• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's The Appeal In American Football?

I'm not much of a sports player myself, and I tend not to spectate (read: watch on TV) outside of major international events; however, I find most sports rather enjoyable to get into, or at least watch.

The biggest exception to this is American football. No matter how I try to wrap my head around the sport, I can't see the appeal in two teams of guys slugging each other. I've also always felt queasy watching football due to the potential for head concussions even while wearing helmets.

Perhaps I should give the sport another try with the Super Bowl occurring tomorrow. If you enjoy playing or watching others play American football, what do you enjoy about the sport? Why is it such a hit in the United States?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
As a fan of English football and someone who's not really a big follower of American sports in general, I find it really hard to get into.

My cousin is currently living in Canada on a scholarship and when he's back here on his holidays, he always tries to get me to watch American football and... it's just not for me. First off, I'm not a big Rugby fan either (that's the closest thing we have to that here), so watching a game that seems to play at quite a slow pace (stop, start, stop, start) doesn't exactly excite me.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
As a non-fan of sports, both kinds of football are the least boring to watch, so for someone like me it's just the lack of anything else to do at my grandparents' house. Honestly I'd rather watch three hours of football, where people constantly come into contact with each other, than three minutes of baseball, where literally nothing happens and it's a bunch of close-ups of men standing around furiously chewing gum and/or tobacco.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
All of the sports are boring as **** to watch imo; the appeal is in making predictions and in getting really loud with family/friends. The sports are far better to play, but obviously that isn't the topic of the thread...

Reactions: Dio

Djinn

and Tonic
Growing up in the south, and in a college town I have had a lot of football in my life. I have played a lot of it, watched a lot of it, and been to many games.

I've been asked by a few people why it is interesting in the past and it is never an easy thing to answer. It's a mix of things, not just the players, but their skill, and thei ability to get through the other team, and the tactics they use to get there. It is not a sport where a team can be carried by a single great player, it is definitely a team effort on all sides including the coach.

I guess one of the easiest ways to describe how it can be fascinating to someone is that it is basically War:the Sport. Broken down you have your armored soldiers out in the open field, they form a defensive line against the enemy. Their job is to fight their way through the opposition and invade the enemy territory. The coach takes the place of the general in the back line giving the tactics and commands to the soldiers down on the field. The players make the plays and through combined superior strength, tactics, and skill they pull through.

2XvsXb9.jpg

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
While I find football incredibly boring, I assume that the appeal is in the strategy, and analyzing teams and trying to figure out which ones are more likely to win. I think it's more fun if you actually follow the games, instead of just watching one game, which is definitely boring. But I don't know; I don't like sports.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
It's in the strategy. Watching a play unfold is really interesting if you know what's going on. Or watching a big run where someone goes through/dodges 3-4 guys before being taken down or scoring a TD. I think my favorite part is watching a really great QB throw an amazing pass.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Speaking as someone who follows proper football or as you call it soccer and not rugby for people who are scared to get hurt, or as you refer to it, American football... I have no idea ;)

octorok74

TETTAC
Nothing is appealing about it. And I'm not just saying that because the Bears suck and I live close to chicago. Nothing is appealing about American football. It's a bunch of big guys running into each other. Take away the padding and maybe I'll be interested. But these players stub their toe and then they don't play for weeks. What babies. Proper football is way more interesting.

Fig

The Altruist
I never understood the appeal of American football nor do I plan to care in the near future. I've attempted many times to get into the sport, but it just doesn't appeal. The only "football" I care about is the one that every other country plays, which is of course known as fútbol. I will admit this may be due to the fact that I do come from an Hispanic background where fútbol is the main sport to spectate/play as a pastime.

yozo67

Hero of Time
I'd also like to point out that the term "proper football" is really idiotic.

The British invented the term "Soccer" to begin with, and just because one came after the other, doesn't mean the first one is any type of "proper".

Also, Canadian football is the same as American, so don't just put it on us, Mr. British Dominion of Canada.

I think part of the appeal is the immediate bond with other fans. I prefer watching soccer only in person and I'm a huge fan of rugby, so I'm not totally anti-sports like my one coworker, but I can't get into football for whatever reason. So when all my coworkers (besides one) talk about football, the only real thing I can add is "I like the part with the tight pants and butts". I feel a little excluded, and I know they aren't doing it on purpose, but there you have it.

Of course, my dad and middle brother talk mainly about sports with each other, so I'm used to it.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Nothing is appealing about it. And I'm not just saying that because the Bears suck and I live close to chicago. Nothing is appealing about American football. It's a bunch of big guys running into each other. Take away the padding and maybe I'll be interested. But these players stub their toe and then they don't play for weeks. What babies. Proper football is way more interesting.
You have got to be kidding me. Football is the #1 sport for injuries, there are way more serious injuries in football than rugby. You can tackle people with your head, and there are tons of blindside tackles. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And "proper" football is pretty much dive city, so I'm not even sure how you can say that soccer players are less wimpy than football players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom