• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2D Games Harder?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
:huh:

They're not harder.

It's because you're used to the 3D games and/or find the style of them more comfortable. It took me less than a week to beat the original LoZ, and only 2 weeks to beat ALttP.

OoT, on the other hand, always takes me at least a month. MM and WW usually take two months.

I personally don't see how 2D could be harder... I mean, the puzzles were less convoluted, and there was only a 2D space to hide things in. A 3D space is inherently more complicated, because it adds height, depth, and camera angle to the equation. Not to mention that there are more items and more kinds of puzzles in the games than there once were.

Austin

Austin
I do find the 2D games harder, combat-wise. Puzzle-wise, they were actually a bit easier. But the reason that I think the 2D games have harder combat (other than the noticeable drop in my skill level) is the absence of a lock-on mechanism. In any 3D title you can target enemies and don't really have to worry about your spatial orientation; everything can be done in simple button combinations. Whereas, in 2D Zelda, I never know what to do with myself. Especially during boss fights, I'm never angled in the right direction and I never know what part of the room is "safe" or not.

OotLord1003

Young Link
I find the puzzles easeir in the 2D games because you had a greater view, but the fighting in the 2D was harder, It was just "slash slash kill" but the 3d games were better fighting because you get the whole circumference of the enemy. But I completley agree with athenian200, you are just more comfortable.

Im not sure if the whole game is harder when it's 2D, but i am positive that the bosses in some 2D games are harder than the bosses in 3D games. The bosses in ALttP and AoL are so hard, I have never beaten a boss in either of these games on the first try. I think that this may be because in the 3D games, you can avoid attacks better. in ALttP, you can only dodge attacks from Left to right or by moving back. in WW, OoT, ect, you can roll-dodge backward...

Also, most people forget about how helpful Z-Targeting or targeting in general can be. there is no targeting what so ever in the 2D games, and it really helps Link's aim in the 3D games.

You don't have a fairy or any other partner in the 2D games to constantly tell you what to do. it's nice for the peace and quiet, but it also means that you have to think for yourself while playing. I guess the 2D games are harder, at least i think so anyway.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I find the fighting is harder in 2d. For some reason in 2d the enemies all seem more jittery and harder to keep away from harming you. 2d puzzles are definitely easier. First time I played MM I couldn't get through STT without a guide. I didn't have a guide for OoT and it took me a long time to get through that too. But the fights is always what holds me back in 2d. I always need to go into dungeons with potions and whatnot.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I too find 2D games harder and I believe its because the creators don't put as much thought into the clues of the game. With the 3D game, they're probably worried that it'll be too hard to figure out, so they throw in really obvious clues. But the 2D's appear a lot more easier so a lot of things appear common sense to them. That's my speculation anyway.

O

OceanaOfTime

I don't think it has as much to do with whether or not they're 2D or 3D, but i do agree that the 2D games are more challenging. But i also think that the games have been getting slightly easier as they progress. :/ Maybe not puzzle wise (Twilight Princess puzzle to get the sword was ridiculously hard for me xD) Zelda II is one of the hardest games for me, but it might be because of how different it is than all the ones i am used to.

Like Random said, in the 2D games there are less to almost look at? So it's in a way simpler, which makes it harder as the 3D games adjust us to the more complex surroundings and good hints.

Z

zbygy9

I agree with the combat being harder. Could be because I started in 3d. I'm playing through ALTTP right now actually, and I find that I have to usually brings some fairies/potions with me to most of the dungeons... Otherwise it is far more challenging combat wise. The older games are also so much less linear... So many more secrets and item upgrades are scattered throughout Hyrule, leaving the player with a lot more initiative to just go exploring in comparison to the new games. Exploring is there in the new games, but it feels so much more open and things seem more "secretive" in the older games.

:huh:

They're not harder.

It's because you're used to the 3D games and/or find the style of them more comfortable. It took me less than a week to beat the original LoZ, and only 2 weeks to beat ALttP.

OoT, on the other hand, always takes me at least a month. MM and WW usually take two months.

I personally don't see how 2D could be harder... I mean, the puzzles were less convoluted, and there was only a 2D space to hide things in. A 3D space is inherently more complicated, because it adds height, depth, and camera angle to the equation. Not to mention that there are more items and more kinds of puzzles in the games than there once were.

OoT and MM are really the only 3D games that can actually claim to be hard, outside of the though, the 2D games tend to be harder overall. The newer games are becoming easier and easier as times go on. It's mainly due to the fact that the enemies are incredibly stupid and easy to defeat, there are only 2 enemies in newer games that are quite hard to kill. Both of those are enemies from TP's Snowhead Temple, even now though I can easily kill them.

The puzzles aren't that hard either, the puzzles found in the older games like LoZ seem to be a lot harder in my opinion. Even though there are more found within the newer games, they are stupidly easy too. Nintendo have just really dumbed down on the hardness of the puzzles, and I can say that for how to defeat the enemies to, Z-Targeting makes killing enemies much much harder than 2D games, infact, it boarders on just 'side step - slash - repeat', some times you don't even need the side step, it's just slash and the enemies dead.

The final bosses seem to be getting much easier to, I mean, I find the Double headed Dragon boss from LoZ harder than most bosses, and to prove my point that games are getting harder, the Great Deku Tree's boss from OoT is just as hard as the Temple of Time's boss from TP. That's how dumbed down the bosses are getting, I find most of the bosses from LoZ harder than the bosses in any 3D game. The strategy is harder and you haven't got Navi to help you discover the strategy needed to kill each boss either, you actually need to use your brain.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Eh.

Really, I personally think the 2D games provided more difficulty. The puzzles were more difficult as was combat. However, the controls were a lot clunkier and there was less you could do to avoid damage. Today, we have much more stylized combat. You can flip away, roll, dodge left and right... there is a lot you can do these days to avoid damage. While battle has become more interesting, it's also become easier because of what you can do.

On top of that, the target market has changed. In the older days, people who played games were experienced with all sorts of games, thus games were created to please that group of consumers. Today, however, we have all sorts of gamers, and a lot of them aren't as experienced as others. So, in order to attract more consumers, the difficulty has to be lowered so everybody can enjoy it.

It's not like the newer games don't have the potential to be difficult- look at Ninja Gaiden! It's still pretty hard. Take Operation Flashpoint for example- very difficult compared to most of today's shooters. Most people get rid of it because it's "too hard". So, a lot of games like Zelda are dumbed down so everybody from experienced gamers to newbies can enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom