• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Imagine if this really happened.
096.jpg

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Imagine if this really happened.
096.jpg
Oh, it's going to happen. Jose otero, the guy reviewing it, seems so incredibly biased against Xenoblade. He has done nothing but complain about the rap of the game, calling each quest of the game a "fetch quest", and being so bigoted. He was even whining on Twitter on how he doesn't have a Skell even though he is "30 hours in". Such an idiot.... Not only that, but when he was previewing the Japanese version of the game, he says "I keep getting lost, and this world isn't as memorable as Fallout 3". It baffles me on how he is even reviewing the game when he isn't even halfway done with it, but I know his review score is going to be trivial, dumb, and stupid. Every other review site is glowing about this game and is loving it. It doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws. For example, siliconera wasn't fond of its beginning. That is a legitimate complaint of the game.... What Jose is doing, is being a scrub, not playing the game right, and nitpicking the reasons why this game exists. Is Xenoblade X perfect? No. But Jose is not choosing the actual flaws of the game, and is just seeing his stupidity as a flaw of the game.

Every other review site is glowing about this game and is loving it.
This is the main point here. 95% of review sites are calling the game some kind of amazing they have never seen before. They would be correct. Jose Otero is just a biased person who can't see past his petty hatred of the game. I think he is pissed that a game this good is on the WiiU. If it was on the PS4 he'd be glowing about it.

Europe And Australians - I have some news for you.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is finally in our eShop. You can not pre-purchase it yet or pre-download the 10GB packs yet. They should come either tomorrow or the next day if Nintendo keeps to their word.
We all know it has to be close to the release date when NoE gets off their ass and does something. NoE are always the last to advertise and release games (Yoshi's Woolly World excepted).

Europe And Australians - I have some news for you.

The Xenoblade Chronicles X download packs are finally up in the eShop.
I tis best to download them now if you are getting the on disc version of the game. That is what I am doing. Letting them all download. Will take a while at it's 10GB. Well worth it so you can have a better play experience on December 4/5.

The early reviews for the game seem to be rather positive: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/xenoblade-chronicles-x

A lot of the praise for the game comes for its expansive world that can be fully explored and the beautiful and varied set pieces that accompany them. The game already has a massive sense of scale on foot, but this is only amplified further upon receiving a Skell. Of course a lot of the praise also centers around the real-time Arts battle system that returns from the original Xenoblade Chronicles with some minor tweaks. Interactions among party members appear to be as dynamic as ever with affinity missions scattered about once again rounding out character relations in story and battle.

A few of the complaints I've seen listed is that some of the monster battles can become a bit tedious later in the game and the gathering missions provide little to no guidance as to where to find resources. I'll admit there were some confusing material quests in Xenoblade Chronicles, and this will probably be amplified in the larger world of X, but it isn't too big of a complaint. A few people complained about receiving Skells too late into the game, but most seemed to have enough missions to tide them over until then. Other than that, some reviewers pointed out that the character customization is a bit limited compared to some other RPGs, and the main character being mostly mute can be hard to bond to.

It seems the final product is as about as good as expected. I'm not really sure why people assumed there wouldn't be a bit of a learning curve going into this game, since every RPG requires some time to get used to its mechanics, but the payoff is well deserved if the world is well crafted and the characters are worth caring about. I'm definitely looking forward to playing this one.

Here are some of the early reviews:

Nintendo Everything - Thumbs Up
Gamespot - 8/10
Polygon - 7/10
Nintendo Life - 9/10
Destructoid - 9/10
Nintendo World Report - 9.5/10
Eurogamer - Essential
Gamesradar - 3.5/5
Gamereactor - 10/10
Game Informer - 7.25/10

After reading most of these reviews most of the negativity surrounding this game is the reviewers not liking what XCX is.
  • They complained the game pacing is too slow. Polygon even said "things progress in XCX as a glacial pace".
  • Complaintsabout taking so long to get a Skell. That's the whole point though. Skells are not the first up travel mode. Skells exist to even further explore areas late game and kill even tougher mosters. Some reviews did not understand this.
  • Some reviewers even complained that the game is too indept and has too much info on the screen at once. That's the whole point, this is a very indepth game. You will take time to learn it all.

Most of the negative comments revolve around the lack of instant gratification in XCX that most games have. XCX is not crack cocaine like Super Mario is. You can't jsut pick XCX up and instantly know what to do and go stomping through the game. You will have to earn all your vuctories in XCX by time spent learning how the game works and exploring the world. These reviewers didn't like that you have to learn about the game first. In short their final review scores were lower because XCX is XCX, a very long and in depth RPG.

If you do not like long JRPGs then do not buy XCX. They just docked it review score points because they hated what XCX is. Sure XCX is not perfect but complaining about what XCX is, that's poor reviewing.

Also there is this phenomenon (copy/pasted from a forum):
When Nintendo has many tutorials, NINTENDO IS HOLDING OUR HAND TOO MUCH.
Now, XENOBLADE X IS TOO COMPLICATED AND NO ONE IS HOLDING OUR HAND

It's pretty true unfortunately.

Two alien races fighting over worlds colonised by Humans and destroying them . . . hmmm where have I seen this before? . . . . Yeah thanks Blizzard in Starcraft.
Just a little jab at XCX but it's cool. This reuse of a tried and tested theme does not diminish XCX's awesomeness at all.

Last edited:

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I watched those video reviews and they're contradictory, which just proves to me that you gotta just test it out yourself.

I watched those video reviews and they're contradictory, which just proves to me that you gotta just test it out yourself.
They are because many of the people reviewing the games are either simply pissed this is a WiiU exclisive or are not JRPG fans and not willing to take the time to really learn everything. They expect instant gratification like in Mario. Spend 2 minutes, beat level 1-1 and you're happy. XCX is spend 1 hour and you've done a few quests at most.

XCX will have polarising reviews, but we spart people can differentiate the good reviews from the bad ones.

Polygon's review is an example of a bad one. Here's a comparison between two of their reviews:
"Fallout 4 - A bugfest at launch with single-digit framerate drops: 9.5/10
Xenoblade Chronicles X - The combat screen is cluttered: 7/10"

Sure FO4 is better than just a glitchy bigfest. It's a solid game. But saying it's so much better than XCX, 2.5 points of score better is just plain wrong. XCX will not be universally loved. The review scores are provimg this.

To me XCX is like science. Not everyone is smart enough or willing to take the time to understand it. But those that do will discover something so spectacularly amazing it changes their lives for ever.
I do believe XCX is one of those life changing games that you will remember playing years after the fact. Just like WoW and FF7 etc etc. Not cause of the tech specs of the games, but cause their amazingness.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
They are because many of the people reviewing the games are either simply pissed this is a WiiU exclisive or are not JRPG fans and not willing to take the time to really learn everything. They expect instant gratification like in Mario. Spend 2 minutes, beat level 1-1 and you're happy. XCX is spend 1 hour and you've done a few quests at most.

XCX will have polarising reviews, but we spart people can differentiate the good reviews from the bad ones.

Polygon's review is an example of a bad one. Here's a comparison between two of their reviews:
"Fallout 4 - A bugfest at launch with single-digit framerate drops: 9.5/10
Xenoblade Chronicles X - The combat screen is cluttered: 7/10"

Sure FO4 is better than just a glitchy bigfest. It's a solid game. But saying it's so much better than XCX, 2.5 points of score better is just plain wrong. XCX will not be universally loved. The review scores are provimg this.

To me XCX is like science. Not everyone is smart enough or willing to take the time to understand it. But those that do will discover something so spectacularly amazing it changes their lives for ever.
I do believe XCX is one of those life changing games that you will remember playing years after the fact. Just like WoW and FF7 etc etc. Not cause of the tech specs of the games, but cause their amazingness.
Might I add that Polygon was so stupid..... There are options... In the options menu, that allows you to turn off practically all of the User Interface.... Polygon was complete idiots....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom