huge profit of quality and data of the wii. there are more retro 2d games that was remade and there were a lot of possibilities on a 2d game what they could not have done in the past ( like in the time of SNES )

an example, SNK vs Capcom. could they have done the same motion speed, quality & effects of the game in the past?

or there are games that both use 3d and 2d elements, a perefect example for this would be the game ikaruga for the GC. a flight action game like at a arcade, but much more improved thanks to the concolse.

IKARUGA (most of the people have never heard about this game)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=bx0yVFfDOz4

Who says it needs to use all the power of the Wii? A godly 2D Zelda for the Wii is very probable....doesnt need to be 3D. Maybe even another celshaded Zelda minus the cartoony kidish style would also be great. But a vast 3D Zelda is also inevitable...especially since Twilight Princess was GCN graphics at best, we will see the full potential of the Wii.

But a vast 3D Zelda is also inevitable...especially since Twilight Princess was GCN graphics at best, we will see the full potential of the Wii.
That will probably be the case. Brawl used a DVD9(double layered disc) because it has so much content on it...Now if Nintendo had a big enough Zelda game to go on a DVD9, that would truly be godly.

Well, I've got my fingers crossed for a new 2d Zelda on DS. With the DS hardware, they could make a really long, epic title, and still have great graphics. I liked how PH was 2d/3d, but I really hope they do make a true 2d Zelda. It isn't likely, as they could make a full blown 3d title for DS, which would be great and all, but 2d should get another epic title at least before it's gone forever.

Shadow Goris

The Stalker
I think There will be another title with simaliar graphics to FSA for the DS. However, I'm hoping for a 3D Zelda game that uses a DVD9 disc that has the best graphics on the wii. Sure if the game was a superb 2D zelda for the wii/DS/GBA SP then that would be okay, but i would like a 3D one better.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
As much as I love the 3D Zelda games, and would love a new one, I actually think that a console 2D Zelda would be a great idea. I hpoe that they do make one at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom