• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2014 Mafia Awards Suggestion/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
So, since most people were in favour of our own mini awards, I thought we could get a thread going for ideas and volunteers and suggestions and shtuff and things and such as in South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and...

Kay, so here's whats on the docket:
  • We need suggestions for award categories. Best Overall Player (maybe split into male and female?), best mod, best support player, best game/theme, most improved player, etc etc.
  • We need to figure out how we're going to do the awards. Same way as the GKAs? (Where you vote for one person for each category).
  • We'll need one or two volunteers to count the votes.
  • We'll need one or two volunteers to make banner tags.
  • When should we start voting? When should voting end? When should awards go out? etc.
Any further suggestions, ideas and discussion relating to this topic is welcome.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Whoa... This is the first I've heard of this. *crawls out from under his rock*

Give me some time to think up award names and check my docket. I am interested in helping, when I can.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I could help make banners and shtuff if you want. I like doing that kind of stuff!

I could also help count votes.

I say do it the same way as the GKAs, but only vote for a single person per category, and maybe only split it up into one voting stage or something.

I think you should split the awards up to be more specific. For example: Best townie, best mafia, etc. Maybe even add silly ones like weirdest/tackiest play style, most confusing posts, etc. Just to make it more fun!

JJ 4 most annoying spammer 2013

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I can help if possible :bubsy:

---

The GKAs were organised well but I think there could be some tweaking to make this award system more efficient. Instead of having multiple people dominate each category only allow one person to take part in a maximum of 3-4 categories. I was thinking that votes should be done in a private fashion through a PM maybe, I doubt that will come into fruition but I think it's a lot fairer that way.

Possible categories (keep in mind that my experience is still quite limited in Mafia)

Best Overall Player
Best Townie
Best Mafia
Best Scum Hunter
Most Deceiving/Best Lier
Best Game (This will go to Mod/Co Mod)
Best Theme (Again, this will go to Mod/Co Mod)
Best Mod
Most Spmamy
Best Comic Relief in Mafia
Best Analyst
Best Vig
Best Godfather
Best Doctor
Best Serial Killer
Best Cop
Best Newcomer
Most Improved
Most Manipulative
Most Unpredictable
Most Trustworthy
Most Influential

These are just suggestions for now, this is a great idea by the way ;p

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I'm still wary of this idea, but let's not knock it before we try it. First and foremost, lets lay down the law. If we're following the rules of the GKAs, then we should go ahead and prevent users from winning the same category twice. Furthermore, we need to be choosey with the categories we select. I'm strongly against a comedy category, as that encourages spam, and spam in mafia games is often discouraged. I don't care if they're considered joke categories (as Xyphon proposed), they're just going to encourage users to act stupid, post off-topic messages, distract other users, and derail the game/ruin it for everyone. I'm fine with most of the other categories people have suggested.

If need be, I'm willing to help with banner creation. Just let me know what kind of design you're going for. ;)

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I'm willing to help in anything at all.

Best Mafia
Most Deceiving/Best Lier

These two might be the same to me. Because really, only the mafia are the lying players.

Best Scum Hunter
Best Analyst

And these two are pretty much the same. Scum hunting is analyzing posts basically.

Unless I'm just not getting it and they are actually different, so please explain. X3

Otherwise I think those are good. =) Should there be a Best co-mod maybe too?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
These two might be the same to me. Because really, only the mafia are the lying players.

Maybe I should rephrase "Best Mafia" then. Maybe "Most Effective Mafia Player". Basically that award should be for the best player when on the Mafia team. I think are some subtle differences between the two but if people think they are too similar then it would probably be best to combine them.

Rachel

be vigitant
I think there should be some requirements for the categories involving specific roles because they're (supposed to be) random. Like, the nomination/award should be based on performance in a specified game, IMO.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I think there should be some requirements for the categories involving specific roles because they're (supposed to be) random. Like, the nomination/award should be based on performance in a specified game, IMO.

Makes sense I guess. I assume you mean, for example voting/nominating in this fashion:

Best Cop: Pancake for his role in Legacy Mafia

rather than just:

Best Cop: Littlegumball (now you have no idea which game I am referring to)

Justac00lguy said:
I was thinking that votes should be done in a private fashion through a PM maybe, I doubt that will come into fruition but I think it's a lot fairer that way.

This also crossed my mind, yet the PMing of votes is a double edged sword. Yes, people won't be influenced by others' votes, but this could also lead to the manipulation of votes. I'm not saying I don't trust ZDers, it's just that the open thread setup allows people to look back on votes if they wish to dispute something later.

Other than that, I'm game for most suggestions in this thread, especially the notions to only be allowed to nominate one person per category, a cap on the number of awards each person can win, and arule that prevents the winners of one year's awards from winning the same category consecutively.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Maybe I should rephrase "Best Mafia" then. Maybe "Most Effective Mafia Player". Basically that award should be for the best player when on the Mafia team. I think are some subtle differences between the two but if people think they are too similar then it would probably be best to combine them.

Oh yeah, that makes more sense, thank you. X3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom