• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW Ganondorf; Why Is He Stone?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Now I know there is a thread somewhere around here about whether or not WW Ganondorf died at the end of WW or if he was merely just turned to stone until one day the Master Sword is pulled from his body. This is not like that. I want to know why he was turned to stone and not just killed like any normal person would have been.

I know that Ganondorf has powers, but we know that at the time the Master Sword was plunged into his head, he did not have the ToP. This would make it hard for him to stay alive or just inanimate without dying. I want to know what you guys think about this. What kept him as stone rather than a blood stain on the carpet?

I personally think that Nintendo purposely did this for some later game. I feel as though somehow he may still be alive until someone pulls the Master Sword or maybe someone will extract his spirit to bring out Ganon.

Thoughts?

Hmm. I think it was just the general design of the game. It was cartoon-ish, therefore there's not a lot of room for blood and gore. It was pretty surprising to see the MS stabbed pretty much all the way through Ganondorf's skull, but to have him fall over and bleed out is obviously out of the question for a game like WW.

Other than it was just a way to show he died in a more cartoon-like way, I would have to say the only other option would be that the power of the MS did it. A man of great evil, having the MS, the blade of evil's bane, stabbed through his skull and into his intestines. It probably just emanated power throughout his entire body and encased it in stone.

I think Ganondorf will eventually return on the AT, but as I stated in another thread, having him come back to life just by pulling out the MS is going to be a little rediculous. Of course, this is probably what will happen, but it won't make sense. Ganondorf didn't have the ToP to keep him alive after being stabbed, so he should have died regardless.

dont forget that only a person pure of heart can touch the sword, also known as the hero of time, so if someone was to take the sword out because they want to release ganondorf, then they couldnt

dont forget that only a person pure of heart can touch the sword, also known as the hero of time, so if someone was to take the sword out because they want to release ganondorf, then they couldnt

Only a person of pure heart can touch the sword? Where did you hear that?

The only time the "hero of time" was the only one who could pull out the sword was OoT. That was the only Hero of Time, but Link pulled it out in TP and ALttP. If you said only a destined hero can wield the MS, it would make more sense.

Megamannt125

Blue Link

The only time the "hero of time" was the only one who could pull out the sword was OoT. That was the only Hero of Time, but Link pulled it out in TP and ALttP. If you said only a destined hero can wield the MS, it would make more sense.
This reminds me of an idea I had a while back, the scenario was Dark Link pulled the Master Sword from Ganondorf's body, because technically Dark Link would be a Dark version of the "chosen wielder".

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
You might be right. Perhaps Nintendo left G-man as a stone statue for future uses in other Wind Waker like games? Ganondorf will always make a good foe for Link imo.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...

I believe that I've heard someone say that in SNES version of ALttP one time. I'm not sure who it was though but I think that it was Sahalrasha who told you that. I don't have a quote at the moment to show you what I'm referring to though. Sorry.

Anyways getting back to the topic of the thread, I personally see this as a way of the producers "preserving" him until his possible return in a later game for the AT. Although, like DL01, or in this case DarkLink the Wise :P , pointed out earlier that it wouldn't make sense if this happened to be the case.

Other than that reason, the only other why I see why that it worked out like that was also pointed out by DL01, it was a cartoonish game, so having that kind of violence in there wouldn't work with the environment that the game was put into.

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Hmm. I think it was just the general design of the game. It was cartoon-ish, therefore there's not a lot of room for blood and gore. It was pretty surprising to see the MS stabbed pretty much all the way through Ganondorf's skull, but to have him fall over and bleed out is obviously out of the question for a game like WW.

Other than it was just a way to show he died in a more cartoon-like way, I would have to say the only other option would be that the power of the MS did it. A man of great evil, having the MS, the blade of evil's bane, stabbed through his skull and into his intestines. It probably just emanated power throughout his entire body and encased it in stone.

I think Ganondorf will eventually return on the AT, but as I stated in another thread, having him come back to life just by pulling out the MS is going to be a little rediculous. Of course, this is probably what will happen, but it won't make sense. Ganondorf didn't have the ToP to keep him alive after being stabbed, so he should have died regardless.

I do understand where you're coming from, but if they wanted him to die in a toon way, they could have come up with something that actually makes you believe he died. They could have had him randomly blow up or something. Whenever you beat a monster they fell over and their bodies blew up (so to speak). They could have done some sort of fancier blowing up action with Ganondorf, but instead they kept him in stone. The main thing I would like to point out is that his body and his image still remains due to the fact that he is stone. If they wanted WW to be the end of Ganondorf then turning him to stone was the worst way to do it.

Keep in mind that there is a point in WW when you are in Hyrule Castle where all the monsters are turned to stone. When Link pulls the Master Sword they are animated once again. Ganondorf was turned to stone so who is to say that once the Master Sword is pulled he won't be animated once again just like his minions?

You are focusing too much on the fact that he doesn't have the ToP. We have obviously seen that he can come back without the ToP (seeing as how he is resurrected every other game). You should be focusing on the fact that they didn't utterly destroy him. They didn't destroy his body. The fact that his body is still around seems to be a big hint that he is coming back at some point. Heck, maybe he will be brought back in ST. We have absolutely no idea who the villain is going to be in that game so who knows.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

Yeah you're right about there not being much room for blood, guts, and gore and i also belive he eventually will come back in the at but you're forgetting something. While ganny is indeed human you forget that he is the human incarnation of ganon the hylian devil. And the reason he was turned to stone in ww instead of a blood stain is a mystery that we're trying to solve. My theory is that the ms simply didn't have enough juice to kill ganondorf in one giant blow to the head (after all even in oot it still couldn't completely kill ganon/dorf) and thus his body was petrified (turned to stone) after that blow and eventually he might return the same way he did in tp (ganny finds host. host gets some of ganny's power. host does something evil in his place. ganny gets his own body. ganny takes over and puts host in second in command.).

Yeah you're right about there not being much room for blood, guts, and gore and i also belive he eventually will come back in the at but you're forgetting something. While ganny is indeed human you forget that he is the human incarnation of ganon the hylian devil.

That's not true. No where in any game, manual, or any interview has ever confirmed that Ganon is some being or spirit within Ganondorf. It is speculated deeply by some people, but its only a theory, not a fact.

angelkid

TRR = SWEET
I do understand where you're coming from, but if they wanted him to die in a toon way, they could have come up with something that actually makes you believe he died. They could have had him randomly blow up or something. Whenever you beat a monster they fell over and their bodies blew up (so to speak). They could have done some sort of fancier blowing up action with Ganondorf, but instead they kept him in stone. The main thing I would like to point out is that his body and his image still remains due to the fact that he is stone. If they wanted WW to be the end of Ganondorf then turning him to stone was the worst way to do it.

Keep in mind that there is a point in WW when you are in Hyrule Castle where all the monsters are turned to stone. When Link pulls the Master Sword they are animated once again. Ganondorf was turned to stone so who is to say that once the Master Sword is pulled he won't be animated once again just like his minions?

You are focusing too much on the fact that he doesn't have the ToP. We have obviously seen that he can come back without the ToP (seeing as how he is resurrected every other game). You should be focusing on the fact that they didn't utterly destroy him. They didn't destroy his body. The fact that his body is still around seems to be a big hint that he is coming back at some point. Heck, maybe he will be brought back in ST. We have absolutely no idea who the villain is going to be in that game so who knows.

Excellent point well made. Good observation pointing out about all the Moblins and Darknuts being turned to stone. That really supports the idea of Ganondorf being able to be re-animated. Personally, I think it'd be awesome if in say ST, there is a main antagonist (not Ganon/dorf) and Link needs the MS, so he pulls it from Ganon/dorf's head and as he is swimming away Ganondorfs eye snaps open, like in some horror movie. Then Once Link defeats the antagonist, he then has to fight Ganondorf. This would make it nice and long and also it would give us something new.

Personally, I think Ganondorf turning to stone is one of three things. The first possibility, is that Ganondorf turned to stone to show a TOTAL death, like to prove he was gone forever. It's not all too easy to turn from stone to flesh. However, I think if this were so, Link would then smash him with his hammer once he turned to stone, at least that is how I see it. The second option would be to show the true power of the Master Sword, alot of people doubt it's real power, especially after it is overpowered in OoT by the Biggoron Sword, so perhaps Nintendo just wanted to display how powerful it really was. I think the third reason this could have happened would be to show that Ganondorf's soul (or Spirit) was still there inside that stone, and that he therefore could be resurrected. The reason I put Spirit in brackets was for the pur reason that I think this is what ST could be about, it'd make perfect sense, and it would show that Nintendo had been thinking ahead.

You are focusing too much on the fact that he doesn't have the ToP. We have obviously seen that he can come back without the ToP (seeing as how he is resurrected every other game). You should be focusing on the fact that they didn't utterly destroy him.

Okay. Ganon had the MS stabbed down his throat in OoT. He survived because he had the ToP. Ganondorf was impaled with the MS at the end of TP. We seen the ToP seem to disperse from his hand, but we don't know what happened. In fact, for FSA to make sense coming after TP on the timeline, you would have to believe that Ganondorf did not die at the end of TP. So apparently, though he may have lost the ToP, he survived. Or maybe he didn't lose it. Who knows?

The only other two times that Ganon has been defeated was LoZ and ALttP. LoZ, he had the ToP, but he actually physically lost it after he was destroyed by the silver arrows. Same goes for ALttP, but he didn't actually have the Triforce in that game apparently.

What I'm getting at, is that Ganon/dorf has never been defeated without the ToP and lived.

Those monsters didn't have a sword sticking in their head and running halfway down their bodies. They were turned to stone because Hyrule was "frozen". The MS was like a key of sorts the unfroze Hyrule Castle.

They didn't destroy his body. The fact that his body is still around seems to be a big hint that he is coming back at some point. Heck, maybe he will be brought back in ST. We have absolutely no idea who the villain is going to be in that game so who knows.

Just because his body didn't curiously vanish doesn't mean he didn't die. As I said, I agree that they will likely bring him back. Its almost certain that he will come back after WW. But it won't make sense. A sword is stabbed through his skull. It doesn't make sense for anyone or anything to come back from that. His body may not have exploded or vanished, but in my opinion its a pretty useless body now that half of its vital organs have been severed.

I believe someone called for a quote about the Master Sword being only obtainable by one who is pure?

"This mighty weapon became known as the blade of evil’s bane, or the Master Sword. It was so powerful that only one who was pure of heart and strong of body could wield it."

-The Imprisoning War
A Link to the Past Manual

octorok74

TETTAC
I agree with the people who say that it might be used for other games. For all we know, that may be the pedastal in Spirit Tracks, just Ganondorf doesn't kill you once you take it out.

Link is the Hero of Time in all games. TP, OoT, most of them at least, thats because, whether they say It or not in the game, he still is the hero of time, he reapears over time to slay evil... Duh

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom